Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The little lady and I are considering buying a new touring bike. We have ridden H-Ds for years and now want to increase our comfort. We rented a Goldwing GL1800 last weekend and had a small problem, my wife found the extreme reclining position to be very uncomfortable for her. Has anyone else had trouble with this? Is there an easy solution to help her sit more upright? Thanks for your help and suggestions!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think Wingstuff.com has a backrest to add comfort for the passenger. On my GL1500, I had a seat custom made by Russell All-day seats. For a few extra dollars they will design the passenger seat just for her. I don't have my GL1800 yet, so I don't know if we will need a custom seat or not - going to try stock for a while to see.

There are quite a few members of this forum who have had HDs. For comfort, the Goldwing is IT!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Bike solutions mod seems to be heading in the right direction. I would love to here from people that have actually tried this.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
I don't have an 1800 but several of my riding buddies do. At least two of them had the passenger back rest re-worked to give it a more up right position that bulge in the lower back just isn't comfortable for some women.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I'm pretty sure if I can't give her positive solution to the back problem I'll be sweltering on my Harley for ever!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update, I now have the new 'wing home and its time to go about making the little lady happy! I'm gonna try to make some offset brackets for the top hooks on the seatback that take some of the slant out. I'll then have to make a filler panel to cover the gap created from tilting it forward. I hope this works out, I'll keep ya posted!

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
And pics of the finnished result too;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Passenger Backrest Replacement Question

My wife wants an upgrade on her stock backrest to reduce the reclining position - Hartco and Wingsoft have passenger backrest options - Any comments, recommendations or suggestions on the two brands listed ?

·
Super Moderator
28,444 Posts
Hartco makes a great product although the seat on my 1500 didn't have the backrest from them it was just the cover over the stock backrest. The seat is of superior construction so I can imagine that the passenger backrest would be as well.

Good Luck on your quest.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
I don't remember if you are on a 1500 or an 1800.

On my 1500.... I would think any good upholstery shop should be able to remove the cover, and add some high density foam to the top of the back rest and re-staple the existing cover right back on. On my 1500 stock rear seat, there is plenty of vinyl left on the underside of the back rest.

Perhaps they might shave the lower side of the back rest off too, which might give her more real estate on the bottom side.

Another option might be a small vinyl pad or pillow added to the top part of the seat, perhaps with a little velcro in case she would like to remove it for that reclining position...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I bought her a backrest from Hartco, It arrived yesterday. Workmanship is very nice, I hope to test it out today or tomorrow, I'll keep ya posted on how it turns out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New update, I was able to change the angle of the backrest quite a bit. Unfortunately this reduced the room between the seatback and my Utopia backrest too much. Back to square one... Now we are trying a Hartco seatback, I'll let you know how she likes it as soon as we can get a ride in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts