Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming from a VTX 1300R and adding a Wing to the family.
I have learned that one has to pick up his feet faster than on
a VTX.

Several times, I've lagged on picking up the feet, and they will get
crowded up under the passenger foot rest on back. First time it like to
scared me to death, thought If I'd had a longer foot, it could have caused trouble. Work area is smaller on a Goldwing, I see that now.
Think the second time it happened when I was turning it and kinda dragging my foot .
That would be a bad thing to get caught up under that in a turn and
have that thing fall over on you while your foot was hung under . :eek:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Coming from a VTX 1800. Only complaint I have with the wing is the leg room.

Flip up the pass boards....

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
Its always fun to leave your left foot down a little too long. The Center stand hits it and feels like its gonna crush your Achilles.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Its always fun to leave your left foot down a little too long. The Center stand hits it and feels like its gonna crush your Achilles.
So there is someone who knows what happens when they stay down to long. Scary >>>

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
So there is someone who knows what happens when they stay down to long. Scary >>>

You just think you need one more second to keep the Wing balanced. That left foot has been the blame of 2 drops.:eek:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I came from a GL1200A. I notice I pick my feet up much faster on my 1800 when leaving from a stop. Not sure if I pick up speed faster, have better balance, less space for my feet to linger, or what.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
I was loading my Wing onto my trailer and caught my foot momentarily against the wheel well of the trailer on the way up. A cause for pause.

·
Premium Member
7,556 Posts
Recently entered a curve and had a fairly good lean and felt the front sole of my boot scrape the asphalt. A little disconcerting as I had expected to hear the metal scraping of my center stand like I did on my Burgman Maxiscooter. These puppies can really lean.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
I once took a nice chunk out of a pair of sneekers. Won't do that again.

·
Super Moderator
11,952 Posts
I was taking a left turn on my 1500 and was up-shifting, when my foot was pinched between the shifter and the pavement. I'll never shift in a turn again! :eek:

·
Premium Member
23,811 Posts
Think we all have had our foot " under " the shift lever taking a sharp left turn. I have more than once. I try to practice always shifting with the inner lip of my boot edge. I try.

·
Premium Member
7,556 Posts
I was taking a left turn on my 1500 and was up-shifting, when my foot was pinched between the shifter and the pavement. I'll never shift in a turn again! :eek:
:eek: Haven't done that one yet. That's gotta hurt. A good case for a heal toe shifter. Had one on my 1200 and loved it. Played in some twisties yesterday and misjudged some turns and found myself using engine braking via downshifting and it was awkward braking in the turns. I needed to get that done before the lean angles. A bad combination for disaster. Besides, my 1500 has so much torque I can reduce some of the downshifting, it's just that it's so much more fun to use the tranny for braking.

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
:eek: Haven't done that one yet. That's gotta hurt. A good case for a heal toe shifter. Had one on my 1200 and loved it. Played in some twisties yesterday and misjudged some turns and found myself using engine braking via downshifting and it was awkward braking in the turns. I needed to get that done before the lean angles. A bad combination for disaster. Besides, my 1500 has so much torque I can reduce some of the downshifting, it's just that it's so much more fun to use the tranny for braking.
:eek: Careful there...Starting out, I wanted to downshift into slow leans so the bike didn't stall. Closest I've been to tragedy was going from 3rd to 2nd in a twisty. Fishtailed with a Big Rig bearing down.....Since then I don't do that no mo.
I did the Dragon and never got out of 3rd.

Toe under shifter is a lot of fun....that's how I found out the Wing will shift up without the clutch:)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Twoguns Did the same thing when I got my 96,I was used to being able to keep my foot down on my 84 but found out real quick that you cant keep your toes pointed down in the turns on my 96. Nothing like bending your foot in half,and keep feeling it days later it does hurt like a you know what. Hal

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am going to have to pay more attention to what I'm doing. Just this afternoon, was going to pull the bike around the back of the shop. While turning, thought my foot was going to hung up under the stand ( left side). I am going to have to stop putting the foot the way I'm doing it.
Don't have that trouble on the VTX. When you let your foot down on the X, you can just glide bike on around slowly, and slowly pick up your footing.
On the wing, you better touch the ground and " yank " that damn foot up or you just might get that thing hung under something back there.
I'm just not used to the passenger foot plates and other stuff being that close to my leg / foot when in movement.
Slowly walking the wing around something is much different than the X.
I'm getting the hang of it though ....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,425 Posts
You get used to it.....I had to throw away my boots (prematurely) because I wore the outside edges down to the leather....I used them as curb feelers. LOL. Them Redwings can get expensive.

Mark

·
Registered
277 Posts
Coming from a VTX 1300R and adding a Wing to the family.
I have learned that one has to pick up his feet faster than on
a VTX.

Several times, I've lagged on picking up the feet, and they will get
crowded up under the passenger foot rest on back. First time it like to
scared me to death, thought If I'd had a longer foot, it could have caused trouble. Work area is smaller on a Goldwing, I see that now.
Think the second time it happened when I was turning it and kinda dragging my foot .
That would be a bad thing to get caught up under that in a turn and
have that thing fall over on you while your foot was hung under . :eek:
Or get it triked and don't worry 'bout it :) You still have the lack of lebensraum for your boots to contend with, though - even with added floorboards.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Thought about buying Kuryakyn floorboard and heel-toe shifter for my 2010 Wing but wanted to see another Wing with that set-up before I ordered the parts. At a local bike-nite I spoke with the owner of a Wing with the floorboards and shifter, he let me sit on his ride. No Way would this set-up work for me, I have size 14 boots and my feet did not fit :) Before ordering parts make sure they'll work for you.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I find that backing up with the reverse to be very uncomfortable. I never seem to know where to place my feet or legs that they dont get caught on something or my shins arent jammed behind the foot pegs. Maybe just need more practice?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts