Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a job that requires I am on call, and must answer phone calls. So when I am out on my new 2003 GL1800, I need a way to know phone calls are incoming. BUT......what if I don't want Bluetooth headsets, and I suppose I cannot hear a phone ringer with the phone in my pocket....and I do not want to mount the phone anywhere on the bike. What I was hoping for was some sort of 'red light: indicator I could mount on the windshield that would light up when a phone call is incoming. I would see it, then pull over and return the call right away. Does that exist?

·
Super Moderator
27,604 Posts
Don't know if anyone makes one, but they do have relays that can operate from a phone signal so I'm sure you can build something.

Maybe check youtube with a search for the subject

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
You might be pulling over every 15 - 20 minutes for nothing if you get as many robo/sales calls as the rest of us.
Mount on handlebars. Phone set to 'flash'. You can at-a-glance decide if you NEED to pull over. : )

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
In your left fairing pocket, you should find a short wire with a plug to listen to a stand alone mp3 through the headset. This can also work with your phone. You'll hear the incoming but you will not be able to make any output. Clandestine listening only.

·
Registered
50 Posts
No offense, but you've pretty much ruled out every option there is, within reason. About the only option you've left yourself is not to ride. I've read your desires else where, and since you don't want to talk to anyone, or listen to music, or communicate in any way while riding, I can only suggest one of the things you don't like. Wear a set of earbuds connected to your phone (not BT). You'll hear the ring, and when you can get to the side of the road, make your return call. Good luck.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Every phone has a headset plug so wire it to an LED light. Or easier yet put the ear plugs in your ear under your helmet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No offense, but you've pretty much ruled out every option there is, within reason. About the only option you've left yourself is not to ride. I've read your desires else where, and since you don't want to talk to anyone, or listen to music, or communicate in any way while riding, I can only suggest one of the things you don't like. Wear a set of earbuds connected to your phone (not BT). You'll hear the ring, and when you can get to the side of the road, make your return call. Good luck.
I got a Sena 10 with the bike when I bought it, so I guess I will install it in my helmet and use it to hear incoming calls. I will either cut off the microphone or stuff it out of the way. Yeah, I guess I am not a typical Goldwing rider.....not interested in talking or listening to music when riding. Riding for me is a time of peace, and don't need jabbering with people about trivial BS while riding. I also don't need a GPS staring me in the face to find my way. Riding the back roads of this country, absorbing the beauty, and relaxing is my style. That's me.

·
Super Moderator
27,604 Posts
I got a Sena 10 with the bike when I bought it, so I guess I will install it in my helmet and use it to hear incoming calls. I will either cut off the microphone or stuff it out of the way. Yeah, I guess I am not a typical Goldwing rider.....not interested in talking or listening to music when riding. Riding for me is a time of peace, and don't need jabbering with people about trivial BS while riding. I also don't need a GPS staring me in the face to find my way. Riding the back roads of this country, absorbing the beauty, and relaxing is my style. That's me.
You are more a typical Wing rider than you might think. As I stated in other threads, my wife and I have the Cardo Freecom 2's. Neither of us listen to music, our phones are shutoff, and although we have a GPS it is on silent (it is just used as reference). We don't care to pair our headsets to anything or anyone else. Not rudely done, just love our alone time. We have ridden our two wings in 48 lower US , 9 Canadian provinces (Pacific to Atlantic), never towed, and don't need anything but conversation between us.

:super:

·
Registered
148 Posts
1. Put the phone on vibrate and close enough to the body that you can feel it.
2. Set the phone to silence notifications except for incoming calls.
3. Ride.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
You are more a typical Wing rider than you might think. As I stated in other threads, my wife and I have the Cardo Freecom 2's. Neither of us listen to music, our phones are shutoff, and although we have a GPS it is on silent (it is just used as reference). We don't care to pair our headsets to anything or anyone else. Not rudely done, just love our alone time. We have ridden our two wings in 48 lower US , 9 Canadian provinces (Pacific to Atlantic), never towed, and don't need anything but conversation between us.

:super:
:agree: :goodpost:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts