Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a two week trip from South Central PA to the Atlantic Provinces of Canada. We are leaving July 2 and returning around July 16 -18. The first 6 days are set and reservations confirmed. I am seeking suggestions, advice, recommendations for reasonable values in hotel rooms.
A couple of nights in the Moncton NB/Charlottetown,PE,Amherst, NS area (Jul 9-11).
Another couple of nights in Halifax, NS (Jul 11 - 13)
another night or two in St. Johns NB (Jul 13 - 14?)

I am really looking to get away from the chains if possible. I find them to be like Mc Rooms and generally overpriced.
Would appreciate any input.
Thanks
Bill

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Intruder - I hope when you come to Nova Scotia you come to Cape Breton and do the Cabot Trail. It is one of our gems and there are lots of bed & breakfast places as well as plenty of h&m's. You should contact NS tourism because they have a booklet just for bikers. Hope you have a great trip.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey bullseye and Redfox:
Thanks for your input. I have Cape Benton on my radar scope. Is this "Cabot Trail" a road? If so, where does it start and end? This trip is something I have thought about for twenty years or more. I am getting excited about all the possibilities. Just won't have time (money) to see everything.:(

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi Intruder, check out the Cape Breton website...just google it. The little lady and I are going to be the same neck of the woods in July. Staying at the Trailsman Inn near Baddeck in Cape Breton around the 12th. Doing PEI and Nova Scotia as well.

Redfox, do you know the place ? And any suggestions on roads to avoid ? Really looking forward to the Cabot Trail.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Also do a search for the local B&B's. My inlaws were out there a couple years back and that's what they did. Said it was awesome! Yes intruder the Cabot Trail is "the" road out there. It's one of the must do's on the east coast IMO

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pancho: That looks like a great place with decent rates. I have booked there for the 11th and 12th of July. Maybe we'll see you.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi Intruder, just checked the holiday itinerary. We'll be at the Inn sometime on the 12th. Arriving in Sydney around 2pm and heading directly to the Inn. Check in, onload, and cruise some where for supper. My name is Lyndon and the little lady is Doreen. We ride an 2009 Monterey Metallic Blue. Maybe Redfox could guide us around. Hope to meet up....see you there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Poncho:
Sounds great! As we get closer let's firm up some details. Our group will be departing on the morning of the 13th for Digby. By this point of our trip it will be nice to converse with someone that understands that more noise doesn't equate to better motorcycle.
Bill

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi Bill, looks like we'll just have the one night together, too bad. We'll be in Annapolis Royal (near Digby) round the 18th. Have you heard of the Wharf Rat Rally? Also, Nova Scotia has a free motorcycle guide that you can order online. And all Canadian provinces have tourism websites that will send you free maps and guides. Until later.....
Lyndon

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Intruder-Poncho

Inturder & Poncho - I am just picking up your posts now. We are on the road from Florida and do not get our email that often. Keep me in the loop as you finalize your plans and we will try to get togther. Poncho are you staying in Baddeck after you do the Trail or before?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lyndon, I'm looking forward to this trip and to meeting you. We are leaving for Digby on the morning of the 13th.
Bill

·
Registered
179 Posts
Sounds good, fella's. We're staying 3 nights in Baddeck 12th-14th arriving late afternoon in Baddeck. Doing the Cabot trail 13th or 14th depending on the weather. Also, the Alexander graham Bell museum is on my list and as much cruising as we can fit in. The motorcycle guide is a great help. And then it's P.E.I ! Can't wait. Lyndon

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Redfox and Poncho:
Our group will be in Amherst the night of Fri and Sat Jul 9 -10. Then moving to Badbeck (actually Nyanza) Trailsman on Sun 11th. Plan on the Cabot Trial on Mon 12th and then leaving for Digby on Tue. the 13th. It would be nice to hook up (even for a short time) with someone on something other than a Harley:)

Let's stay informed.

Safe Riding
Bill

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi there Intruder, sounds like you have a good trip planned out. The Cabot Trail is a must see for sure when comming to Nova Scotia but I see you plan on only one day there. I am from Cape Breton and one day will really be a rush to see it all, to say the views are amazing is not doing the area justice. There are several cottage, bed and breakfast places and motels in the area that you will be more than happy with. There are alot of people who do the trail in one direction then do it again in the opposite direction the next day but still say they rushed through it. If you are comming all this way I think you should allow 2 days for the trail. P.E.I. is alos a great place to tour , super clean and pretty and the people are great. There are senic view routes all through N.S. that will keep you off the boring highways and give you something to look at. If you need any more info on Cape Breton or the Annapollis Valley area of Nova Scotia I would be more than happy to send it to you. Have a great trip.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dusty:
I sent your post on to my friend who is planning the route and areas for exploring. He has already told me to expect some changes based on your suggestion. Thanks

Pancho:
That sounds as if we will be in Badbeck for a third night. Stay tuned. Change seems to be the only constant.

Bill

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just to add to all the fun of planning, I notice you are heading to Halifax for day. You will be just over an hour away from the Annapollis Valley area where we have the worlds highest tides, 30 feet plus swing from low to high, I see it everyday and it's still a funny sight to see a fishing boat tied to the dock and sitting on the sand 30 feet below you and then at high tide it looks normal. I'm not trying to throw a wrench into your plans by adding more ideas but you should see this area also. We are planning a 2 week trip around Newfoundland this summer and my route changes daily as I work with a ton of Nefie's that keep adding to all the places I need to see. If you do get into the Valley area on your trip and would like a tour guide for the area, let me know and I'm sure I can arange a day off work to go play.

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hey Intruder, plans are certainly subject to change. Dusty has me considering doing the Cabot trial both ways. And Dusty, we'll be in Annapolis Royal around the 18th. Also, I live in St. John's and have cruised all over the island. When are you coming over and where are you planning to go ? The attached pic is of my bike with Shag Rock in the very far background, community of Whiteway, Trinity bay, NL.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That "subject to change" is a mild understatement. I just got off the phone with my buddy, Joe, who is planing the route and based on these discussions here, we are spending an extra day to do PEI and an extra day to do the Cabot Trail area (most likely both ways). Can't thank you fellows enough for all the input. We have never been to your area before and all of this has been really helpful.
Bill

·
Registered
18 Posts
When you guys get to Cape Breton you should give Redfox a shout, I see he's from ST. Peters N.S. and I'm quite sure he would also love to tag along, I know quite a few people from his area and better people you will never meet and we do love to show off Cape Breton Island. Redfox has some great riding areas around his place too. Hell, you should just move up for the summer , easier an the plans that way.

Poncho, we are planning to be in NFLD for the first 2 weeks in Aug. , I think we are going to over on the Argentia ferry and comming home on the Port of Basque boat. We have friends in St. John's , Badger, and Salmon cove we need to see and all have bikes so we are going to try to get together for a bit. Looking at our own plans , that also change daily, 2 weeks ain't going to get it all but that's all we can get for vacation. I have a 1500Aspy SE with trailer ( luggage on rear seat , wife in trailer :) ) I know we need to see Grosse Mourn park, my shop is full of Newf's and they all agree I need to go there but they all think I shlould go visit thier parents, brothers, sisters , 2nd cousins twice removed .............ect. . When you get to they Valley area, drop me a note and I'll see if I can't meet you somewhere and show you around, I'm easy to find too, I live on the old #1 hwy in Kingston.
Happy plan changing guys :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts