Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the Pathfinder LED's, high and low beams in a 1st gen GL1800 yet? I put the low beams in to start and blinded everyone. Called SoCal they told me to use the manual adjuster to get them low enough. Once I did that my Halogen high beams were aimed lower than my low beams. I decided to fix it by installing the same LED's in my high beams. Still aimed lower than low beams.
Has anyone got a success story installing these and I'm just not getting it?

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Had the LEDs in the low beams only on my 2006 . Never had a problem with other drivers or the high beams being too low. Have a friend that has the same problem as you on his 2012. High beams are lower than the low beams. On my 2017 I have the LEDs in both the high and low beams . No problems with other drivers in over two years. And the high and low beams are aimed as they should be.

Reactions: darrhacker

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have an '03 GL1800. Installed EC LEDs in the low beams one year, and EC LEDs in the high beams the next year. No issues with blinding drivers.

I also replaced both headlight adjuster motors this year, which required realigning the headlights afterwards.

High and low beams are adjusted at the same time, as there is only one adjuster screw and nut, so the only way for them to cross each other is for the bulb elements to be out of alignment in the housing. You can verify this just by looking through the headlight lens. It is possible to get them in at a tilt and still get the spring bail to close behind them.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
I have an '03 GL1800. Installed EC LEDs in the low beams one year, and EC LEDs in the high beams the next year. No issues with blinding drivers.

I also replaced both headlight adjuster motors this year, which required realigning the headlights afterwards.

High and low beams are adjusted at the same time, as there is only one adjuster screw and nut, so the only way for them to cross each other is for the bulb elements to be out of alignment in the housing. You can verify this just by looking through the headlight lens. It is possible to get them in at a tilt and still get the spring bail to close behind them.
There is another issue with the alignment of these bikes. I know for a fact that the LEDs are seated properly . After hours and two sets of Pathfinder LEDs in the high beams and swapping the LEDs between the high and low positions and confirming they were seated correctly they still pointed below the low beams.
Even paid a dealer to try his luck. It is possible that there is an alignment issue that only shows up in the deflectors on these bikes with LEDs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've actually removed the full front fairing to get complete access to the rear of the headlight assemblies. They were in flat and the index notch in proper place. I've contacted Jack at SoCal and he told me the led's on the bulb assembly should be oriented top and bottom not left and right. He said there was a screw to move the index notch if needed. All four are left and right and there is no screw or way to re-index the bulbs. How are your bulbs indexed on yours?

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
If you look at the #6 marking you will see a very small set screw. There are two one at each #6 mark. That is what he is talking about . But all of mine are left and right. And when I talked to him about my friends he made no mention about changing the orientation other than to make sure they where around the 0.

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just ran out to my garage and took it out and you are correct. I wasn't even looking on the sides for the set screw, was looking on the face and back. I'm not quite sure why orientation of the led's should be different from any other 1st gen 1800, but I will try it and let you know if it makes a difference so you can pass it on. Otherwise I may just have to go back to all Halogens. Too much night riding to be without my brights.
As you can see in the background of the pic I've got the forks off as well. Sent my 2 year old Progressive Suspension cartridges back in to be checked. Too much dive and weak springs. I hope to get it all back together in time for a trip out through Colorado and Utah after the 4th.
I appreciate your input!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Where are you planning on coming through Utah? I'm in the salt lake area.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I fixed the problem with the LED Headlamps finally. I took the low beams out once I had the entire fairing off and found they weren't seated flatly. High beams were correct the whole time. I've tested the aim of all 4 headlamps while on the bike lift and they seem to be fine. Once it's all back together I'll hopefully get them correctly aimed.

JKWinger- Sorry for the late reply but I wasn't able to take my trip at all. I'm still waiting for Progressive Suspensions to send me warranty replacement fork cartridges that I sent them 2 months ago. At the end of June they said they were shipping a new set out to me so I could make my trip. A week later I call them and I'm told they don't have any to send. Now it's been 2 weeks since that call and I haven't heard anything. I've checked websites and everyone has their cartridges in stock. Apparently it is more important for them to get new sales instead of taking care of the ones they've already been paid on. Pretty disappointed in their customer service even with them hiding behind the COVID19 excuses. COVID19 doesn't keep their phone or email from working.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I failed to mention that I either misunderstood Jack or he was confused about the clocing of the LED's. The LED's should be oriented left and right (led's facing 3 and 9 o'clock), tab clocked at 12 to obtain the correct beam. I clocked the index tab to 12 on the left side lights and 9 on the right side to test beam patterns. 9 o'clock pattern was narrow and would blind everyone near and far. I also found some good information on the web explaining the clocking of the led's.
LED Headlight Bulb Orientation Guide - GO Performance.

Thank you for everyone's input!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm sure I'll get them back soon. I've missed taking my therapy rides during all of the stay at home and work from home orders!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts