Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just returned from another local day in the saddle on Red Neckerson (96 GW) to "Get Ready To Get Ready" for a week of camping up toward the Missouri - Illinois southern border. Because I do travel 1k miles or more on many trips, I joke with a friend who is a serious hard core Iron Butt Rider that - I'm also an Iron Butt Rider - "I just ride with the Parking Brake On".

Every time I have things packed and ready to take off, the Texas Gulf weather turns bad along my planned route. Hopefully the Mark Twain and Shawnee National Forest will still be there after this next typhoon passes. :)
To air "Ole Red" out a bit this afternoon while traveling amongst some relatively heavy interstate traffic, I pulled in behind an 18 wheeler to get inside the pocket of calm air left by it's trailer. After a few minutes at about 20 feet back, my windshield suddenly blurred over with some kind of a gooy mud ? While looking over the top of the windshield, another big slug of something hit my face shield. When I then passed this 18 wheeler - the driver held a spittoon looking jar up to his window, chewed for a moment and then obviously spit into the jar. This guy had dumped his chewing tobacco sludge on me. Really nasty stuff when all over your fairing and helmet.

Yuck - Michael

·
Registered
224 Posts
I hope he wasn't pissing in that spittoon as well. Some of them drivers don't stop to relieve themselves.

Reactions: Luv2fish

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Just returned from another local day in the saddle on Red Neckerson (96 GW) to "Get Ready To Get Ready" for a week of camping up toward the Missouri - Illinois southern border. Because I do travel 1k miles or more on many trips, I joke with a friend who is a serious hard core Iron Butt Rider that - I'm also an Iron Butt Rider - "I just ride with the Parking Brake On".

Every time I have things packed and ready to take off, the Texas Gulf weather turns bad along my planned route. Hopefully the Mark Twain and Shawnee National Forest will still be there after this next typhoon passes. :)
To air "Ole Red" out a bit this afternoon while traveling amongst some relatively heavy interstate traffic, I pulled in behind an 18 wheeler to get inside the pocket of calm air left by it's trailer. After a few minutes at about 20 feet back, my windshield suddenly blurred over with some kind of a gooy mud ? While looking over the top of the windshield, another big slug of something hit my face shield. When I then passed this 18 wheeler - the driver held a spittoon looking jar up to his window, chewed for a moment and then obviously spit into the jar. This guy had dumped his chewing tobacco sludge on me. Really nasty stuff when all over your fairing and helmet.

Yuck - Michael
Yuck!!!!

·
Administrator
15,289 Posts
Eeuuwww.........

That tropical storm was a depression by the time it got to where you are headed. It did drop a lot of rain and that could very well affect campgrounds. So check ahead to be sure they will be open. I know that all our campgrounds on the Forest I work have not completely opened yet from the virus scare. Enjoy your ride and don't forget to show pictures to the rest of us poor working schlubs.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Mark - Thanks for the suggestion to check ahead on the status of the Mark Twain and Shawnee National Parks. They both are open, just a bit water logged yet in many of their campgrounds. A few years ago I'd taken Ol'e Beauford T Dudley (84 GW) on some of their dispersed camping ATV trails and crossed paths with a large batch of adult hogs. I usually prefer using some of the more remote camp sites but one night I had a hoglet eat most of one of my tie down straps left hanging off the bike. When I relayed what happened to the ranger at the Eleven Point area, he jokingly said there were trapping permits available if I was interested. I told him that when I travel solo cross country, my wife usually packs all my essential gear in preparation for any contingency, but this trip she forgot to include any hog traps. :)

Ride Safe - Michael

·
Administrator
15,289 Posts
Hogs are a growing menace in many places. Here in Mississippi they can be shot any time of year. You catch one of the piglets they would be a good roast, but then mama might come around in a bad mood.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
same here............ no season on hogs, no limit on hogs, still have to have a general license though....
General rule from any farmer or rancher around here that has hog problems is.......... can't just shoot one
same rule for mesquite trees....... can get all you want..... but for each one you cut down...... have to cut down a second one

Reactions: Luv2fish
1 - 7 of 7 Posts