Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dunlop E3 on '06 1800 with maybe 5k on tire.
Keep pressure around 36.
Center portion is noticeably higher than outer part.
I wet it down a little to show the wear better.
Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
674 Posts
Do you have a long dirt road that you have to drive on? Perhaps you need a knobby tire.:D

·
Registered
306 Posts
Looks just like my E-3 with 10k, I also run 36. I thought it was odd also but haven't had any problems. I think I can get another 3-4k out of mine.

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
I looks just my E3 did....At least you have some tread in the middle. I did not...

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Try a Bridgestone 709 with Dyna-Beads next time. I have 8,000 on mine and it is still very road worthy. No cupping and no wobbling. Mostly slab miles.

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
The manual says 32psi front and 36 rear for my bike. I run both at 40-41 with the same tire you have. I'd pump them up a bit. How hard do you run corners/twisties? That'll make a difference in wear pattern, too.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
36 psi seems low to me too. I run 40 front and 44 rear. No unusual tire wear.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Doesn't Dunlop use a multiple compound in the E3 tire, harder in the middle for increased mileage, softer on the side for traction in the turns? a harder compound at the center may explain what your seeing on the centerline. 36psi sounds low to me also, I follow the tire manufacturer guidelines since fitting E3's to my bike, Honda's inflation guidelines are for the Stones.

·
Administrator
15,293 Posts
I think I got from the Dunlop web site that E-3's on the Gold Wing should be at 40 pounds. That is where I've run mine and have right at 20,000 miles on front and back. The front has started to cup and I'll replace it before any long trips. The back is good for a while yet, even if it isn't a car tire.....

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Dunlop E3 on '06 1800 with maybe 5k on tire.
Keep pressure around 36.
Center portion is noticeably higher than outer part.
I wet it down a little to show the wear better.
Any thoughts?
Thanks.
Honda's Service Manual for the 1800 (2001-1010) on page 1-11 calls for 36 psi in front and 41 psi in rear. I run 42/42.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Doesn't Dunlop use a multiple compound in the E3 tire, harder in the middle for increased mileage, softer on the side for traction in the turns? a harder compound at the center may explain what your seeing on the centerline. 36psi sounds low to me also, I follow the tire manufacturer guidelines since fitting E3's to my bike, Honda's inflation guidelines are for the Stones.
BINGO!!!!
I think other brands also do this.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Glad you're getting this ironed out. Always follow tire manufacturer's inflation specs before the vehicle. That's why tires are NOT covered by the vehicle manufacturer warranty, but the tire manufacturer themselves.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Oh, and when the rear starts howling in the turns at 6-8K, that's normal too. My last set just shrieked in the turns. Sounded like an 18 wheeler in a hard turn.. Beyond noisy.

=Dave=

G

·
Glad you're getting this ironed out. Always follow tire manufacturer's inflation specs before the vehicle. That's why tires are NOT covered by the vehicle manufacturer warranty, but the tire manufacturer themselves.

I was told otherwise.The manufacturer of the tire does not know on what vehicle the tire will go on.(how heavy it is)

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
True enough, but the tire manufacturer DOES know what the tire is designed to carry and at what psi. Honda (or any other OEM) does not know from one manufacturer to the other. The specs Honda uses are what they think the bike should be used for at 'optimum' load and road conditions, not the real world. A difference of 4 psi over 10,000 miles is a huge margin under the stresses a tire is subjected to.

G

·
True enough, but the tire manufacturer DOES know what the tire is designed to carry and at what psi. Honda (or any other OEM) does not know from one manufacturer to the other. The specs Honda uses are what they think the bike should be used for at 'optimum' load and road conditions, not the real world. A difference of 4 psi over 10,000 miles is a huge margin under the stresses a tire is subjected to.
Forgive me if I insist on this. The tire manufacturer (on car at least) only tells you the maximum air pressure. I think is the same on bikes. It is your opinion that you should always inflate the tire to the max? In that case the car maker should say ” inflate tires to the maximum allowed by the tire manufacturer”. I’m confused.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Dunlop e3?

Oh, and when the rear starts howling in the turns at 6-8K, that's normal too. My last set just shrieked in the turns. Sounded like an 18 wheeler in a hard turn.. Beyond noisy.

=Dave=
I just bought a new back tire. Got rid of the E3 with a little over 9000 on it. Cupped real bad and I didn't trust it with vacation coming up in a couple of weeks. 40PSI in the rear at all times and ride one up mostly. I'm not a hot rodder at my age. I just like to ride. I bought a Metzeler 880 this time so I'll see how it wears. My front is a E3 with the same 9000 miles and it's doing fine. I guess time will tell.:confused:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.