Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally made the plunge!! Tomorrow I am picking up my new 2010 Goldwing from Lawrenceville Honda Yamaha outside of Atlanta. I am really hoping for a positive experience and will let you all know how it goes when I get back. I hate buying something sight unseen and wouldn't think of it if it were not new. So far, the folks at LHY have been great.

As experienced buyers, can you please tell me any specific things to look for or questions to ask when I pick it up?

Thanks very much! CD

·
Super Moderator
9,878 Posts
Hey Dext, I hope you mean you are going to purchase a new Goldwing and not literally "pick up a new Wing". (;they'r pretty heavy) LOL... Best thing to do is go home and read the manual and take the bike out into a empty parking lot and practice so you get the feel of the bike. You are going to love the Wing. Ride safe and enjoy your new toy...

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Check the windshield and make sure it goes up and down and locks in place. Check the heated grips and seats and make sure they work, check the oil, and tire pressure, when I picked my 08 new it only had 32 lbs of air in the tires. make sure you have the AUX plug for the left fairing pocket and if your Gold Wing has the navigation on it check and see what map version you have in it, some have 08 or 09 maps and they are out dates. Check the overall fit and finish on it, once you drive it out and find a scratch, it's your problem.
There is no 600 mile service on the Gold Wing as some dealers will try and sell you. Do not buy the extended warranty, you have 3 years unlimited mileage warranty on the bike and you can buy the extended warranty anytime during that period, Honda direct sells them for $499.00. Most dealers will do a good job of putting the bike together and checking fluid levels, but there are those that have no idea about Gold Wings. Don't forget, there is a coating on the disk brakes, cosmoline I think it is, make sure that is cleaned or your brakes won't work very good until it wears off, also be careful on new tires if you hit the twisties for about the first 100 miles or so.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got my Bike!

It was a GREAT experience. The folks at Lawrenceville Honda (outside of Atlanta) were awesome and the bike is perfect as far as I can tell. I would have given them some more business if their accessories and labor were priced a little more reasonable but the bike itself was priced right (under $18,500 for a 2010)! If anyone else goes there, ask for Jody. I like passing business to good folks and she is the best.

·
Super Moderator
9,878 Posts
Congrats on your new Wing. Always a good feeling to have a positive buying experience. Sounds like you are a happy camper and got a good deal. Remember to post some pics when you can. Ride safe and enjoy..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Picking up your New Wing

Congratulations! I'm still trying to sell a vacation home to free up some cash before I take the plunge. I'm hoping that it happens soon. Sounds like you got a good deal. I'm assuming that your model does not have navigation. That's not a bad thing. From everything that I've read, it seems that is the better way to go and then just add the Garmin Zumo 660 with the mount from Wingstuff.

From where were you traveling to pick up the bike in Atlanta?

Hope you have many great seasons ahead for enjoying that new bike.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Congrates on your new bike Dex. I'm sure you will be wearing a huge grin for a little while yet. Like Joe said see if can post some pics of the new bike. I,ve just about done my patience waiting, i will pick mine up tomorrow. One thing i did do before i pick it up was to have a PPF film ( paint protection film) put on it. They use it on expensive cars and bikes, you can't tell its on, but it protects from scratches and chips and it maintains that shine and easy to clean.
Man what a bargan, you guys in the states have nothing to complain about when it comes to pricing . Mine luxury model cost $41000.00 US, and the parts and accessories are at best double the price. I know because i just order a heap of stuff through Wingstuff and it only cost me $140.00 delivery by Fedex and i still saved hundreds of dollars. Keep safe and ride safe
Len

·
Registered
402 Posts
Even though you have already got it home I would add to the above list the following: rear end (final drive) oil, and coolant. I have bought 2 new Hondas and both were low on these 2 things as well as engine oil. One was 2 quarts low on oil.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heated seats?

Tomorrow I will pull all the covers and do the final detailed inspection including all fluid levels. The only thing so far I find possibly weak is the heated seats. They work but they don't get very hot. Medium warm is the best I can get with them set at max temp. Do these take a little time to break in or is this actually about right? I have never had heated seats before so I don't know what it should feel like.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Tomorrow I will pull all the covers and do the final detailed inspection including all fluid levels. The only thing so far I find possibly weak is the heated seats. They work but they don't get very hot. Medium warm is the best I can get with them set at max temp. Do these take a little time to break in or is this actually about right? I have never had heated seats before so I don't know what it should feel like.
Mine doesn't have them but a lot of people on a lot of boards complain about them not heating up enough.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Disregard heated seats

I rode the bike to work this morning while it was 38 degrees outside. I cranked up the temps on the grips and seat and they were very warm by the time I got to work. I had to turn them way down as a matter of fact. The only one I have not been able to verify is the passenger seat but I suspect it will be fine also.

·
Super Moderator
9,878 Posts
I have the heated seat and grips on my 09 and they seem to work fine. I really appreciate them on the cold mornings. Enjoy and ride safe..

·
Premium Member
23,759 Posts
I'm a happy heated camper. 08' I also have heard that the heat is relative to the ambient temperature. They won't heat up on a 75* day. I've had them on full on a 50 * ride and I had to turn the grips down.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Next Question- Brakes?

I started doing some more detailed inspecting and have a new question. I noticed that when I have the bike on the center stand and turn the wheels by hand, both front and rear brakes rub very slightly against the rotors. I noticed the rubbing sound when I was riding earlier. The wheels still turn without hardly any friction but the sound made me curious. Granted, the bike still has less than 100 miles on it so I am assuming it is just the brakes and rotors breaking in and the sound should stop eventually... but I would feel a lot better if someone would confirm my diagnosis. (you know what happens when you assume)

Thanks again very much, Carroll

·
Premium Member
23,759 Posts
The pads better be making that rubbing sound because they should be in contact with the rotor. Amazingly quiet bike, isn't it ? You hear every whisper, every clink, every bird sing. The downside is sometimes you hear too much. But you should know what those sounds are so you know which ones need attention. Keep listening.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I started doing some more detailed inspecting and have a new question. I noticed that when I have the bike on the center stand and turn the wheels by hand, both front and rear brakes rub very slightly against the rotors. I noticed the rubbing sound when I was riding earlier. The wheels still turn without hardly any friction but the sound made me curious. Granted, the bike still has less than 100 miles on it so I am assuming it is just the brakes and rotors breaking in and the sound should stop eventually... but I would feel a lot better if someone would confirm my diagnosis. (you know what happens when you assume)

Thanks again very much, Carroll
Mine did the same thing that your wheels probably do. I could get the front wheel to spin a couple or maybe three times and the back wheel only about 1.5 times. I even took the back caliper apart and greased the slider pins. Even now sometimes I feel of the rotors after a long ride. The fronts are always cool and the back one a little warm, sometimes hot in the summer. But, the back has the radiant heat of the final drive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
congrat on your new bike, it will take some miles before you get fully used to the bike, but it's so easy to get used!!, I got mine 1 month ago and my happy grin has not faded yet:)
brake noise is normal as long as it is not to loud since the pads and rotors will make contact all the time
Ride safe but most of all.... have fun !!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts