Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow riding enthusiasts everywhere !

I would like to invite you check-out and linger on this (my) blog. If you are thinking about spending any time riding in Pa and you would like some insight as to where to find many of the best roads - OR if you just need something to do during the coming winter - I hope you will find this to be Bookmark worthy!

Intro:
http://www.pa-mag.com/2009/04/15/intro-to-motorcycle-touring-in-pa/

Rides & Routes:
http://www.pa-mag.com/motorcycle-touring/

Your feedback is always appreciated

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
Thanks for the info. Pa does have a lot of great places to ride. I'll be trying some of your roads out when the weather breaks. Maybe we will meet up someday. Take care and ride safe.

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
Oh, and welcome to the forum from another Keystone state'r....

·
Super Moderator
28,431 Posts
Nice job from another guy from PA. You can certainly find lots of interesting roads. I'm located in Schuylkill County let me know if you need any info on some of ours.

As my double rubber friend said. Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Touring Pennsylvania

Hi guys,i am setting a traval route from N.B.Canada to Nashville Ten.The first day through Maine is a breeze.Day 2 i am leaveing from Auburn Mass.on I90 to rd23 Mass. entering NY on rd23.Hooking on to route 9.From route 9 hooking onto 209 and into PA all the way to Millersburg,and south to Harrisburg.End of day one.My question,are these nice bikeing routes?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thats a very good choice for your route. The only suggestion for improvement that I would make is for you to consider picking-up PA443 at Lehighton and ride that all the way to US322 just a few miles North of Harrisburg - its a better ride than US209 in that region of PA IMHO.

·
Super Moderator
28,431 Posts
Brad is correct on one hand the 443 route is a nicer road that goes through somewhat farm land mostly in valley with nice views & some nice small towns. The 209 route touches the Southern end of Anthracite Coal region in my area as well as a really nice town Jim Thorpe, it's a bit more mountainous & goes through Pottsville (Home of Yuengling Brewery-worth a tour of old Brewery) after leaving Pottsville area & going under 81, 209 then runs into farm land to Millersburg. I don't know what the ferry's hours are but that is neat to do. You & your bike somewhere around $5 & you still can get to Harrisburg from the other side of the river. Do a Google search for Millersburg Ferry to get info.

Good Luck on whatever decision you make. Depending on the time of year you go I may see you on the road. I'm located 8 miles north of Pottsville.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree

if your heart is set on riding the Millersburg Ferry (which is pretty cool) I would suggest that you pick-up PA25 near Tremont. Its just a nicer ride...zero traffic, beautiful views, good tarmac - very serene. It drops you off at US209 in Millersburg.

·
Registered
12 Posts
pennsylvania motorcycle tour

Bmorgan9119..PA 443 is in what way a better ride?More scenic,better tarmac,more twisties?I am open to any suggestions.Oh and thanks for the feed back. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts

fossil92.Hi and thanks for the feed back.We are leaveing on the 13th of May/2010.Stopping in Mass for the night,should be in your neck of the woods in the afternoon of the 14th of May.Harrisburg was not my real destination,just a basic where about to end the day.Any good places to bunk up for the night?motels and or bed and breakfast?Thanks again. :)

·
Super Moderator
28,431 Posts
Wing nut, All the major chains near I-81. Some B&B's along the river in some smaller towns. Can't think of any in particular but if I do 'll let you know.

To answer your question to Brad the 443 tarmac is a bit better than 209 & a little less traffic but, 209 is not terrible it just depends if you want to ride more in valley or more in the hills that's all. There are lot's of great roads in our area but if you want to cover ground those are some of the ones you should take. Either them or 81.

Check some of the others out on this website.

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/index.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Bmorgan9119..PA 443 is in what way a better ride?More scenic,better tarmac,more twisties?I am open to any suggestions.Oh and thanks for the feed back. :)
Once you get past PA61 in Pottsville - US209 becomes much less scenic and enjoyable to ride, its not a bad road but in my opinion PA443 offers MANY more curves (nothing tight or technical), much less traffic, significantly fewer stops and much nicer scenery....IMHO. Road quality is the same.

In summary - you will avoid more of the annoyances of 'civilization' on PA443.

·
Registered
12 Posts

fossil92.I have desided to take the 433 into Harrisburg,that will take me around 8/10 hours from Auburn Mass.The next day i am heading south east to Blacksburg Nourth Carolina.Any sagestions?:)

·
Registered
12 Posts

Thanks for the addvice Brad,i have desided to take the 433 into Harrisburg.The imput is very much appreciated.From Harrisburg i am charting a course to Blacksburg North Carolina.Any input to route selection is welcome,thanks again.:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks for the addvice Brad,i have desided to take the 433 into Harrisburg.The imput is very much appreciated.From Harrisburg i am charting a course to Blacksburg North Carolina.Any input to route selection is welcome,thanks again.:)
Lots of options - what kind of time to you want to make between Hbrg and Bbrg?

Assuming you want to do this in one day. I would suggest:

* Take the Turnpike (I76)to PA 75
* Pa 75 to the Md border where it becomes MD57 to US40
* US40 / MD144 / I68 to US219
* US219 all the way down to US460 to Blacksburg,Va

This beats the alternative superslab direct route of I81. It can be done in arround 8 - 9 hours with 15 min stops every 2:15 minutes - driving at a 'sporting pace' :). Its 450 miles. The direct route down I81 is 320mi - about a 5 - 6 hour ride.

In MD - along I68, you should take advantage of "Scenic" US40 and MD144 which both snake alongside the I68 superslab with plenty of interchanges to get on and off I68. As long as you keep heading West you will be OK - you wont get lost. The US40 "scenic" route is a must! As you get closer to Cumberland you will be forced back on to I68 which is where you should stay until you connect with US219 south.

US219 through WV is one the great long-haul motorcycle roads out there - period. It is worth going a bit out of your way to ride!

Anyway - If I was going from Harrisburg to Blacksburg and had a full day to do it - this would be my plan. Many sections of these roads involve tight turns so weather would play a role in this selection. The really bad weather alternative would be I81 :(

Lastly - you may want to consider staying overnight in Carlisle as opposed to Hbrg. There are actually more hotel/motel options in the Carlisle area and its a bit cheaper. The reason is the proxikity of the I81/Turnpike exchange and the Carlisle Fairgrounds which hosts many National car shows and events.

Hope this gives you some options to consider!

·
Registered
12 Posts

Thanks Brad.I had started a route almost the same as yours,the only differnce was route 220 to bhrg.Is the 219 the road less traveled?:) Oh and thank for the tip about Carlisle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks Brad.I had started a route almost the same as yours,the only differnce was route 220 to bhrg.Is the 219 the road less traveled?:) Oh and thank for the tip about Carlisle.
US220 is not a bad choice at all, however, I would go a bit out of the way to US219 because (in my opinon) from start to finish it offers much more of the good stuff (curves, elevation changes, light traffic, scenery etc) and less traffic & congestion in spots - especially in and around Cumberland,Md...its a mess in that area - I endured that a few years ago and I swore "never again". It looks innocent enough on the map but it really sux - once you get 5 - 10 miles south of Cumberland it improves significantly.

Dont just take my word for it - Dale Coyner in his book "Motorcycle Journeys Through the Appalachians says of US219 - "South of Oakland,Md it enters it's prime, from here to Lewisburg this ribbon of asphalt is the finest North-South route in WV." (i highly recommend this book BTW)

I have riden this road many times - I often use the town of Elkins as an overnight base-camp for WV curve carving expeditions! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts

Thanks Brad.I am very grateful for all your imput.Say 3 is in the plans to do us219.Thanks again.What part of PA are you located?From Blkburg i will be takeing the highway straight into Nashville,running a little short on time.But am planning an overnight run to do the Skyway and the Dragins Tail,in the seven days we plan to be in Tenn.On the way home we plan to head up to St.Lois,up to Indiana,Up to Erie and follow the great lakes up to Buffalo,Cross over to Vermont,NewHamshire,Maine and then home again.If you have any info on the routes for my return trip do not hesitate to give me your opinoin.:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks Brad.I am very grateful for all your imput.Say 3 is in the plans to do us219.Thanks again.What part of PA are you located?From Blkburg i will be takeing the highway straight into Nashville,running a little short on time.But am planning an overnight run to do the Skyway and the Dragins Tail,in the seven days we plan to be in Tenn.On the way home we plan to head up to St.Lois,up to Indiana,Up to Erie and follow the great lakes up to Buffalo,Cross over to Vermont,NewHamshire,Maine and then home again.If you have any info on the routes for my return trip do not hesitate to give me your opinoin.:)
No problem - I get a vicarious thrill from helping others plan a great ride!

I live in Carlisle so when you get here you can look me-up and I'll let you buy me a cup of coffee or something !!

You will definitely enjoy The Dragon - i did it for the first time this summer and it was worth it. I hit it real early in the morning so I had her all to myself for a few hours !!! :D

Regarding your return trip:

From Nashville to St.Louis - look at going through Southern Illinois. Off I24 I'd connect to Illinois 146 at Vienna then to Illinois 127 - take a brief detour to Bald Knob Cross at Alto Pass you will not regret it. (bring your camera). Then take Illinois 3 up into St'Louis. [BTW - I grew-up in this area FWIW]

In Southern Indiana - look for Indiana Rt 62 as an awesome alternative for I64 from Dale to the KY border.

From Erie - you should consider riding US6 Eastward - its a great road

Shoot me a note as you get closer to the date of your trip !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts