Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are planning a trip to Arkansas during the first part of November with some other Gold Wings and need some advise on jackets.

November in this part of the country can be unpredictable to say the least, it can be warm to hot or cool to cold, sometimes all in the same day and rain is always a possibility.

I don't have a trailer so I am limited to the saddle bags, trunk and luggage rack bag to carry everything we are going to need for the trip.

My biggest concern is jackets, we have mesh jackets with no liners which work great as long as it is warm to hot and have winter jackets which work great so long as it is cold but don't have good all around warm/cold jackets with zip out liners. We are looking at either the Olympia airglide 3 mesh jackets with zip out thermal liners or the Tourmaster transition 3 jackets very similar to the Olympia model. Anyone have any experience with either of these or have another suggestion for a jacket that can be used when it is either hot or cold? We have Frog Togs in case of rain but I don't think that we will have the option of taking multiple jackets along for the trip because of space limitations. It is going to be difficult enough just to get everything that we have to take along in the space that we will have.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

·
Registered
30 Posts
Check out Gerbings electrically heated jackets. They're light weight, you can wear them as a regular jacket or a jacket liner under a heavier type jacket if it gets really cold. They're perfect to throw in the bike for any type weather and save alot of room. Mine has a thermostat so you can just dial up the heat as needed. Not cheap but I've had mine for years and it works/looks just like new. :) Blake

·
Administrator
29,004 Posts

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check out Gerbings electrically heated jackets. They're light weight, you can wear them as a regular jacket or a jacket liner under a heavier type jacket if it gets really cold. They're perfect to throw in the bike for any type weather and save alot of room. Mine has a thermostat so you can just dial up the heat as needed. Not cheap but I've had mine for years and it works/looks just like new. :) Blake
Thanks Blake,

I have looked at the heated jackets, gloves, seats, grips etc but I already have a fair amount of added lights,gps, etc. on my Wing and don't want to overload what is possibly a heavily stressed alternator(I don't have a compufire alternator) so I am trying to avoid plugging anything else into the bike that will pull amperage.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's what I wear year round. Heavy enough in 40* weather, liner out in summer wear it when it's 90+. Plenty of ventilation. The nice thing about these are they're longer 3/4 length so they don't ride up on your back. I love my Rincon.:D

For you:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/67/906/16896/ITEM/Tour-Master-Rincon-Jacket.aspx

For her??????:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/68/922/22213/ITEM/Fieldsheer-Womens-Lena-2-0-Jacket.aspx
Thanks Fossil, we will check these out as well. I wish they came in high visibility yellow.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Bevman, like the ones fossli showed you, here's what Cindy and I wear year round. Our weather can range from the mid 90's right down to the mid 30's in our variable but usually short riding season. Rain is always a possibility and wind and other 'niceties' can crop up as well. These come with removeable rain-proof liners (in the pants as well) and the jackets have combination removeable quilted liners that work with our without the rain liner. Two vents on teh sleves, one in each side of the chest and one exhaust vent across the shoulder blades. Textile abrasion resistant material and ce protectors in the elbows, shoulders, and back. Comparable price to the Tourmaster products. No longer licensed by Honda (we got some of the last inventory almost two years ago) but JR still manufactures them. Their warranty service is exemplary. I broke a zipper (my own fault and I said so) and they replaced it n/c and all I paid was shipping back to them, they did the rest. They also sent me a rain liner (even though I bought the jacket through Honda) that was missing from my suit, also no charge. I will admit though, they look a tad funny on a BMW with all that logo on them.:p:D

Attachments

·
Administrator
29,004 Posts
Wow! I really like the looks of those Daryl.:D

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
My wife and I are planning a trip to Arkansas during the first part of November with some other Gold Wings and need some advise on jackets.

November in this part of the country can be unpredictable to say the least, it can be warm to hot or cool to cold, sometimes all in the same day and rain is always a possibility.

I don't have a trailer so I am limited to the saddle bags, trunk and luggage rack bag to carry everything we are going to need for the trip.

My biggest concern is jackets, we have mesh jackets with no liners which work great as long as it is warm to hot and have winter jackets which work great so long as it is cold but don't have good all around warm/cold jackets with zip out liners. We are looking at either the Olympia airglide 3 mesh jackets with zip out thermal liners or the Tourmaster transition 3 jackets very similar to the Olympia model. Anyone have any experience with either of these or have another suggestion for a jacket that can be used when it is either hot or cold? We have Frog Togs in case of rain but I don't think that we will have the option of taking multiple jackets along for the trip because of space limitations. It is going to be difficult enough just to get everything that we have to take along in the space that we will have.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Steve,

Deb and I just got back from a 1200 mile trip to Branson, Missouri and Eureka Springs, Arkansas. Our trailer wasn't ready for the trip as we took everything in the saddlebags and trunk and trunk bag for 4 days. It was a bit tight packing for the return trip with the gifts that we bought. Temperature swings were from the 50's to the 90's. I wore a Tourmaster Intake 3 mesh jacket that has 2 liners, a quilted winter liner and rain shell. I was comfortable in the upper fifties with the quilted liner. Deb has a mesh jacket without liner as she layered but was slightly on the cool side. You won't have room for 2 jackets without a trailer and the Tourmasters Transition jacket may be a bit warm in early November. I own one and only wear when temps are in the 50's or less. A mesh jacket with zip out liners with a long sleeve shirt and t-shirt should be adequate for this region this time of year. Deb previously had an Olympia hi viz textile jacket as this is a very nice jacket and is a bit warmer than an all mesh jacket as it has several solid panels in the construction. If the mesh jacket with liner is still a bit cool, wear your Frogg Tog jacket.

Dan

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bevman, like the ones fossli showed you, here's what Cindy and I wear year round. Our weather can range from the mid 90's right down to the mid 30's in our variable but usually short riding season. Rain is always a possibility and wind and other 'niceties' can crop up as well. These come with removeable rain-proof liners (in the pants as well) and the jackets have combination removeable quilted liners that work with our without the rain liner. Two vents on teh sleves, one in each side of the chest and one exhaust vent across the shoulder blades. Textile abrasion resistant material and ce protectors in the elbows, shoulders, and back. Comparable price to the Tourmaster products. No longer licensed by Honda (we got some of the last inventory almost two years ago) but JR still manufactures them. Their warranty service is exemplary. I broke a zipper (my own fault and I said so) and they replaced it n/c and all I paid was shipping back to them, they did the rest. They also sent me a rain liner (even though I bought the jacket through Honda) that was missing from my suit, also no charge. I will admit though, they look a tad funny on a BMW with all that logo on them.:p:D
Thanks,
I will see if we can find these to look at as well, they do look nice even in the "flesh" so to speak but why is it that so many jackets are primarily black? I don't get it, black is one of the worst colors for visibility, I really want to find some high vis yellow jackets. Joe Rocket made some Gold Wing jackets and still do but not in yellow, I rode with a couple of Gold Wings recently that had the Joe Rocket Gold Wing jackets in yellow but now that color is not available.:(

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Steve, white is also a high viz color which is why Deb and I both wear white mesh jackets and white Nolan helmets. Black is too hot for Texas. I also have a yellow Tourmaster Transitions winter jacket that is yellow.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Steve, white is also a high viz color which is why Deb and I both wear white mesh jackets and white Nolan helmets. Black is too hot for Texas. I also have a yellow Tourmaster Transitions winter jacket that is yellow.
I agree Dan, my wife and I both have white Shoei helmets for visibility. I appreciate your input on this because you are local to me and understand the conditions that we ride in firsthand. We are now looking at the Tourmaster Air Intake 3 jackets per your recommendation. Mesh jackets with zip out thermal liners will probably give us the most versatility, most of the riding in this area lean towards the warm side.

Thanks again:D

·
Premium Member
5,355 Posts
I just bought my wife and I the sedici brand rain suits with safety gear built in,100% waterproof with zip out liners for the jacket and pants, good for cold weather, always have a rain suit on and the price is right.

And the have a lifetime warranty. Got ours at www.cyclegear.com
They have stores all around the country. May not be what your looking for but they work for us.

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
Steve, I've got an Olympian mesh with rainproof liner. I've had it over five years and can't remember the model, but its an adventure touring style with full padding. From day one, the liner has been my daily jacket whether on the trike or not.

We also have the Gerbing jackets. Expensive yes, but on those days when its below thirty, you won't care what you paid. I've got gloves also and glad I do.

As for jacket colors, get the jacket that feels right and is priced within budget and add a hi-vis vest, which I often do especially at night or in rain.

I also have a luggage bag that will snap on your trunk rack.

I hope you know all of this is available for your use at any time. When our weather starts to cool, I'll bring what you need on one of our rides. And never buy what you can borrow so easily.

And while I'm here, why haven't we had a ride in a month?

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Steve, I've got an Olympian mesh with rainproof liner. I've had it over five years and can't remember the model, but its an adventure touring style with full padding. From day one, the liner has been my daily jacket whether on the trike or not.

We also have the Gerbing jackets. Expensive yes, but on those days when its below thirty, you won't care what you paid. I've got gloves also and glad I do.

As for jacket colors, get the jacket that feels right and is priced within budget and add a hi-vis vest, which I often do especially at night or in rain.

I also have a luggage bag that will snap on your trunk rack.

I hope you know all of this is available for your use at any time. When our weather starts to cool, I'll bring what you need on one of our rides. And never buy what you can borrow so easily.

And while I'm here, why haven't we had a ride in a month?
LOL Thanks Randy, all very good points and I appreciate the offer of the loan but we will probably still buy the all weather jackets because we need them anyway, I also already have the trunk rack bag.

As to why we haven't ridden together in a month, my wife and I and Kristee and Wayne attended Chapter R's rally about 3 weeks ago and skipped our chapters ride that week, next weekend rained, last weekend we had all the kids and grand kids here with us all weekend but we will be on the ride on Sunday this week.

See you then:D

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Hey Randy, long time no see. Been talking with Will Richardson, aka Willmax from Allen,Tx about a weekend trip up to Broken Bow. Can you take an overnighter? Steve, same invite to you guys too.

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
Dan, an overnighter is possible but with my schedule, not easy. And spending both days off away from Pam is seldom a good plan. But I do have vacation in October, days off will be 13th thru 21st. Can we do it then? I'll also be off Nov10-25. Might be kinda cold for Oklahoma then. I had hoped to pull a GWOF group together for Hill Country but no one responded to the thread except I seemed to have spurred other groups forming in Southeast and Northeast.

Steve, I also have a trailer. Since Pam is not able to do overnight trips, I rarely need it for just myself. So that's available also. When are you dates?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts