Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm reading a book by William Spicer called "Winging It". In the book, his Gold Wing falls over while on a non-level gas station lot. He rights the Wing by using the clutch and throttle to get it moving, at which point it somehow pops back upright. Is there somewhere this magical maneuver is explained in more detail?

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
I'm reading a book by William Spicer called "Winging It". In the book, his Gold Wing falls over while on a non-level gas station lot. He rights the Wing by using the clutch and throttle to get it moving, at which point it somehow pops back upright. Is there somewhere this magical maneuver is explained in more detail?
Good point ive wondered about this if
It would happen like thiS

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Never heard of this or seen a YouTube video of. Have you lifted yours from a dropped position? I got some good experience lately, 3 times in one day as I'm getting very proficient at getting it up. No pun intended. Are you needing information on the squat and lift?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is the one from YouTube.
The author lifted his fallen Wing using the engine, not the "backward facing manual lift" illustrated in the YouTube video (though that was an interesting video). Here is how the author of the book described it: "The technique called for starting the bike, putting it in gear, making sure the rear wheel was on the ground, letting out the clutch, and adding a little throttle, while simultaneously pushing the bike up." (chapter 6, page 69)

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
The author lifted his fallen Wing using the engine, not the "backward facing manual lift" illustrated in the YouTube video (though that was an interesting video). Here is how the author of the book described it: "The technique called for starting the bike, putting it in gear, making sure the rear wheel was on the ground, letting out the clutch, and adding a little throttle, while simultaneously pushing the bike up." (chapter 6, page 69)
Do you own a Goldwing?

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
I can see how his technique would work with the rear wheel turning and the point of contact with the ground would gradually move to the inside of the tire , as in his case the slope worked more in his favor ! I wouldn't do it this way , but whatever works for him .

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
I don't know about earlier models, but my 1800 has a " Bank Angle Sensor ". If she's lying on the crash bars she won't start.

·
Registered
48 Posts
pickin up a goldwing

Might be possible with an old wing like my 78, but the newer bikes won't run if laying on thier side.

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
I don't know about earlier models, but my 1800 has a " Bank Angle Sensor ". If she's lying on the crash bars she won't start.
+1 on Starting....Don't know that you can do this.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Recently one of my drops ended up in a ditch on the uphill section of my driveway leaving my property. Had to have help lifting it as the rear tire was against the opposing bank and was working against me. Once we got it up we couldn't push it out uphill nor could we let it drift backwards as the rear tire was against the other side of the bank and was immobile. My only choice was to start it and try to drive it out but without sitting on it as the back tire was slipping in the ditch and we needed to lean the bike towards us on the downside of the hill, feathering clutch and modulating gas, and also going up hill. My point being, my experience in moving the bike from an unseated position with throttle and clutch was a real handful, especially coming out of a ditch going up hill. Perhaps one can develope the skill that this author speaks too but it is a rather difficult thing to do safely from the unseated position. Just moving a Wing around the asphalt in neutral without the motor is a handful. I'm not saying t can't be done with an 1100,1200 or 1500 but it appears to be a very tricky maneuver. I've found the squat and lift very easy to do.

·
Super Moderator
9,994 Posts
Like others have said. You won't pick up a GL1500 or GL1800 by starting the engine when it's down.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Having had a pretty good spill about a month ago 1500- 3 days after I got the bike I can tell it won't start until its upright. Fortunately I had seen the youtube video here on picking up the bike so it was a piece of cake.

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
Like everyone stated the GL1500 won't start if its on its side.
The 1500 has a bank angle sensor.
The bike in the story has to be an older Wing.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
I take it that the 1500 won't start on its side because it has a bank - angle sensor ! Didn't think about that earlier , but the concept is still plausable with an older bike or any bike without the sensor .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.