Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the planning stages for my first SS1000. I am back to work now, but will probably be off again in a couple of weeks for a while. We pretty much work when there is soomething in the shop, and if there is nothing there, we get sent home. Happens every summer. Anyways, next break we get at work, I plan on doing this ride. I will be leaving Austin Mn around 5:00 AM, and heading West on I-90. I will go until Rapid City, and then turn around and head back home. I was thinking going the extra 500 miles after a short rest at home, but will wait and see how I do on the first 1000 miles. If I do, I will head North out of Austin, and ride to Duluth, then turn around and head home.If anyone has any advice for me, my ears are open.

·
Administrator
29,023 Posts
Okay Big Daddy have fun. So not knowing all the rules to such an event I'll take a couple wacks at this.

Buy a pair of LD comfort shorts & their helmet liner as well. Cheap comfort believe me. When I say that the items are not really cheap but the benefit will far outweigh the cost. You may already have a doo rag but it won't wick moisture away like their helmet liner.

http://www.ldcomfort.com/

Be sure to stay well hydrated, Water Water Water & the occasional sports drink. Not Coffee at every stop or Iced Tea.

I would think that a big key to these events is calmness/smoothness, so relax with the bars don't tense up & keep your acceleration & deacceleration steady as well as smooth.

If you are an allergy sufferer as I am try wearing Breatheright strips. When I was racing I always wore one to help keep nasal passages open. They work.

Finally & most important. Be Safe. Hope this helps.

I'm sure Ibalee would have a lot more input but this is an Ole Fossil's opinion.

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
I am in the planning stages for my first SS1000. I am back to work now, but will probably be off again in a couple of weeks for a while. We pretty much work when there is soomething in the shop, and if there is nothing there, we get sent home. Happens every summer. Anyways, next break we get at work, I plan on doing this ride. I will be leaving Austin Mn around 5:00 AM, and heading West on I-90. I will go until Rapid City, and then turn around and head back home. I was thinking going the extra 500 miles after a short rest at home, but will wait and see how I do on the first 1000 miles. If I do, I will head North out of Austin, and ride to Duluth, then turn around and head home.If anyone has any advice for me, my ears are open.
In the midst of planning a couple myself....We shall see. Good Luck

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
I commend you on your motorcycling spirit. 1000 in 24 in an endurance run. I hope you enjoy the challenge, the preparation and the end reward for such a feat. Many see it as a mountain they have to climb.

I stay in the valley.

For me, it is a useless dangerous endeavor. My biggest fear is becoming too fatigued on a motorcycle, crash and never know it happened.

For me, I have to calculate it this way. My bike gets 40 miles per gallon. Gas is 4.00 a gallon. the math is easy. Fuel costs is .10 a mile. a 1,000 miles is $100 in gas and 24 hours spent on the road.

If I take those 24 hours, break them into 3 days; I can do a 1,000 miles and have a ball doing it. I watched me do it.

By the way.... I am originally from Brookings, SD and lived in Sioux Falls for a time. Your iron butt ride will go right past my old place and my old neighbor there is my brother. To start, it is only a couple of hundred miles down the road, but on the way, back, it could be a welcome oasis.

Don't mean to be negative about this challenge. I never understood climbing a mountain to just come down again. To risk life and limb for little gain. Is it just me that thinks this way?

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
make sure you eat, carry some food and water on the wing with you running out of calories is not a good thing to do

·
Premium Member
5,432 Posts
I see Ben Gay in your future my friend

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Good luck on your ride......it is on my bucket list for some day maybe.......right now a 300-500 mile day is enuf for me. I am planing on a long ride starting June 15 from Alabama to Wisconsin......but not in 24 hours...lol. (940 miles total ride one way)

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! I have no idea if I will make it or not, time will tell. I do know one thing tho, the 1500 sure is more comfortable then the 1200.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
I used my trunk liner plus two trash bags... a towel in the liner bag for moisture...and filled it with ice and gatorade. I also just ate power bars...lots of energy and less chance of the need a bowel movement while you are riding. :D jmop

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
My main advice is keep a wary eye for the critters. If it were me, I'd plan on doing it during the new moon. The deer and other road hazards tend to be out more on nights with a full moon. Good luck, and don't let your desire to finish lure you into taking excessive risk. If you get too tired to be safe, pull off and live another day to give it another shot.

·
Registered
9,536 Posts
In the midst of planning a couple myself....We shall see. Good Luck
I'm in with you on the planning stage we are set for the first day of our ride out to Beartooth and the west but the thing I have always keep in my head when on the road things may and do have to change sometimes and a safe a fun ride is first. Thanks IBALEE I did not think of the power bars I just hope they give me the power were I need it.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Your welcome...I learned from others and from some of my mistakes in the past. More important then eating though is hydration....hydration ...hydration. There is insensible fluid loss and with the wind currents around your body it escalates...especially on a hot day....cool drinks are also nice when you stop. I stay away from spicy food ..usually at the start of the day I will have two or three hard boiled eggs. Also I start drinking a day or two before alot of water to ensurei I am not dehydrated before I even start. I am still leaning from every ride I do. Remember that if you get exhausted or don't feel right to stop....nothing is worth getting hurt. If safety cannot prevail..then end it. jmop

If anyone is near New Mexico I would be open to riding ...even an IBA ride...and if anyone has a question about IBA please ask if I don't know I will find out. thanks Lee

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
I tried to make an Iron Butt ride on the way home with the '88 1500, but the weather stopped me. Good luck on your endeavor.

·
Registered
9,536 Posts
We will need someone to sign for us out in Des Moines is that a problem when you do your rides.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
We will need someone to sign for us out in Des Moines is that a problem when you do your rides.
The IBA encourages the members to talk about the association and the rides. I have gotten so bad that even at work when I interview people riding and long trips come up.... When your out and about you can get hotel staff to sign..talking to them and letting them know what you are attempting. Also gas stations yoiu can get them to sign as well. I have not had anyone tell me no to date.

Now when talking about this I do not recommend mentioning it to Law enforcement ....some states have laws against do rides like this...not specifically the laws were geared more towards things like the hollywood depictions..(Cannon Ball Run) but they empower those states with those kind of laws to confiscate your bike or fine you....so mum is the word...you know silence is golden thingy......:D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good luck on your ride......it is on my bucket list for some day maybe.......right now a 300-500 mile day is enuf for me. I am planing on a long ride starting June 15 from Alabama to Wisconsin......but not in 24 hours...lol. (940 miles total ride one way)
Too bad you were not going in Aug. Im rideing to a wedding in Green Bay WI, I plan to do it in two days though

·
Registered
50 Posts
Iron Butt Rides

I will have to agree with "LarryinSeattle." I can manage 500 - 600 miles comfortably even in exceptionally hot weather (last August - September in Arkansas and Texas). You can probably find a soft-sided cooler that will fit the trunk quite nicely and does reasonably well at keeping water and sports drinks cool to cold.

I've friends that can do it; they don't seem to mind walking around for a couple days like they hadn't been off a real horse for a week; one returned to Pittsburgh, PA from Sturgis in just over 24 hours; it's about 1400 miles.

Maybe it's age, maybe watching him walk around, or maybe the experience of trying to push the envelope...staying safe is paramount. Do it if you must, but do it safely always. If it requires several "training" runs that are shorter and get longer do those first.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
I did my SS1000 on the first day of my trip to the starting point of the Four Corners Tour and I spent weeks planning for it. Here's a few things that will help:

1. I completely agree with Fossil regarding the LDComforts. I wore the shorts and long sleeve shirt under a Tourmaster jumpsuit. Add a wet scarf (I can't remember the manufacturer) to keep my neck covered and cool and they worked like a champ. The scarf woould also drip onto the shirt, adding to the cooling. Anytime I fueled or stopped for a 5 minute break (every hour to 90 minutes), I made sure to soak the scarf and hydrate. Open all the vents on your riding jacket/suit.

2. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. I started drinking nothing but water and Gatorade for 4 days before my trip even started. I also had on-board hydration supplies. I put a small cooler on the back seat and then put camelbak bladders in the cooler, drilled holes so that the tubes could come out the top of the cooler and then clipped the tubes to the cargo net that was holding the cooler in place. I could reach back with my left hand and bring the bite valve to my mouth while I was moving. I put a 50-50 mix of water and Gatorade in one bladder and 100% water in the other. Just remember to blow back the fluid when you drink or you'll have hot water/mix in the tube when you drink the next time.

3. Stop for meals and plan on 30 minutes for each. Do not short yourself as this is a time when you have a chance to really stretch, bend, etc. All those things that you can't do while you're on the bike. Lay off the greasy food and concentrate on healthy amounts of sugars and carbs. Do not stuff yourself, but then again, don't short yourself either.

4. Clean your windscreen and all lights, especially if you're riding at night during your stops. It takes almost no time and when you don't do it in an area where the insects are thick, you'll have to deal looking through a very cruddy windscreen when you really need the visibility - especially in the late efternoon/evening. This also allows you to stretch, bend, etc without having to think about it!

5. If at any time it gets warmer than 98.6 degrees, having your jacket vents open, gloves off, even the visor open is doing nothing but making your blood hotter than your normal temperature and it will push you closer to heat exhaustion/stroke faster than you can possibly imagine. Close everything, cover everything and you'll be surprised how much more comfortable you will be. There is a reason why the people of the Sahara wear clothing that covers all of their skin and this is it.

6. Most importantly, if you feel out of sorts for any reason during your trip, STOP. Do not push yourself as this is a warning sign from your body that something is wrong. You're either nearing heat exhaustion or stroke and these need to be taken care of as soon as possible. The big one for me (as I have had heat stroke before) is when I feel sick to my stomach for no apparent reason. That's my body telling me to get cool, get more salts or electrolytes down my throat and to stop doing what I'm doing to cause it. Your body will let you know...

Hope that this helps and good luck!

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Great Stuff MIke...This will be my IBA Bible when I attempt it in July.

·
Administrator
29,023 Posts
Excellent points Rapier. We experienced what you bring up in #5. In another thread topic I was explaining that even though it was 100+ temps for several states that we rode in we were wearing Firstgear longsleeve UV shirts. They wicked moisture away & provided the ample cover for sunburn protection.

#6 is extremely important as well. Much like doing the event itself - Man must know his limitations.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.