Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the misfortune to ride over a construction screw. When I realized it I was getting off work and needed to get home.
I work in an Auto dealer shop so I pulled the rear wheel off and dismantled it, buffed the inside and installed a patch. I also added tire talc to the inside to coat the excess glue. I accidently dropped the tire and all my bead balancing >jumped out< so I had to add another 2oz pack.
Okay here is the question, How safe is this going to be? :kaboom:
I know I can do car tires all day long if done properly and not have problems.
I would rather put a new one on but short of funds until end of year it is looking like. And this tire only had 3,000 miles on it as I just got and installed December. And it is a 704.:SadSigh:

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
I have ridden over 14,000 miles on a plugged tire. I have used up to two rope plugs in the same hole on a tire and ridden it until the wear bar touched down. I have never replaced a tire because it had a hole in it. But I don't have any kids or common sense. So you need to evalutae what your life is worth and that is something I can't answer..

·
Premium Member
23,795 Posts
If you rode a car tire you wouldn't be asking this. Hmmmmmm................

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
If you rode a car tire you wouldn't be asking this. Hmmmmmm................

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

I do on both my sedan and my SUV. they both have four each.

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Motorcycle tires are sketchy at best, some wear great some like crap. Have seen them with uneven wear lots of times and have cut a lot of mine in half to check actual rubber thickness and seen that it is not an even spread. Point is you may get lucky and have no issues at all (higher chances of that with an internal patch) or the puncture may cause the tire separate and fail. As stated above it is a call only you can make, my personal history with motorcycle tires is they are junk and very inconsistent. We are stuck with them on the front but can go darkside on the back, really for me I wont run one that has a repair any longer than I have to, but I ride every day as my commuter and for long trips so a tire failure for me is more than an inconvenience.

I run a car tire on the rear and I actually patched it about5K miles ago and have not worried about it in the least, but for a motorcycle tire I would replace as soon as possible.......but that is just me.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Here is my opinion......... I too have worked on cars all my life and patched thousands of car, truck, tractor, and you name it tires...... If I did the patch job myself..... I would know how much rubber I removed on the inside..... I would know if I went to deep on the grind......you know the job you did...... so.....

Do you trust what you did.

Reactions: Chopin

·
Super Moderator
14,564 Posts
As has been said, it's your behind. I've never patched a motorcycle tire so can't really say. I have plugged them to get home, rode some until I could replace it. But it was always local and I would take it easy. I've even started some trips on tires with mileage, but know what to expect on the two types I normally use and it would not go over my expectations. When it would I replaced them a tad early. So I would say it's how you ride and where you plan to go. Local, I would just go. On a trip, it's part of the cost.

·
Premium Member
3,912 Posts
I'm with the others. I had a nail in a tire with just 4000 miles but was in Georgia and had to get back to Virginia. I just bit the bullet and spent way more than I would if I had been home, but in the end, I made it home. If I was just going to ride around town I'd nurse it along for a bit but if you're planning any trips, you may want to change it.

Steve

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well gentlemen, agree with most of you. And sorry, Lee I like MC tires on a MC. When I bought it it had a car tire on it. When I brought into the shop I could get off of it and it would stand by itself on that run flat. I am going to bite the bullet and set some money aside somehow and get a new tire and get one of those rear wheels off of Ebay. That way I can ride the patched tire in city and when taking trips put the new on the back.
I trust the repair that I did as barely scuffed inner liner to remove Talc and ridges. Used liquid Tire buffer to clean. A quality vulcanizing cement and a 1/8 inch plug/patch.. But the last MC tire repair I did was on a tube tire not a tubeless. So just not sure about tubeless repairs on a MC tire as by design unless dead center the rest is sidewall.

·
Registered
297 Posts
A few years ago I had a trip planned out of state with some friends. Packing my bike the night before we left I noticed my tire looked low. Under inspection I found a screw just to right of center in the rear tire. It was 9 p.m. and we were leaving at 6 a.m. the next morning. I plugged the tire, added air, loaded the bike and checked it in the morning. If it would have lost any air overnight I was going to delay the departure. It didn't. My wife and I loaded up, rode the bike out of state, and had a great week of riding.

Now, I will say we were in a group and I always had someone behind me so if they saw anything goofy with the tire they could help alert me to problems. If the screw would have been closer to the edge of the tire I would not have trusted it.

As soon as I returned from the trip I replaced the tire. I will also admit I thought about it every time I got on the bike that week.

So have I ridden with a plugged tire? yes. Do I want to? No way. But if I had a tire with 3,000 miles on it I don't know what I would do.

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
Last year I had a screw in my back tire and plugged it with a mushroom style plug. I ran that tire for some time without any issues. Then I was lucky enough to get another screw in the front tire. I decided to change both tires before I headed south with my wife to the BRP and The Tail of the Dragon.

·
Administrator
25,924 Posts
Necessity will often dictate. Given the choice and if I were a long ways from home, I'd be looking to plug a bit of money on my Mastercard. In a pinch you do what you gotta do.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have plugged only 1 tire in my riding history and was on a vmax rear tire. It was a brand new bike and i rode it for maybe a few hundred miles before i took it off, just couldn't take the risk, hated to but rather have peace of mind

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I personally hate tire plugs. And a guy I know in California can totally attest to that as he was involved in giant debacle where several people were killed in a car accident from a plugged tire. I have no problem buffing a little of the inside of the tire and putting a patch/plug in just was not sure about M/C tires. Right now I have about 2k on the patch/plug that I put in this tire. I check the pressure daily.
As I work in a shop I have access to a tire machine. Not motorcycle specific mind you, but it allows me to mount my own tires. And I use bead balance, so I feel that I may make it till I do have the funds to replace. I have so many things that suddenly popped up needing repair or replaced right after sending a ton of money to wingstuff this past year. :<(

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
An update, on my tire repair. I have 18k on this tire repair now and still have over 4/32 tread on tire. It is feathering, so kind of hums in twisties a little. At first I thought it was the bearings. I had purchased a front and rear wheels off of Ebay total of $75 US dollars. Put new bearings in the front wheel. I also installed 2 new tires. So I replaced both front and back noise went away. Replaced the bearings in my original wheels and put them both back on the Wing and noise returned. So I am pretty sure my Hum is the feathering. I keep 40F and 45R psi and since the tire patch all I have lost is 2 psi every couple of months. So I think I will continue to ride it till it needs replacing from wear (or damage).

·
Premium Member
23,795 Posts
An update, on my tire repair. I have 18k on this tire repair now and still have over 4/32 tread on tire. It is feathering, so kind of hums in twisties a little. At first I thought it was the bearings. I had purchased a front and rear wheels off of Ebay total of $75 US dollars. Put new bearings in the front wheel. I also installed 2 new tires. So I replaced both front and back noise went away. Replaced the bearings in my original wheels and put them both back on the Wing and noise returned. So I am pretty sure my Hum is the feathering. I keep 40F and 45R psi and since the tire patch all I have lost is 2 psi every couple of months. So I think I will continue to ride it till it needs replacing from wear (or damage).
All that humming and buzzing noise is what drove me to the Darkside.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I had just replaced my tires in December for the second time and again drove over a nail in January on the rear tire. So patched the new tire. My question for any who read this is have you ever heard of OUTEX Puncture Defense Kit. I am seriously looking into it. I know several tire manufactures already have the same stuff in car tires.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Here is my opinion on the stuff...........
first I have never heard of that brand of after market stuff
But I do remember the car tires that had the stuff, seams like it was a Uniroyal that had it... called it Royal Seal
From my time working part time at a Goodyear store, the stuff works..... BUT you can not get or keep a good balance on the tires
and I bet beads wont work with the stuff either, centramatics should work though

1 - 19 of 19 Posts