Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I am a little new around here. I have searched to see if had been asked before but I didnt see it. if so sorry about this but here I go.
I just bought a 1982 wing GLI 1100 It wouldnt start when I got it.I had been sitting in a garage for the last FIVE years.I was able to get it running I changed the fluids and I have rode a few times but now that I changed the oil castrol (10/w40) I am getting a leak coming from what looks like a weap hole on the bottom of the engine about four or so inches back from what I am quessing is the water pump.does anyone have any clues about this

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
May sound dumb but... Does you bike have a crush washer on the drain plug? If so did you replace it. Sometimes you will get a few drops from the plug if you don't.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Oil leaks can be difficult to pinpoint their origin. Try this: put the bike onthe centre stand, and get underneath with some clean shoprags and a bit of solvent and clean and dry the whole underside of the engine. Then over a period of time check to see where the oil is coming from (I did this with an atv that was seeping; turned out to be the engine case seal!). If it's starts at the drain plug then the crush washer is likely the culprit (it's recommended to replace them at each change) or it isn't uncommon for plugs being over torqued and stripped to some extent.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is the leak milky/watery? Or just oil?
There is a weep hole from the bottom of the water pump housing. The hole goes up between the two seals of the water pump itself. If it leaks, you will probably need a new pump. Aftermarket kits with seals and orings are available, 1 place is partsnmore.com For the water pump itself, many would suggest an OEM pump, cheapest OEM I have found is westernhonda.com Here is a site that explains the procedure very well: http://www.goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=275&start=20

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Brian,
thanks for the information the oil dripping is clean oil and it didnt start doing it until about a week after I changed the oil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts