Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been riding for years, smaller hondas, suzuki, harley, (did I say a bad word with the Harley:). Just bought an 85 limited edition goldwing. Picking it up in two days. Been told Ive made a mistake buying the fuel injected model and been told they are great bikes. Hoping its the great bike scenario.
Anyway from Kentucky, organize a three day bike rally every summer for childrens charities, more on that later on. Hoping to make some new friends here, get some info, give some if I can.
I ride about all year round except in snow or ice, have the wifes 700 suzuki, my harley and now I guess youd say both she and my wing. Buying it cuz neither of other bikes she is able to ride behind for more than about two hundred miles and we want to take some long trips. So far ky to texas etc has been just me on the bike for that reason so hoping the wing is comfortable and dependable enough to allow her to go with me when I get to traveling for real lol.
Be safe and glad to be here Ghost

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
Welcome to the site Ole Spooky One, Good people & discussion here. Ask away no one is shy.

·
Registered
692 Posts
... HOWDY ... WHEN I BOUGHT MY 85-LTD IT HAD 62k. IT HAD BEEN SITTING FOR 3 yrs. AND I KNEW THE STARTER WAS GOING SOUTH ALONG WITH A COUPLE OTHER MINOR THINGS ... THAT DID NOT STOP MY PURCHASE ... EVERYWHERE I GO PEOPLE WALK UP AND COMMENT ON THE BIKE ... IT'S 24yrs OLD NOW 25 NEXT YR - GOING FROM VINTAGE TO ' CLASSIC ' KINDA LIKE ' ME ' ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome and the input. Feel a little less shakey about it now :D.
Leaving in the morning for pittsburg to pick it up. Was going to ride it back but the weather went way awful so taking a trailer and a friend. If its not pouring rain or snowing Ill ride er back and if it is then she goes on the trailer till this weekend when I plan to take the wife and do a chairty run sat and one sunday as well since the weather here is going to be better than up there.

Thanks again Ghost:)

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
Ghost good luck with purchase. I doubt if you will be riding the weather isn't good in Pa. right now. Maybe once you get a little mor South.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well picked up the 85 se goldwing today. Yep Fossil the weather was lousy but I took it out for spin anyway before I loaded it up to bring home. Paint is imaculate, fires up nicely, rides great as far as I could tell on twisties in the rain. Has a new regulator on it and is charging 14 to 14 5 volts under load little less after the battery is brought back up from starting.
Going to tag it tommorow, here in ky where I live ride it probably for the next week then hard solder the stator wires , regulator connetion and replace the dog bone fues with blade fuses.
Suprizingly every button, light, function works on the bike. Of course I dont know what half of them are on the travel computer yet. Oil looks good and fluids.
Anything else I should do to this bike before I ride it very much that you guys can think of other than the hard soldering wires and fuse replacements???
Only thing the guy I bought it from mentioned was that hed had the regulator replaced a few weeks ago,and that the honda mechanic changed his plugs putting " colder plugs" in it and that since then it take a few extra seconds for it to start than before. Starts fine but im wondering if should go back to the hotter plug that was in it before? Thanks be safe Ghost

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
Sounds like you got a beauty. I drove from WB to Harrisburg and back in that winter mess yesterday in a cage, so I knows it was not bike weather. Planning to be down on the Blue Ridge early next week, so I hope the weather is better. Enjoy your new Wing and ride safe..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts