Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having a condition of back firing and piston knock at low speeds. This is worse when cold but eases up when warm but
getting worse. I checked compression and it seems good. I was starting to lean toward carbs needing rebuilt. The bike has 60,000
on it but I have no history. When heavy on the throttle is does not back fire only when cruising say around 20` to 40 mph. It is also
hard to start at times. If I choke when cold it may not start but if I
take chock off it fires but hard to keep running other times no problem to start. I know cars with one carb but bikes with 4 unsure.
Any feed back welcome. Had bike 2 years put on 12000 miles but needs work now. :confused:

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
when you hear this knocking at what rpm are you? 1200 wings like to be reved. have you tried a higher octain gas. have you tried 1/2 can of seafoam in a tank of gas and a new fuel filter

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ping and knock

I have tried seafoam but have not changed fuel octane. The RPM's
is lower 2400 to 2700 no miss fire at high rpm's new plugs- did not help. I have looked for vacuum leaks but did not find any. When cold
if I throttle up slowly it flutters and then will pop thur carbs on right side of eng. There has alwasy been a tapping noise on that side which goes away when warm and revved up. This is same side I beleive is problem. The warmer the oil then less tapping I think bike leans that way when on kick stand oil drains and takes a little while to build pressure on that side of eng. :confused: I,ve read could be a lot of different items including carbon. Just need some experanced
advice. First Wing and bike in 20 years - love it but need some help.

Thanks
Capt. Morgan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts