Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While riding the Wing today I noticed an illuminated dashboard light that is not the norm. I pulled over and checked my owner's manual. The book says to slow your speed and take the bike to the dealer. I did! The dealer made an appointment for me next week to run a computer diagnostic check. The mechanic said as long as the Wing was running okay, there was no harm to the motor. However, if the Wing starts sputtering and acting erratic shut it down and get it to a dealer.

He also said the illuminated light was like a check engine light (?). The Wing runs fine but the light still comes on after 1 to 4 minutes after starting. This is the first time I've noticed anything out of the norm with the Wing in 18,000 miles.

Any other riders have this experience? Always looking for Wing info:D

Ride Safe

·
Super Moderator
9,999 Posts
Found this on another forum. Maybe this will help:

Found this in a search... fixed it up a bit:

If the FI light (Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL)) comes on pull over but DO NOT shut bike off. Put in neutral and put side stand down, RPM’s below 1500. This signals the ECM to send the error code to the MIL. Count the number of long and short flashes. This will give you the error code.

If you shut the bike off the error code is lost - sort of. It will be retained in the ECM but it is harder to get out. If the bike stops and the will not restart you can get the FI light to flash the error code by cranking the engine for 10 seconds. The FI light will then flash the error code.

Long Blink = 10 Short Blink = 1
i.e. long long long short short short = 33 check error code 33

Number of MIL blinks .Symptoms .Cause

0 No blinks • Engine does not start

• Open circuit in the power input and ground wires of the ECM: • Faulty bank angle sensor
• Open circuit in bank angle sensor related wires: • Faulty FI IGN relay: • Open circuit in FI IGN relay related wires
• Faulty engine stop switch: • Open circuit in engine stop switch related wires: • Faulty ECM: • Blown FI IGN fuse (20 A)
• Blown ST. KILL fuse (10 A):

0 No blinks • Engine operates normally
• Open circuit in MIL wire: • Faulty combination meter: • Faulty ECM

0 Stays lit • Engine operates normally
• Short circuit in service check connector wire: • Short circuit in MIL wire: • Faulty ECM

1 Blinks • Engine operates normally
• Loose or poorly connected MAP sensor connector: • Open or short circuit in MAP sensor wire: • Faulty MAP sensor

7 Blinks • Hard to start at a low temperature (ECM controls using preset value; coolant temperature: 85° C/185° F)
• Loose or poorly connected ECT sensor connector: • Open or short circuit in ECT sensor wire: • Faulty ECT sensor

8 Blinks • Poor engine response when operating the throttle quickly (ECM controls using preset value; throttle opening: 0° )
• Loose or poorly connected TP sensor connector: • Open or short circuit in TP sensor wire: • Faulty TP sensor

9 Blinks • Engine operates normally (ECM controls using preset value; intake air temperature: 28° C/82° F)
• Loose or poorly connected IAT sensor connector
• Open or short circuit in TP sensor wire: • Faulty IAT sensor

10 Blinks • Engine operates normally at low altitude
• Engine idles roughly at a high altitude (ECM controls using preset value; barometric pressure: 760 mm Hg/1,013 hPa)
• Loose or poorly connected BARO sensor connector: • Open or short circuit in BARO sensor wire: • Faulty BARO sensor

11 Blinks • Engine operates normally
• Loose or poorly connected vehicle speed sensor connector
• Open or short circuit in vehicle speed sensor wire: • Faulty vehicle speed sensor

12 Blinks • Engine does not start
• Loose or poorly connected No. 1 injector connector: • Open or short circuit in No. 1 injector wire: • Faulty No. 1 injector

13 Blinks • Engine does not start
• Loose or poorly connected No. 2 injector connector: • Open or short circuit in No. 2 injector wire: • Faulty No. 2 injector

14 No blinks • Engine does not start
• Loose or poorly connected No. 3 injector connector: • Open or short circuit in No. 3 injector wire: • Faulty No. 3 injector

15 Blinks • Engine does not start
• Loose or poorly connected No. 4 injector connector: • Open or short circuit in No. 4 injector wire: • Faulty No. 4 injector

16 Blinks • Engine does not start
• Loose or poorly connected No. 5 injector connector: • Open or short circuit in No. 5 injector wire: • Faulty No. 5 injector

17 Blinks • Engine does not start
• Loose or poorly connected No. 6 injector connector: • Open or short circuit in No. 6 injector wire: • Faulty No. 6 injector

18 Blinks • Engine does not start
• Loose or poorly connected camshaft position sensor connector
• Open or short circuit in camshaft position sensor wire: • Faulty camshaft position sensor

19 Blinks • Engine does not start
• Loose or poorly connected ignition pulse generator connector:
• Open or short circuit in ignition pulse generator wire: • Faulty ignition pulse generator

21 Blinks • Engine operates normally
• Open or short circuit in right O2 sensor wire: • Faulty right O2 sensor

22 Blinks • Engine operates normally
• Open or short circuit in left O2 sensor wire: • Faulty left O2 sensor

23 Blinks • Engine operates normally
• Open or short circuit in right O2 sensor heater wire: • Faulty right O2 sensor

24 Blinks • Engine operates normally
• Open or short circuit in left O2 sensor heater wire: • Faulty left O2 sensor

25 Blinks • Engine operates normally
• Loose or poorly connected right knock sensor connector: • Open or short circuit in right knock sensor wire: • Faulty right knock sensor

26 Blinks • Engine operates normally
• Loose or poorly connected left knock sensor connector: • Open or short circuit in left knock sensor wire: • Faulty left knock sensor

29 Blinks • Engine stalls, hard to start, rough idling
• Loose or poorly connected idle air control (IAC) valve connector: • Open or short circuit in IAC valve wire: • Faulty idle air control valve

33 Blinks • ECM does not hold the self diagnostic data
• Faulty E2-PROM in ECM • Engine operates normally

41 No blinks • Engine operates normally
• Loose or poorly connected connector in gear position switch related circuits
• Open or short circuit in gear position switch wires: • Faulty gear position switch: • Faulty clutch switch: • Faulty side stand switch

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Chopin and Two Wheel. My Wing is a 2010. The light comes on when the ignition switch is in the on position then once the motor starts goes off...only to return and remain on 1 to 3 minutes later.

I'll probably ride tomorrow and will test out Two Wheel report, I printed the entire post and will monitor the outcome. Thanks again.

Ride Safe

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GoldWing Warranty/PGM-FI Lamp

Rode the Wing to the dealer this am. Warning light did not come on during the 13 mile trip. Mechanic checked the bike with diagnostic computer. In the "history" there was a code that stated that the "Speed Sensor" had malfunctioned; however, all was showing OK at present.
Anyway, the mechanice said it may take as long as three hrs to tear down the Wing to get to the part that needs to be checked. (I assumed 3 hrs was tear down and re-install all the plastic)

Once the bike is torn down and the sensor checked, HONDA is then called and given the nature of the problem, HONDA then decides if the item is covered under warranty. I was told this is about a 20/80decision - 80% being a covered fault, 20% that it's not.

If HONDA says that it's not a covered item, I would have to pay the dealer for the time spent by the mechanic for disassembling and assembling the Wing...est $240.00

When I questioned this practice I was told that it was possible that a mouse may have chewed a wire and caused the fault...warranty would not cover this. Also, I was questioned because I had a qualified mechanic install a "flashing" type brake light and it was not installed by a Honda Dealer. I explained that this flashing light gismo was installed on the bike over 10,000 miles ago. It seemed to me that the dealer was grasping at straws to get out of doing the work. However, the mechanic called HONDA and explained the situation. They said that the mechanic should "clear" the code history and if/when the light started acting up again I should bring it to the dealer asap and not turn off the ignition. That sounded reasonable to me so that was done. The light did not come on while riding home.

Tomorrow, weather permitting, I'll gas up the Wing and do a 100 mile run just to see if the light comes on. Hopefully not.

So...if HONDA doesn't decides not to cover an item under its warranty I now know that I will have to pay the piper. Hope this info helps others if they encounter a problem.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2012 GL1800, 25,000+ miles. Sunday, 21 October 2018 was a very nice day in north Texas to get out and ride. My wife and I took a 30-minute ride to a nice spot for lunch. No problems. After lunch, came out to the bike, tried to start it, and uncharacteristically, it spun strongly for about three seconds but did not start. That's never happened before. I got off the starter, waited about five seconds, tried it again, and the engine spun strongly for about three seconds, but did not start. This is not looking good. Waited for about five seconds, tried it again, and it started right up. Strange. Within just a minute or two of starting our ride back home, I noticed my PGM-FI light was on. Dang. Bike ran fine all the way home. The light stayed on all the way home. Pulled in to the garage, shut the bike off, waited a few minutes, and started it back up, with no PGM-FI light. Came out to the bike the next morning, started it up with no trouble, and no light. So, (1) I now have this idea in the back of my head that the bike could quit on me at any moment, and (2) It's an intermittent problem that no mechanic likes to deal with, but (3) I've read the posts in this thread and feel better equipped to diagnose the "blinks' should it happen again. I'm going to call a mechanic I trust and talk him through the problem and get a recommendation, but I'll probably just ride the thing until it acts up again. Hopefully I won't be 2,000 miles from home when it happens.

Thanks to Two Wheel Wing for laying out the diagnostic details.

·
Premium Member
24,641 Posts
These electronic systems are wonderful when they function as they are supposed to. Nightmare if they don't. As with a lot of electrical issues, it can be intermittent and that's a real pain to diagnose.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
T-Rex

Have you or maybe a previous owner installed a Nav lockout bypass. On 09 and ups if you put a switch in the speed sense line to bypass the lockout. If the switch opens the speed sense line too long you will get that error.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Negative for me. I do not know what a NLB is. I doubt the previous owner did that.
The nav lockout bypass would not interfere in the bike starting. It will allow you access to the nav features while moving but the map will not update you location and if the speed sense line/wire is open too long you will get a Fl light. If you forget to close the speed sense line and you turn off the bike when you start the bike the Fl light will be out. If you then start out you will have two issues.
One the Nav will not update your locating.
Two the Fl light will come on after a few minutes of riding.

T-rex does the speedometer work and does the nav update your location when you are riding ?
From your post I suspect that the speedometer works but the nav does not update. Just an educated guess at this point.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Negative for me. I do not know what a NLB is. I doubt the previous owner did that.
The nav lockout bypass would not interfere in the bike starting. It will allow you access to the nav features while moving but the map will not update you location and if the speed sense line/wire is open too long you will get a Fl light. If you forget to close the speed sense line and you turn off the bike when you start the bike the Fl light will be out. If you then start out you will have two issues.
One the Nav will only update your locating when you are stopped.
Two the Fl light will come on after a few minutes of riding.

T-rex does the speedometer work and does the nav update your location when you are riding ?
From your post I suspect that the speedometer works but the nav does not update. Just an educated guess at this point.

·
Registered
1 Posts
While riding the Wing today I noticed an illuminated dashboard light that is not the norm. I pulled over and checked my owner's manual. The book says to slow your speed and take the bike to the dealer. I did! The dealer made an appointment for me next week to run a computer diagnostic check. The mechanic said as long as the Wing was running okay, there was no harm to the motor. However, if the Wing starts sputtering and acting erratic shut it down and get it to a dealer.

He also said the illuminated light was like a check engine light (?). The Wing runs fine but the light still comes on after 1 to 4 minutes after starting. This is the first time I've noticed anything out of the norm with the Wing in 18,000 miles.

Any other riders have this experience? Always looking for Wing info:D

Ride Safe
Hello, I have a 2013 f6b, 48k miles, light comes on about 50 miles into the ride, it's been doing this for quite some time! I tried seafoam into the tank, no results, from what I read its fuel injection related, bike runs fine, been ignoring it. Maybe mention it when it goes in for air filter replacement ( I refuse to do this, it's a nightmare!) Keep u informed

·
Super Moderator
12,264 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
7,582 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Solo Rider. I hope you get the indicator light issue sorted out ok (and inexpensively).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts