Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I currently have both an 2005 Wing and a 2004 ST1300. One of them will be for sale in the spring, but for now I am enjoying riding both. I have been wishing for a bit more leg room on the ST and a bit more cornering clearance on the Wing. Somehow I noticed that the Wing's pegs looked like they were a bit lower than the ST's. Sure enough, they are interchangeable (you may already have known that...) and provide two benefits:

First, the ST now has about an inch more legroom. It's not a huge difference in legroom, but it helps (and the pegs are broader too, which provides more support for the feet). It has lost some cornering clearance, but with the peg feelers off, its not too bad.

Second, the Wing has a bit more ground clearance without a significant difference in the feel of the legroom. (I know there is a difference, but it doesn't feel much different). Though the feet are a bit higher (obviously), I can slide them forward a bit more, since my toes are now above the shift lever and brake pedal, which seems to compensate.

Since I had both right now, this took about 15 minutes and cost me nothing. I like the results on both bikes. If I were headed to the Dragon with the ST, I'd want the stock pegs with me, but for most of the roads I am on, this is a good swap.

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Interesting Swoop, necessity is really the mother of invention. Thanks for posting this may help others.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Very cool idea. All the time I had my ST, I never once scraped the feelers, but I did explore the lean angles fairly deep. After riding a psudo chopper for ten years, the ST had more than enough cornering clearance for me at the time. Today I'm sure I'd be pushing it a bit harder and finding the limits of it's abilities.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Thanks Swoop. I'm ordering me a set of aftermarket ST pegs after I look at what is available. I was just in the process of modifying an old set of scraped up pegs wheno saw your post.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You wouldn't think 7/8 of an inch would make much difference, but it really has helped (the pegs are a little shorter too, so they don't stick out as much). I also notched out the sidestand pivot so the kickstand doesn't drag as early either. Making progress. I still love the ST in the twisties, but the big wing is getting better...

·
Registered
741 Posts
I can see that 7/8" would make a big difference. I also noticed that my Honda dirt bike pegs (titanium) may fit. I will take one set off this weekend and see. I would prefer to the dirtbike pegs as they have sharp metal teeth CRFSTUFFTifootpeglogo.jpg and will keep your foot from slipping, as I have several times when the rubber ones are wet or I have some oil/grease on the bottom of my boots. How is the reach to the shifter and foot brake with the height difference? You probably don't even notice I imagine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dookoo, to be honest, the peg/shifter relationship is actually better for me. I always felt the shifter was a bit too high (I must have very pointy feet!). I usually adjust the shifter down on my bikes if I can (not really possible on the Wing). With the additional height, the shifter fits just under my toe but is still easy to get under for upshifts. YMMV

·
Registered
741 Posts
Once again, thank you Swoop. Dookoo's friend and myself have ordered a set of ST pegs. The motocross pegs did not have a good fit and did not raise the pegs much. Should have them by Friday. I'm already on my 3rd set of Goldwing pegs and glad it may be my last.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
741 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Dookoo, to be honest, the peg/shifter relationship is actually better for me. I always felt the shifter was a bit too high (I must have very pointy feet!). I usually adjust the shifter down on my bikes if I can (not really possible on the Wing). With the additional height, the shifter fits just under my toe but is still easy to get under for upshifts. YMMV
This sounds very promising... however, do the ST pegs still make first contact with the asphalt and perform the early warning function before the contact points become expensive?

Rick

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rick, I have only touched down on the right side since then, and only barely, but the peg touched first. I'll try to do the old "plywood test" tonight to see how much the pegs touch before the hard parts on each side.

Mark

·
Registered
741 Posts
We cancelled the order for the ST pegs and went with these instead. footpeg.JPG

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can't see them very well, but they do look like they offer quite a bit more ground clearance. You'll have to let us know how they feel.

Mark

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Wow Dookoo, those are serious!. What are they going to be like on a long haul I wonder?

·
Registered
741 Posts
The pic is of Dookoo's Friends Wing. He will get back to us on how they work out. They are adjustable MFW pegs for an ST. Pull the cotter pin and pin and drop in the stock pegs.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I can't see them very well, but they do look like they offer quite a bit more ground clearance. You'll have to let us know how they feel.

Mark
If you click on the picture, it will enlarge it to get a better view.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Well, Dookoo's Friend did not get back on how he liked the pegs on this thread so I'll quote what he texted me: "The race pegs are nice. No peg dragging in the usual drag spots in my area. I'm able to really dip the wing down under my slow speed maneuvers. Almost lost my grip counterbalancing on the inside hand grip. Never dipped it that far down b4. Talk about sitting on top of the ball." I think he likes it. I can't wait.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts