Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody taken the bypass (to avoid Salt Lake City) from Ogden to Provo UT? Specifically I-84 and then 189 southbound, I-15 can be such a terrible traffic snarl. Want to get the missus to Bryce Canyon but hate the thought of SLC traffic. Have a major trip in the works so want to give herself the nicest possible routing with the least amount of ugly roads.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Did t do that on our Alaska ride . I needed Nevada so we came to SLC on i80 and cut thru some secondary roads to Provo. Didn’t go to Bryce Canyon but do have a recommendation for US 6 out of Provo if you have a chance. Great road to Colorado.

·
Super Moderator
14,126 Posts

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting and thanks Mark. I had I-15 stuck in my head to the Utah border since I've always gone that route. Need to open my mind some more I think. Gives me a good starting place for sure.

·
Super Moderator
28,043 Posts
Interesting and thanks Mark. I had I-15 stuck in my head to the Utah border since I've always gone that route. Need to open my mind some more I think. Gives me a good starting place for sure.

Or come to the western side of Utah and we meet in Wendover at the Speedway, then work our way to Bryce.

:pokeit:

·
Registered
964 Posts
Has anybody taken the bypass (to avoid Salt Lake City) from Ogden to Provo UT? Specifically I-84 and then 189 southbound, I-15 can be such a terrible traffic snarl. Want to get the missus to Bryce Canyon but hate the thought of SLC traffic. Have a major trip in the works so want to give herself the nicest possible routing with the least amount of ugly roads.
I'm in Utah and the route Mark outlined is a good one! I've personally rode this route from Evanston Wy. To Provo Utah. You won't see much traffic at all! The construction from SLC to Provo on 15 is nasty! You don't want any thing to do with it. Even though your trip is a ways off construction on Utah roads is very slow. Hit me up when you come through I'll see about a day off and ride with ya for a bit! Some nice high-speed curves from Evanston to Kimball junction. If you're interested!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
14,126 Posts
I'm in Utah and the route Mark outlined is a good one! I've personally rode this route from Evanston Wy. To Provo Utah. You won't see much traffic at all! The construction from SLC to Provo on 15 is nasty! You don't want any thing to do with it. Even though your trip is a ways off construction on Utah roads is very slow. Hit me up when you come through I'll see about a day off and ride with ya for a bit! Some nice high-speed curves from Evanston to Kimball junction. If you're interested!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
There you go. I'll mark this down as an "even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then" moment.

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks JK, I will definitely keep that in mind.

Bones you just gotta keep twisting that pig sticker don't ya?!!>:)

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I've been busy printing route maps and possibles, checking hotels and overnight stops. She keeps saying it's too early to plan much because of my future knee surgery. Yeesh. like my knee is going to be worse than it is now...
Plan is slowly formulating and coming together. Just need an more solid outline and then I can really get down to business. Have to try and mix in work schedules. Denis will be getting his other knee replacement done somewhere down the road so that could become a timing issue but hopefully not.

·
Super Moderator
28,043 Posts
I'll talk to jaNice when I get back to the house and go over our dates. I'll be in touch

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm getting right wound up over this. It's a full year away and already I'm well into dreamland making plans and stopovers. Anticipation is such good fun!

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I've been busy printing route maps and possibles, checking hotels and overnight stops. She keeps saying it's too early to plan much because of my future knee surgery. Yeesh. like my knee is going to be worse than it is now...
Plan is slowly formulating and coming together. Just need an more solid outline and then I can really get down to business. Have to try and mix in work schedules. Denis will be getting his other knee replacement done somewhere down the road so that could become a timing issue but hopefully not.
I have come down that "Johns Valley road". Not sure where I picked up from I 70 but it was a good country road. We stayed at the Bryce Canyon Resort at intersection of 12 & 63. Quiet and good sleeping but its not the Grand Hilton.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Hi
If a person has the time, they should head East at Lyman instead of West and follow #12 all the way through Escalante.
I have been on this road a few times and it is awesome scenery and lots of turns.
Not busy and a lot of fun.
Zak

·
Super Moderator
14,126 Posts
Hi
If a person has the time, they should head East at Lyman instead of West and follow #12 all the way through Escalante.
I have been on this road a few times and it is awesome scenery and lots of turns.
Not busy and a lot of fun.
Zak
Hwy 12 does look excellent.

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So many plans, so little time LOL. Still have work to do on out itinerary for stopovers and lodging while on the way there. I am totally flexible on the way back as she'll be flying home and I'll be riding solo. Probably 5-6 days to get there (she needs shorter seat time) and an easy 3 days home since I can ride 12+ hours easy. Daylight might be an issue that time of year though.

On a different note, out Texas arrival has been changed from mid afternoon to late (very late) evening. Thanks to "Scare Canada" airline for that. Looks like Sunday is our only chance to hook up with any locals or visitors from outside the DFW area. Damn. would far rather be up early and flying to get there mid day than to have an easy departure and crappy arrival time.

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
We have our departure from here slated for the 28th of August. Probably stay in Ft Macleod that night, cross the border on the 29th and stay over around Dillon or so, maybe Twin Falls if she's good for that long a day. Need to show her Bryce Canyon and then Page. Through the Painted Desert to Flag and on to the Fossil residence/digs. Bill says there are a couple decent motels not far from them. Thinking 6 days to give her an easy ride of it. Return ride will be a bit different if I'm solo (she might fly back from Mesa), will cover lots of ground in a short time. Kinda like my return from PA a couple years ago, ride like the wind. I've driven it in the cage with the folks many times in 3 days, should be able to easily match that if I'm riding solo. Thought I might hit Monument Valley on the return but doesn't look like that fits the schedule. But I do have to do this I think:

·
Super Moderator
28,043 Posts
Sounds like an awesome plan young man and we will be ready.

We will be in touch as it gets closer

;)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just a tick over a week away and we're off to Dallas. We'll each have a mobile (she actually will have a US number) so I can PM anyone (the contacts) that wants to meet up with us on Sunday. Kind of sucks to lose Saturday to travel but that's life.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts