Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a replacement for my Yamaha Vstar 1100 Silverado yesterday. A 1994 GL 1500 SE with 115,000 miles. Thanks to those of you who responded to my previous thread asking for advise for Her purchase. I obviously took it!

I was expecting some paint fading because of the age. OMG. She is beautiful. Sparkles like the sun. Talked the dealer down to $4800, $5350 drive out, plus I talked them into changing the oil. Had all the maintenance records at the dealership so I feel like I robbed them :D

Quit a different feel than the Yamaha. Very shaky leaving the dealership, especially since it was on the Interstate 410 service road in San Antonio. Had a rough time with my turns, but once I was on the Interstate it was like riding in a Lexus.

After about 40 miles on Interstate 10 toward Houston, I tried the cruise control. WOW. Tried not to fall asleep!

Stopped for gas in Sealy, because I didn't trust the gas gauge. Puckered a little pulling that beast up to the fuel pump. Made it back to Houston in about 3 hours and showed momma. I think she pee'd a little.

I commute to work and make deliveries, traveling about 110 miles a day on Houston Freeways. I will not be able to handle Houston traffic until I get more familiar with the bike. Meanwhile, I'll take my youngest sons car since he's on Christmas break.

I'm looking forward to getting more comfortable with her in the very near future and getting momma a ride.

Best Regards and Thanks,

Don

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Congrates on your new ride and ride safe. you will have to post a picture of your new baby.
BR

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
congrats and welcome to the world of goldwings, take any pic's yet

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Welcome Cooldad, I also have a '94 with over 100k don't let the miles scare you she's got plenty more to go.The more miles you put on the more comfortable you"ll get with the handling of the Wing, enjoy and be safe.

·
Registered
449 Posts
congrats and enjoy. Going from the ZZR1200 to the Wing was wierd to say the least. Hard time with the wide handlebars and upright riding position. Now the 1200 is the odd feeling one.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Congrads on your new bike. I love the 1500 and i had to get used to it again after not riding for a few years. Have fun and ride safe.

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
Congrats on your new (to you) Wing and welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. Ride safe.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Congrats on the purchase,we all know you made the right choice.Sounds like you got a great deal,especially with the maint.records. Any mention in those about the timing belts? Glad the misses is happy! Bet once you get her on there it'll be hard to get her off of it. Ride often & Safe.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Congrats on the new wing, not to long ago I got my 95 Aspy, ride safe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Congrats Cooldad, on your recent purchase ! I too have just purchased a new-- old Goldwing. Just last week, I found a mint-condidtion---2000 GL1500 SE in the Red on Red colors with only 11K. miles on the clock. She's absolutely loaded out with chrome acc. (and several other extras too). I have not brought her home yet due to the weather here in the midwest and I'm waiting on the title to come. I was able to purchase her for $8500. from an individual in Owensboro, KY. He just had new tires installed and fresh fluids all around. He decided to sell, , , I just could'nt pass her up. I also have an '06 Harley Heritage Classic (with a big-bore kit). Also in the garage I have an '03 Suzuki Burgman 650 with 3500 mi. on the clock. The Burgie is now for-sale to make room for the REDWING as I like to call her. I know you will adjust to your new WING quickly. Enjoy !!

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Nice going on you addition too your fleet Pilot8127. Sounds like you also got a great deal. My ride is a 2000 GL1500 SE also and fully loaded. I've been riding it for around 3 years and love it. I have around 140,000 klicks on mine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Badrider,
Yes, I got a pretty good deal on it according to the current ebay prices. That's the only way I could justify a third, rather large motorcycle. In fact, I can't wait for the wx to break so I can try it out. I owned a GL1000 WAY back in 1979. The last year for the spoked wheels. It had the Vetter fairing and an add-on, Honda-Line trunk. Rode like a tank even way back then. The newer ones are so supple and sweet.
What color is your SE ? Looks white in the pic. I love the white with the soft gray inner panels. Soothing and quiet. My friend in Indianaplois has one and it's gorgeous. I have ridden it twice and fell in love with it. I tried to buy it last year and he was asking 7500. for it then. Another fact, he also has a red '03 GL1800 too. I have ridden it a couple of times and I actually PREFER the GL1500SE ! I like the softer ride, wider fairing, larger baggage capacity and the more standard features that came on the SE. Toss in the fact that you can buy a loaded out GL1500 for a third the price of a new one and I couldn't resist. . . !
Badrider, do you have a backrest on your SE ? I'm looking for one. That's about the only thing missing and I want a good one. Leaning towards the Utopia. Any advice ?
Also, since this is my first WING in a quite awhile, any tips or tricks you can give me ?
Thanks, and ride safe.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
It is ironic because the first GW I owned was a 1979 GL1000 I rode that for a couple of years, then bumped up to a 82 GL1100. The 79 had all Vetter on it including the trunk with the four round brake and signel lights in the back. This was back in about 2002. I've been riding for 10 years and started at the ripe old aged of 40.
The only thing that the bike was missing was a back rest and I put that on. I'm sorry I don't remember the make but if you want I will find out for you. To install you have to but a hole in the seat and bolt it underneath. My wife is not a big girl and I was nervous if there was not enough room for her because you cannot remove it. I was happy to find out no problem. My baby is pearl white with a light green accents with pin striping. I also put on a light bar with Pia flood lights. I try to ride as late and early in the season as possible so I put on heated grips. They work great and I put them on under my nice Kuryakyn grips. I don't know if there is anything else I can tell you but ride safe, and enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Congrats on the new wing. I recently purchaced a 1500 Aspencade. Although the 1800 can ride circles around it I prefer the 1500 for the sheer size of it. I need as much motorcycle under me as possible so I don't look so fat. lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks heavychevy,
I prefer the 1500 too, especially for the money. Badrider described his backrest (in a previous post) and it sounds like the Utopia model. I am going to get me one. Today, I spent the morning installing new Kuryakyn ISO-grips and HWY-pegs. Also installed a battery tender today too, gotta have that.
When did you purchase your Aspencade and what color and what year ? Those are NICE rides ! Enjoy !!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks heavychevy,
When did you purchase your Aspencade and what color and what year ? Those are NICE rides ! Enjoy !!
I think I've only had it a month or so but I have a few more in the stable including my 84 Aspencade, Valkyrie Tourer my wifes 97 Magna and her 2001 BMW R1200 Stilletto and a old CA77 (305 Dream) that I just picked up to restore.

My new(1999) Aspendade is a solid Caddilac Pearl White. It been repainted (very nicely done) and had been involved in a accident and had to have one saddlebag and the fairing replaced. It has 63,XXX miles on it. I bought it from a friend who was the one who laid it down. It has a "Rebuilt" Title but I only paid 5000 dollars for it. The only thing it needed was a rear tire. My insurance company had the bike inspected before I bought it and gave me 100% coverage as if it had never neen in an acccident. My friend rode it home and for several weeks before his insurance company totalled it. He picked up a few parts on ebay and had all the parts painted. I have no problem riding a "Rebuilt" bike. They will total out a GoldWing if the fairing gets damaged.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Excellent'E !! As I have said before: I LOVE white ! Especially WHITE motorcycles. I don't know why, they just look clean, soft and comfy I guess. I have a friend in Indy that has a WHITE/Gray one that I wanted to buy real bad. Never got it accomplished tho. He still has it and probably will be keeping it.
I know of a couple of bikes locally with salvage titles that friends own. You would never know it to look at them or ride them for that matter. Ebay prices reflect the fact that most salvage titled motorcycles sell real well and only moderatley less than one with a regular title.
That's a good price for a 1999. I paid a lot more than that for my 2000.
I hope your friend wasn't hurt in the accident. Sounds like he is OK and hopefully is riding motorcycles again.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Badrider described his backrest (in a previous post) and it sounds like the Utopia model. I am going to get me one. Today, I spent the morning installing new Kuryakyn ISO-grips and HWY-pegs. Also installed a battery tender today too, gotta have that.
/QUOTE

Back to you pilot8127, I checked today, and I do have a Utopia back rest and love it http://www.utpr.com/goldwing.html . I see that you are catching up with some of the other stuff that I have.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Excellent'E !! As I have said before: I LOVE white ! Especially WHITE motorcycles. I don't know why, they just look clean, soft and comfy I guess. I have a friend in Indy that has a WHITE/Gray one that I wanted to buy real bad. Never got it accomplished tho. He still has it and probably will be keeping it.
I know of a couple of bikes locally with salvage titles that friends own. You would never know it to look at them or ride them for that matter. Ebay prices reflect the fact that most salvage titled motorcycles sell real well and only moderatley less than one with a regular title.
That's a good price for a 1999. I paid a lot more than that for my 2000.
I hope your friend wasn't hurt in the accident. Sounds like he is OK and hopefully is riding motorcycles again.
I painted my 77 Goldwing Lexus Pearl White (almost the same color) and had the seat covered in white (had bags, trunk and Vetter fairing) I actually show my friend photos of my 77 and that got him to paint the bike white. I love white motorcycles. My friend came out with just a few bruises. He wasn't doing but about 15mph.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts