Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you already know my story but for those who don't, I recently purchased a 1982 Goldwing with Vetter luggage. 30000 mi and two previous owners only. Last owner held it for the longest of time but rode it the very least. All regular maintenance done up to purchase, even while in storage. I highly doubt that the reserve tank was ever used before I bought it.
So, I decided to run through the main tank to find out what kind of mileage I was getting. When the main tank ran out, I pulled over to the side of the road, switched to reserve tank and tried to start the machine again. No-go! I shook the tank but could not hear fuel. So I enlisted assistance and refilled the tank the following morning. It only took a little over three and a half gallons.
I'm kinda stumped. Is my petcock messed up, or could something else have caused my problem. I don't want to have to walk another 45 blocks home if this happens again. I'm 60 years old, and thank God I was packing because I crossed paths with a lot of dangerous weirdos on the way back home at 1:00am. Anyone have any suggestions or similar experiences to share?

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
I once pushed my CB750 about a mile before I double checked the petcock and found that I had turned it to OFF instead of Reserve. Of course, it started right up when I corrected my error.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I once had to go to the reserve and then forgot to switch it back off of reserve....................so my habit was run it till she sputters, switch to reserve and go get gas (no guage)...... so you know where this goes.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I suppose, since the bike is nearly 40 years old, that the tube in the tank that creates the reserve could have a hole corroded through near the bottom or has come loose, therefore pulling fuel from the bottom not the top of the tube, so no reserve
???????

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol, I checked position a dozen times. Up is Run, down is Res, and off is in-between.
3.5 gal top off means there was gas in tank, even if I could not hear a slosh. Carbs were drained while trying to restart in Reserve. No fuel flow in reserve. Maybe the reserve tube is clogged with varnish and crud.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The "reserve tube" is what is used normally to run the bike. It's whatever hole the reserve mode uses to bypass the tube that might be blocked with crud. ;)

Although, now that I think about it, maybe it's still a (much) shorter tube, to keep the real crud at the bottom of the tank?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
my Kawasaki Vulcan was, to me backward on where it was pointing,my story and I'm sticking to it, so,...... been there..... done that

Reactions: IndignantOne

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think i would just take out the petcock and flush the tank and at the same time you can clean the screen on the petcock that is what is stopped but it is stopped up from debris it the tank,,so now i hope nothing is in your carbs
then you have another problem ..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I only ride about an hour each day, so I am just finishing my second tank of fuel. A couple more tank fills and I should see more definitive milage numbers. I'm estimating about 30 mpg at this time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts