Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to repair a "hinge" on the passenger side pocket on the trunk. One of the hinge tips broke off and the pocket cover blew off and went far, far away--never to be found again! I've got a new cover, but need to fix the hinge tip. I was planning to use a sawed off brad/nail/tack as the fix. However, in reading up on Super Glue (and its many variations) they say not to use it on polyethylene or polypropylene plastics. Does anyone know what the plastic is that is used on these pockets?

Thanks,
Jon
(grayowl)

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
A lot of people use JB weld on a lot of plastic parts on the Gold Wing

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Welcome to the forum. As Joe has said, JB works well.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I use plumbing pvc glue - the version that says ABS on the front of the can. Works great. Allow a long time to dry, at least 24 hrs

·
Registered
10 Posts
Try "plastifix"

Google "Plastifix". There's also a video on Google and YouTube that demostrates how the product works.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Any of these 'fixes' should work for you Greyowl. I have a small crack in my lower front cowling (I'm sure the mechanic that did the PDI overtightened the fastener, but of course "it wasn't there when he did the checklist") so I'm going to repair it myself, likely with the JB. On all ABS repairs make sure to keep the repair away from the painted surface(s) or you will end up needing a body repair shop to fix the finish.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts