Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new Goldiwng, woops Our new Goldwing, was a 20 year anniversary present for us both. I want to put together ride along the Blue Ridge parkway for a three day weekend trip. Any suggestions for some fun places to stay?

Since we will be new to the touring thing any advice would be appreciated :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't have any info to share, but will be following this closely. We just got a wing as well, and that will be our first real bike trip. This August, for our 15th anniversary. Good luck, and have a great time!

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
If we take off on Friday night, we cruise to East Bend, NC. this is NOT the place you would ride to. Not that the ride is bad, it's ok. It's just a really small town not much else. Roselli's Kitchen is by far the best italian food Eva. (only open 3 nights a week). Worth the trip for homemade everything. It is like walking into an Italian home-it is authentic. It is inexpensive for what you get about 20 bucks/entree, they serve beer and wine. The granny salad dressing could be served with a straw and you have to 'reserve' the creampuffs before 7 pm or you won't get one. From there we hop over to Sparta, NC to Allegany Inn. It's not fancy or pricey but clean and friendly. They will cater to the bikers with towels in the front when you check in to wipe off your bike. Well not that friendly, they got tired of people using bathroom towels and wiping off bug and dirt but hey they spun it to an advantage.

Generic breakfast next door but hot and fast. After breakfast it is up to you to head south or North on the Parkway. There is a winery a short ways north right off the parkway (50 miles give or take in Va) if you are into wine tasting and it is beautiful with outdoor tables and garden.

Old hwy 52 is a good ride from Winston Salem to catch to parkway that way too. There are just alot of good roads on the way if you are looking for some curves. Hwy 8 is awesome towards Hanging Rock as is parts of Hwy 66.

South of Sparta, heading towards Maggie Valley is just a great ride. Lake Lure is out that way (where Dirty Dancing was shot). From around there, we just get lost and watch the sun to decide direction.

Asheville has beauty, history and the Biltmore House. You may have already seen but threw it in as we sometimes miss the beauty in our own back yard.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My new Goldiwng, woops Our new Goldwing, was a 20 year anniversary present for us both. I want to put together ride along the Blue Ridge parkway for a three day weekend trip. Any suggestions for some fun places to stay?

We just returned from a Blue Ridge trip. Your average speed may be 35-40 mph if you do the touristy things and stop and lookouts and exhibits. Based on that, plan your stops accordingly for accommodation. One good place to plan on resting for the night is Blowing Rock, NC. Good shops, great restaurants (dine at the Storie Street restaurant if you can... pricey but outstanding!) and good motels. We stayed at the Alpen Acres(828-295-7981) that is 1/4 mile off of the Parkway with very clean and spacious rooms. We were able to park two bikes and trailers alongside a park area just outside our room.

The trip from Blowing Rock south to the Parkway end in Cherokee is a comfortable days ride and you have the time to make the stops to enjoy the ride. (lots and lots of tunnels). We got off the Parkway in Sylva NC and found a great Holiday Inn in Dillsboro, NC that caters to bikers.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Got a GPS? We rode the entire length just stopping at all the sights along the way. Hit the GPS to find gas and motels when the need arised. No reservations just felt like a gypsy. It was fantasic. Took a most of the week.

·
Registered
23 Posts
peaks of the Otter

don't know which direction your headed. we stayed at Peaks of the Otter(mm86) last spring. It is right on the Parkway. Loved It

·
Registered
18 Posts
Blowing Rock is a really cool town with a lot of stuff to do and see. It's right along the parkway. Also, there is a town called (something) Tavern. I can't remember the name but it's toward the north end of the parkway and it's a little ways off the parkway toward the west (there is a sign saying what road to take). We actually left the parkway when we saw this sign pointing to (something) tavern, because we really wanted a cold beer. It turned out there used to be an old famous tavern there but the town is now dry. It was really great though because there was a small mom and pop country restaurant with outdoor seating and the food and dessert was very homemade and very good and it was near some very scenic hills. Those are the two most memorable places for me from me trip up the blueridge parkway... Blowing Rock and the (something) Tavern town.

·
Super Moderator
9,844 Posts
The BRPW has a website that can give you all the information you will ever need to travel one of the greatest motorcycle roads in the USA. Here is the link:

http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/

Have a great trip and enjoy...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sorry to piggyback on your thread, but assuming I take a day to get to one end, and have another day coming home from the other, how long should I REALISTICALLY plan to spend, comfortably riding and seeing the sights along the BRP?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Riding the Blue Ridge

Just returned from a 6 - 7 thousand mile trip on my 2010 Wing. My nephew and I rode the Blue Ridge from Cherokee, NC to Front Royal, VA. Since my nephew has a 200-mile butt, a two-day trip turned into four days :) We did not stay on the Blue Ridge but in towns off the beaten path.

One word of advice, do not sightsee while riding!! Sightseeing is strickly for the passenger!! Stop at the overlooks if you have a need to see the scenery, but do not rubber neck while riding. I learned the hard way :) I took my eyes off the road for just a second to look out over the vista instead of pulling into the overlook parking area. I casually looked to the right and admired the view and the bike was suddendly on the grassy, road-shoulder of the overlook parking lot. The Wing went into the shimmy-shimmy shake mode and I though I was going to sail over the road's edge into nothingness! However, at the edge of the overlook's driveway there was a lump of asphalt and when I approached it I gunned the Wing, hit that lump and jumped back into the center of the road. At the next info center I stopped for a rest and bathroom break. I found there souviner items expensive; however I did get a decal for my helmet of a "stick-man" flying off his motorcycle as it went over the side of the Blue Ridge. :) The sticker was $4.00 bucks incl tax; my souviner of the ride of all rides. :)

Have fun on your trip, stay safe and leave the peeping to the better half.
Later,
T-Rex

·
Registered
232 Posts
Ahhhh..... no phone or televison....!

·
Registered
61 Posts
And when you do park at an overlook be aware that it may look like your parking your bike pointing up hill when actually it is on a decline. I put my stand down and got off my old GL1500 and walked to the edge of the overlook. I heard a crash and when I turned around my bike was layed over. I usually put it in gear but I felt it was enough up hill it would rest on the stand. WRONG it was going down hill instead an the stand folded. No damage but just embarassing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts