Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has this been covered here before?

If not, a 50:50 mix of Pine-Sol and a 12-24 hour soak of semi-dismantled carbs cleans them to pristine condition. Who'd a thunk it? Pine-Sol? After the soak, you just rinse the carbs thoroughly with clean water, dry them with compressed air, reassemble and off you go. Beats the Gumout approach I've used for a long time.....

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Has this been covered here before?

If not, a 50:50 mix of Pine-Sol and a 12-24 hour soak of semi-dismantled carbs cleans them to pristine condition. Who'd a thunk it? Pine-Sol? After the soak, you just rinse the carbs thoroughly with clean water, dry them with compressed air, reassemble and off you go. Beats the Gumout approach I've used for a long time.....
What are you mixing it with? Water ? Jack Daniels? Lol

·
Administrator
29,020 Posts
Tatank,

Maybe you should approach the Clorox people to have a commercial setup soaking Carb parts.:D:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
i cleaned the carbs on my cb 750f using pine sol back in '08

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Does one need to remove all the rubber parts?
I wish I had known about this a couple years ago. :(

Reactions: Limpy45

·
Super Moderator
7,611 Posts
That's good to know and it will be added to the 'Stickys'.
Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yep, the mix is 50% Pine-Sol and 50% water. Safe for rubber parts. Process can be improved by strapping a palm sander to it for vibration. Of course, now that I've learned about this I'll likely never have to rebuild another set of carbs!:rolleyes:

Hope it can be of use to some other Classic Wing owners/restorers.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Great post buffalo man!:D

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
Would have never thought of that.
Now all I gotta do is remember it.:eek:
Not that I ever want to rebuild my carbs.

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, it's a personal choice, and based on ability and interest. If you're comfortable with wrenches, it's pretty simple and can save a lot of money.

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Time and money are the limiters, aren't they.

If money is no object, let the dealer do the whole thing. But I reckon the round trip would be $750+.

You can pull the carbs yourself and send them out to be rebuilt professionally (perhaps the same guys the dealer would use) at some sites mentioned in the "Engine Work" forum. Seem to recall it's about $450, but you have a 6 cylinder don't you, so maybe another $100?

Or, instead of sending them out, do them yourself with the Pine Sol solution and a Raddacks (sp?) rebuild kit, take your time as you have it (just keep the carbs under a clean cloth between work,) save yourself some cash to spend on bling or trip fuel, and have the satisfaction of a job done well!:)

Whichever you choose, the good news is that you'll have a "Purring" Wing to ride when it's done!:D

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
i have a set of carbs from my 750f and pine sol did nothing to clean them. those carbs spent more than 24 hours in pine sol and were just as gummed up

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't know that a rebuild kit is mandatory. The items you'll definitely want to replace with fresh are the large O-rings at the bottom of the intake elbows, where they bolt to the heads.

Don't know why it didn't work on yours, Doc. Sure you didn't spill a bunch of Oreo crumbs in the solution?:p Seriously, a 50:50 solution WITH vibration (palm sander duct taped to the side of the container and run from time to time) is supposed to be the ticket.

As an alternative, you can pull the carbs and just pay a local mechanic for time in his/her parts cleaner, preferably ultrasonic.

It's just the basic Seafoam Motor Treatment. When "shocking" the carbs or injectors, use 1 oz. per gallon of fuel. Maintaining clean system requires regular use of 2-3 oz. per tank. And some other products are mentioned on here.

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
no oreo crumbs in the mix, i was on a suzieQ kick at the time :)
but the pinesol didn't work for me and i cleaned and rebuilt those carbs the old way, with carb cleaner

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with single carb setups? I have one on my 77 and apparently it runs rich (floods) Looks like a VW carb. Any tuning specs?

Cheers,
Peter

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Does anyone have any experience with single carb setups? I have one on my 77 and apparently it runs rich (floods) Looks like a VW carb. Any tuning specs?

Cheers,
Peter
Hi Peter,

You may also want to visit Classic Goldwings and GoldwingFacts Forums for help on your specific model.

All carbs are similar in function: specific fuel/air mixture. Air intake must be tight (no leaks) and unobstructed, good air filter. Fuel similar. Main cause of "flooding" in my experience is poor fuel inlet valve seating or incorrect float level.

First thing I do is clean the hell out of carbs and inspect parts for wear/damage, using non-metallic tools (nylon guitar strings and toothbrush are my preferred.) Once everything checks out or is replaced, I reassemble and precisely set the float level to spec. Also make sure no vacuum leaks, all hoses good. Once it's clean and tight and reinstalled it's just a matter of setting the fuel metering screw to spec, called a "pilot screw" on Wing carbs. You can then confirm the setting is right by performance and the condition of the spark plugs after running it a bit. Of course, this assumes good spark and correct plug settings.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.