Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The wife and I headed to Cherokee Frinday evening to stay in a cabin. (A friend of mine manages the cabins in the area and comps us whenever we head that way...) The original plan was to head to Pigeon Forge Friday evening to pick up the bike, but we had a late departure and decided to go with the Saturday pick up instead.

We headed out Saturday across 441 from Cherokee to Pigeon Forge. This is a very scenic drive, but is a heavily traveled road, so traffic is always heavy. I have only been through Pigeon Forge once before, and discovered that it looks like someone dropped Myrtle Beach in the mountains with all sorts of tourist attractions, and this creates horrendous traffic. Saturday was no exception, but there was a car show going on in the area and there was PLENTY of 60's, 70's, and 80's muscle cars in attendance, so it made the trip slightly more tolerable due to the eye candy everywhere. Either way, Pigeon Forge is a horrible place to try to ride through. I would avoid it like the Swine Flu.

We finally get to the location to get the bike and go through the typical ritual of paperwork and $$ transfer as well as a few pointed questions about the bike itself since I have never owned a Wing before, and then we were off again, with me on the bike and the wife following.

First impressions were excellent. Neutral handling, decent brakes, decent power, and oh-my comfy.....

We got back into traffic, which was stop and go, and I realized that wearing full gear in warm weather, on a bike that blocks most wind, equates to a very warm ride and I was sweating profusely in short order. I finally took the riding pants off until the end of the Foothills Parkway.. We finally got off the main drag and onto 321 to head towards the Foothills Parkway, and things were better quickly.

This particular bike has the MP3 hook up as well, so I brought my player with me and used that with the stereo. There is probably something not quite right with a Gold Wing blasting Tesla and Disturbed while riding through mountians passes, and my wife actually said that the Wing stereo was louder that the one in her truck at one point, so I guess I was cranking it up too much, but I was having a blast! I am probably a bit younger than the average Wing owner at 43 years old.

The weather was overcast, with rain expected at some point, but we went up through the Parkway on to US 129 and on to Deals Gap where I discovered in very short order that those aftermarket Kuryakyn highway pegs had to go. They are very nice, but simply are positioned wrong for tight roads and tried to lever the bike up a couple times, so as soon as I got to the Crossroads of Time store, I broke out the allen wrenches and removed them. At this point I don't know if I will ever put them back on and may just sell them.

After some lunch, I took the wife for a run to the overlook and back. This was her first time riding on a Wing also and she commented that it was more comfortable than her truck! (Chevy Z-71 Silverado) It was raining at this point, so we took things nice and slow.

Afterwards, she got back in the truck and we convoyed to Cherokee for the evening.

I trailered the bike home Sunday, but only due to rainy weather. This bike does NOT belong on a trailer!

1st impressions... The stock tires are terrible. I am getting a shimmying in the front at most speeds. It's not that bad, but it is there and it bothers me. I have read about this issue with stock tires before and suspect that it is due to incorrect tire pressures causing front tire cupping. What pressures do you all find works well?

Comfy! Goes without saying!

I enjoy having a no-kidding cruise control.

Handling is decent. No great, but decent. I am a sport bike guy at heart, so it is not what I am use to, and I have to recalibrate my mind for different entry speeds with this bike. I have already put a serious hurting on the peg feelers and that is with the preload on the shock maxxed out.

I like the controls and the layout. I have not had to complain about any of the controls, which is excellent!

Headlights are the best I have ever seen on a bike.

I need to look into a low cut wind shield to allow more air flow. Recommendations?

I think this bike will be in the stable for a long time, and like it!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
What year wing is it? Is it new or preowned? You said it has the IPOD hook up so I guess it's an 1800. The front end wobble is there in most of them and sometimes changing the tires won't fix it, How many miles are on the bike? I have the Kuryakyn pegs on my 08 and wouldn't ride without them. You just might have to turn them up a notch to get them to clear the ground, most people have the straight with the crash bars or a little lower, I run mine I notch higher than level and they work great. look at the picture below. Good luck with your new bike, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Attachments

·
Registered
690 Posts
... Howdy ... That Is A Great Looking Bike ... I Think As You Get Used To It You Will Be Suprised Even More About The Handling ... Even With My Old Clunker I Can Roll The Twisties At A Pretty Good Clip ... Many Happy Trails ...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's an 08 with 4400 miles. THe pegs appear to be the same as what you have, but it's hard to tell with the smaller pic. You can see the ones on the pics I posted.

I have been considering putting them back on for most riding and seeing if I can get them up at least a bit higher. At least the pegs fold when they touch down, but those are hard points and tend to really move the bike around.

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
Hey Ron,

I agree with Joe I wouldn't be without my highway pegs either. I think if you take some time & adjust them to your size & style I believe they could be acceptable.

I would also say that when you have a 500 plus day you might be looking for them. Just a thought.

Hey congrats on the bike. Many happy miles for you & the wife.
Be safe. Oh and by the way I was 48 when I got my Wing. It is all about the comfort & long rides with the wife not about age, at least that's my story.

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
Congrats on your new Wing from the Keystone state. Nice color. Enjoy and ride safe.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Click on the picture in my last and you will a see bigger version. My pegs are one notch higher than yours are. Try it, it might work for you, or you can spend $299.99 for a set of these, they replace the piece on your valve cover that says HONDA

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi Ron, great looking bike. I was 41 when I got mine new Wing in June and was immediately branded an old fart by my riding buddies but I don't care - I'm ridin' a Wing ! I have adjustable pegs like yours but had them set a little higher like Joe's bike. But I found the fairing dug into my legs at that angle so I have them set horizontal now and will give them a test soon. I also have the full foot boards which look like outriggers when folded out...nerdy ? I'm not sure yet. Ride safe, man.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would also say that when you have a 500 plus day you might be looking for them. Just a thought.
Last month I pulled off a Bun Burner Gold (1500 in under 24 hours) on my Aprilia, and ended up with just under 5000 miles in a week. No highway pegs on that bike, and none wanted.

I have no issues whatsoever with the stock pegs on this Wing, but I do like the way those fold ups mount and are out of the way with that valve cover mount set up.....

This evening I made some templates for a couple areas and did some 3M clear guard protectant film in a few areas. I hate the way you have to push on the paint of the side bags to close them, so I did a section on each bag to protect while closing. I also did each side of the "tank" to protect from legs rubbing the paint and I did the front of the bags to protect from possible running by the wife's boots. You can't see the stuff and it helps protect the paint.

I have been researching suspension mods as well and see some serious upgrades in the future. I have the rear preload maxxed out and still scuff the peg feelers when making simple turns. I understand that the proper springs will help with the clearance issues, and valving in the forks is always a bonus.

One other issue I am looking at is the wind screen. I don't like looking through it, and get too much turbulance when it's all the way down. Not sure how to address that yet.

Does anyone make any type of deflectors that channel air in towards the rider?

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I will have to look into those.

Discovered today that I made the front page of Killboy's page on my maiden voyage! Thought that was pretty funny...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts