Honda Goldwing Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,031 Posts
Darkside #1039 here. I never went back. I rode on a rental Wing last year and immediately noticed the agility factor go up. At first I thought I had a flat tire, but it was me used to the effortless stability of a car tire. I'm more comfortable with stability over agility now. Murgie, the keeper of the Darside roster, helped me install my first car tire and took me on the inauguration ride through the hills of West Virginia.
:SoBored::SoBored::SoBored:

:anyone_sign:

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
:SoBored:
:anyone_sign:

Ok, Ill bite.

In response to "Lee for now", it truly has nothing to do with stability, nor agility. It has to do with him being a cheap arse and getting the most MPT that he can squeeze out of it. :grin2:

AND, even if he hated the CT, he would praise it and ride on it just to be contrary to society. Some people just have to be recalcitrant. :LaughHard:

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
Y'all can have all the opinions you want, so long as they align with mine....:LaughHard:

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
Y'all can have all the opinions you want, so long as they align with mine....:LaughHard:
I don't have a darkside number either. :grin2:

·
Registered
485 Posts
Hi, I'm looking at my rear tire (Michelin P3 Aspen 195/55/16 run flat) and it's about time for a new one(25,000 miles). I have read that this tire is no longer being made. Is there anybody out there who HAD this tire, and now has a replacement, that's similar? I know there's a list of all the different darksiders' options out there somewhere, but I'd like one that closely mimics the characteristics of what I have. Most important for me is the run-flat option.

·
Premium Member
23,675 Posts
I'm currently riding the Bridgestone Drive Guard, coming off the Michelin PA3. The PA3 was an H rated tire, the Drive Guard is a " Performance " rated tire. The difference between the two, to me, is a Highway rated tire has more meat on the outside edges , which, in my opinion, leads to a longer life for those that like to corner a lot in the mountains. But either one will get you down the road in confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
You can put any kind of tire you want on your Wing, you can mount it sideways, backwards and upside down and it's still going to wear out and you're still going to have to replace it at some point. I'm sticking with the stockers, they're very good tires and handle well. I'll probably get around 12,000 miles on these tires which puts me replacing them once a year which I have no problem with.

·
Registered
485 Posts
You can put any kind of tire you want on your Wing, you can mount it sideways, backwards and upside down and it's still going to wear out and you're still going to have to replace it at some point. I'm sticking with the stockers, they're very good tires and handle well. I'll probably get around 12,000 miles on these tires which puts me replacing them once a year which I have no problem with.
I'm thinking mounting it sideways will have an adverse affect on 1) wear, and 2) ride.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
The dilemma:
A set of moto tires that last between 12 to 16k (some 18) and handle nimbly like a motto should.

Or, a set of CT that last over 20k and have run-flat safety but handle like not-as-nimble as the moto tires do.

I don't think there is anything wrong with either choice.

Personally, I would like to see a moto tire developed with the carcass of a CT but the shape of a moto tire; and that would be the compromise that creates the panacea of a touring tire on any tankish touring bike.

What I fail to justify/reason is the idea of aggressive riding on a touring bike, as many folks seem to enjoy on K16, Wings and other big-butt-bikes; as these bikes are not created for racing. There are bike specifically designed for the praxis of hauling arses.

Unfortunately, current tires for touring bikes are more of a copy-cat of racing tires than not--allowing for some insignificant traits/marketing for touring customers.

When, are the motorcycle tire manufacturers gonna design a tire with specific traits for touring long distance on a heavy touring motorcycle loaded with crap?...my guess is never.

·
Premium Member
23,675 Posts
I agree nando. It's a TOURING motorcycle. But ..... don't think because you run a car tire that you can't cut the curves and scrape foot pegs. A car tire does not limit your abilities. It may even enhance them . Once you get used to that sure footed feel of a car tire there are no holds barred.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
14,115 Posts
@nando, I'm not a cartire guy, but you have never tried to keep up with Golddragon in the curves with the car tire he has on his Goldwing. A car tire doesn't hinder the rider.

Now I've gotten good use and miles out of Dunlop Elite 3's with 20,000 miles on three different sets of tires. I've switched to Bridgestone and gotten okay miles (about 16,000) and maybe a touch better ride, but definitely not as noisy as the Dunlop.

The channel in the front of the tire has been no issue for me at all no matter the curves or rain.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
@nando, I'm not a cartire guy, but you have never tried to keep up with Golddragon in the curves with the car tire he has on his Goldwing. A car tire doesn't hinder the rider.

Now I've gotten good use and miles out of Dunlop Elite 3's with 20,000 miles on three different sets of tires. I've switched to Bridgestone and gotten okay miles (about 16,000) and maybe a touch better ride, but definitely not as noisy as the Dunlop.

The channel in the front of the tire has been no issue for me at all no matter the curves or rain.
Long ago, in a galaxy far away, when the dark force was strong and I had a CT on my Wing, Yellow Wolf ripped the Dragon on a CT. I am a believer. I am personally not a hot-rodder, but I seen hot-rodding with CT. As weird as it may sound to some, my experience is that CT have better all around grip on a Wing than the current bundle of motto tires.

What I did not like about the DS is the handling, particularly in slow moving traffic, cluttered parking lots etc. I commute during the school year. I didn't think it was overwhelming, it just bugged me, so I went back to motto tires.

I don't need to be convinced that DS works...I guess I am lazy and I liked the power steering so I am trying to compensate...basically, I don't know what I am doing.

This Summer I am gonna do a lot of riding, hopefully...I like that feeling of NOT having to look over your shoulder at tire wear, nor hussle around to schedule a tire change while on the road. So I may try DS again.

What I might do in the future is have a spare rim so I can run the power steering sheety stock tires while Ms. Wing is on commuting duties, and pop the o' CT back on in the Summer, when Ms. Wing goes touring-nuts on the freeways and byways of America. That probably be would the best of both world for me.

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
There's positives on both sides for sure. Nice you could ride with the "wolf" though:wink2:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
There's positives on both sides for sure. Nice you could ride with the "wolf" though:wink2:
budoka,
I never rode with Yellow Wolf. I am so slow, I can't hardly keep the trunk of my Wing from running over me. I just know Wolf did that.

When it comes to riding, I am not worthy to check the air in the Wolf's tires let alone ride with him.

I do recall: he was adamant anti-DS, a couple of us on the board talked into trying one and giving a report. I personally wanted to hear from a great rider how the CT hold up under his skillful abuse. It was his report that finally talked me into trying the dark.

Now this was long ago, so don't quote literally, but I have a recollection that he claimed to have tried to rip the CT off the rim and he could not. Wolf certainly did not convert to DS but he acknowledge the CT held up to his antics.

...for a minute there budoka, I was running with the image of me riding with Wolf, but as most illusion do, it PUFFed!

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
He did run a c/t for alt least a while, I remember his comments being more than positive. He left us little folk for that other place though...

·
Premium Member
733 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Agreed, there are pro's and con's on both sides when it comes to tires, for me, I think it is a matter of taste and riding styles.

This is a link to an interesting handbook on the construction of motorcycle tires: http://totalmotorcycle.com/photos/tire-tyre-guide/Tire-Information-Handbook.pdf
Great article Terry. Soon as I get more time I plan on reading it carefully.

I noted the 4 basic functions of a motorcycle tire listed in the article.
I would speculate that DS folks would argue that those 4 basic functions are performed better by a CT on a Wing than the current motto snicker.

I am just saying, they would argue that point.

Again, long ago, when I was not with the Rebel forces, some guy did a spot measurement of CT on a lean. In fact, he documented that there was actually more 'area' of contact during a turn with a CT than with a motto tire. He did it by measuring both tires' print on the road/leaning using some kind of chalk or paint on the tires...I can't remember specifically...

Please, I ain't like arguing for one camp nor the other. I am just noting the information posted.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Hey budoka,

Last I heard about the Wolf was that he had gotten rid of the Wing and was riding some sort of crotchrocket-like bike.

Where is that guy now? I would like to give a howdy-dooty. I always admired his craziness.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
A wore out MC rear tire on a Goldwing is about the same shape as a broke in CT on a Goldwing

41 - 60 of 67 Posts