Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed two kinds of armrest for the Wing. Some that swing out to the sides and some that raise up and down. Is one better than the other or are there saftey concerns with one type compared to the other? Thanks. I guess you could call me "winghopper" as opposed to "grasshopper":)

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
What kind of Wing do you fly? The only passenger arm rest I have seen swing out, I have never seen any that go up and down??

·
Registered
141 Posts
My passenger likes them, along with the cup holder. There is a downside, they have to be moved out of the way each time the trunk is opened--plus I don't care for the looks of them, so w/o a passenger, they stay in the garage.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Hi snuffcityrider aka winghopper, all my wings had the swing out type. My Mrs. likes having them. I believe by far these are the most common of the two types.

There is a downside, they have to be moved out of the way each time the trunk is opened
My trunk opens without swinging out the armrest.

·
Registered
76 Posts
We have the swing down type. The wife likes them and you get used to pushing them to the sides when opening the trunk. I set the tightness on the nuts a little tight so they don't fall. I also like them because my wife takes cat naps and I don't want her falling off. Good luck on you choice. She will like them. earthpig.......

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've noticed two kinds of armrest for the Wing. Some that swing out to the sides and some that raise up and down. Is one better than the other or are there saftey concerns with one type compared to the other? Thanks. I guess you could call me "winghopper" as opposed to "grasshopper":)
I have these and the bride loves them very comfy and user friendly and with the side bags they give you a few more pockets to play with! the arm rests dont need to move at all when lifting the trunk, the bags dont flap around in the breeze either which is good.

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/...pgroup_list/gl1800/229_goldwing_Armrests/des/

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like those, but I can't see any cup holder on them. Also wondering where they mount at.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
I like those, but I can't see any cup holder on them. Also wondering where they mount at.
These were being talked about elsewhere and the comments were optimistic. I haven't checked back to see if any rider actually had them. The mounting plate secures behind the passenger seat. I don't know what kind of material they are securing to back there, but except for one model I know of they all secure to some plastic portion of the Wing. I'll dig on the " elsewhere " place to see if there are any follow ups on these.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The picture posted by Chopin shows arm rests different than what I have, or have seen. Mine attach to the bike at the point where the antennas attach. Some new steel reinforcement goes behind the antenna mount and and into the trunk area to give strength. A moderate push down on the arm rest by the little lady puts lots of leverage stress on the mounting points located well behind her elbows. Each armrests does, have to swing out to open the trunk, then of course swing em back when the trunk is closed--just extra hassel when you are on the road and don't have lots of time.

·
Registered
466 Posts
When the wife decides to go with armrests, these are the only option I will show her. And it comes with a cupholder.
Chop, I just ordered these my self. And in a couple weeks I am ordering that exact same Ultimate seat you see in that picture.

I had the Kuryakyn arm rest until the bike was knocked over at the Lone Star Rally in Galveston a few months ago. The left arm was swung out and a buddies wife was digging for her gear in the trunk and she nudged the bike off the side stand!
The wing fell to the left and the left armrest hit the seat on the Ultra Classic that was parked next to it and snapped clean off where the hinge meets the mounting plate.

I absolutely hate those Kury arms! It is a PITA to have to swing them out of the way every time I need in the trunk and I had to keep adjusting the tension on them or they would swing out when riding solo down the highway!

By the way, I have half a set of Kury arm rest for sale if someone needs parts!

·
Super Moderator
14,422 Posts
Buzzy,
Let us know how these arm rests attach and if you like them. Installation pictures would be great if you can do that. My wife wants something but I have never liked the swing out type. What happened to you was on my mind along with thinking it a PITA to swing them out every time before getting into the trunk.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Buzzy,
Let us know how these arm rests attach and if you like them. Installation pictures would be great if you can do that. My wife wants something but I have never liked the swing out type. What happened to you was on my mind along with thinking it a PITA to swing them out every time before getting into the trunk.
I am pretty sure there is a bracket that mounts behind the passenger backrest and runs the length of it across. From what I have heard, they are surprisingly srong and riggid.
My only question is going to be how or if they pose a threat to wearing thru the side of the passenger backrest from sliding up and down.
Once I get them installed, I will post some pictures and give my thoughts on them.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I like the look of those better than the Kuryakin ones I have. I don't mind the swing out for opening the trunk, but I'm waiting for the day when herself leans too hard on them (even though I've instructed her not to) climbing on.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I like the look of those better than the Kuryakin ones I have. I don't mind the swing out for opening the trunk, but I'm waiting for the day when herself leans too hard on them (even though I've instructed her not to) climbing on.
I can tell you from personal experience, those Kury arms will take a lot of stress before they break.
I was always afraid they would break the trunk but I managed to snap that wide mounting plate smooth in half with no damage to the bike or mounting points.

But that is as far as I go as far as talking good about them. I had almost broke then a few times and it was always due to them being swung out. One time in particular, I pulled up in the driveway and let the wife off the bike and left again to a friends house.
As I was riding in between our cars in the driveway, I heard a WHACK and the bike jerked to the left.
The arm rest was swung out and smacked the headlight on my truck and put a nice scratch on the fender. If I would have been a little closer I am sure it would have ripped it off the bike and probably cause me to crash into the side of one of the vehicles.

Needless to say, I hate these things and although I now have holes in the rear pockets and truck from mounting them, I will not go back to them again. I retained the mounting hardware and those now fill the holes.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Well it sure is good to learn something, I have never seen or even heard of such arm rest. I will sure be glad to learn even more how these attach to the bike.
I am glad to see I share the same concerns that everyone else has. I could not see my better half getting on the bike and NOT using the swing out type for leverage and plastic is just not that strong.
I sure wish it would warm up and melt all this darn snow! :D

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Patience Ralphumour, it'll melt come about March!:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
14,422 Posts
Patience Ralphumour, it'll melt come about March!:rolleyes:
It'll melt sooner than that in Kentucky. March/April is timing for the Great White North. Not to dig it in or anything......It was sunny and 60 degrees here on Sunday. Too bad I was working. Anyone interested in a fixer-upper Honda?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
It'll melt sooner than that in Kentucky. March/April is timing for the Great White North. Not to dig it in or anything......It was sunny and 60 degrees here on Sunday. Too bad I was working. Anyone interested in a fixer-upper Honda?
Hey you might wanna contact pickers they pay good money for bikes!!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts