Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.
i am new to this forum and have a big question. This applies to everyone on here. I have been riding sport touring bikes for years (Suzuki GS 750 with bags & box 38K = Honda PC 800 63K = Honda ST1300 32K in 3 years) which I am now on. I'm looking to upgrade in 1 year and I would like some input from someone who has come from a ST1300 to a Goldwing. I have read all the test reports I can get my hands on but I want some input from someone who has been there done that before i put down 23+K. I don't mean to sound like a #*&%^ but I would like to have the truth from someone who doesn't get paid to write reports. My wife and i like to travel on the bike and are looking to retire in a year. We average about 11 to 12K a year on the bike. We have visited 40 of the 50 states all on the bike.And i like the twisties. We are average size I am about 220 She is about 150. you may contact me with any info at [email protected]. Thanks in advance for your help and hope to see you all on GW in the next year. God bless

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
Good to have you on board Papa. I have not come from ST1300 so I will not comment but I'm sure we have guys who have. Just wanted to welcome you & good luck on your quest towards "Wingdom".

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF papa smurf, i went from a 1200aspy to a 1500se so no help either

·
Registered
691 Posts
Ha PS
Came from a vtx to a wing with no problems. The fairing not turning with the forks will seem odd but you will get used to it in short time. A Wing is more nimble than a VTX. When you get it, go to a big parking lot and play. Personally, I love the sing of a Wing.
You will never go back.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Welcome Papa, never had a 1300 went fom a CB1000 custom to my 1500 and it was a very smooth transition. Actualy I feel the Goldwing is easier to handle and manuvere than the 1000.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hello everyone.
i am new to this forum and have a big question. This applies to everyone on here. I have been riding sport touring bikes for years (Suzuki GS 750 with bags & box 38K = Honda PC 800 63K = Honda ST1300 32K in 3 years) which I am now on. I'm looking to upgrade in 1 year and I would like some input from someone who has come from a ST1300 to a Goldwing. I have read all the test reports I can get my hands on but I want some input from someone who has been there done that before i put down 23+K. I don't mean to sound like a #*&%^ but I would like to have the truth from someone who doesn't get paid to write reports. My wife and i like to travel on the bike and are looking to retire in a year. We average about 11 to 12K a year on the bike. We have visited 40 of the 50 states all on the bike.And i like the twisties. We are average size I am about 220 She is about 150. you may contact me with any info at [email protected]. Thanks in advance for your help and hope to see you all on GW in the next year. God bless
Welcome from Southern Calif
now as for the 1300 one of the first items you will notice is that the wing does not get as good a gas milage as the 1300 (which gets great gas milage) but that is one negative -- the pluses are it has much more luggage space--- handles just as good in the twisties as the the 1300 if not better-- has more roll on power fulley loaded---and most important of all is much more comfortable than the 1300 ( 1000 mile days are not hard at all on you or your wife) --its major service fees are a bit higher, butthat is to be expected with a larger bike---- if you ever want to tow a trailer, the wing is the only way to go . Reliability is the same-rock solid! now for the big one-- there are far more acessories for the wing you and your wife can make the wing anything you want --the choises are almost unlimited.
Good luck and I do hope you have fun picking out your new wing.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Hello everyone.
Well the wife and I were doing sport touring on the ZED (ZZR-1200). The Wing is not even in the same catagory as far as acceleration and canyon carving. I know this for a fact because my step son cannot outride me when I'm on the Zed and he's on his Busa. Yet you put him on the Zed and me on the Wing, he can pull away on acceleration only.
But don't be dicouraged. The Wing is the King of 2-wheel travel. My wife, ever since we got the Wing asks if we can take it when we go places. The comfort over distance is amazing. The ability to listen to your favorite music and hold a conversation at the same time is something. (Buy her a set of Transformer Floorboards) I could go on and on, but to sum it up..Your wife becomes more then just a pillon hanging on when you two are on the Wing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a friend that made the trip your talking about, and I never heard a harsh word about either bike. A wing will make and excelent upgrade, MaMa will like it.
Ken

·
Registered
263 Posts
Welcome from Florida Papa Smurf. Since you just got on here all you need to do is start checking out every thread on here with anyone looking to get a Wing,and you probably won't wait the year. Hope to someday travel at least half as much as you have on a bike. I know i'll be on a Wing when i do it. Ride often and Safe. Ken.'94SE Pearl White

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sorry I can't help you with this one. The cloest I could come to an opinion is I owned an ST1100 for a few weeks just to resell and rode it back and forth to work for about a week. It was a pretty nice mount but certainly no wing. I love the looks of the ST1300 so I feel your delima. If for no other reason Your wife is going to be so much more confortable. I think on the wings they really cater to the passenger maybe even more than the pilot.
If you are wondering how well they handle here is a video of a guy who rides behind sportbike riders up at Deals Gap (NC and TN) and shoots videos of them on the Gap. Ive ridden this stretch and can tell you first hand that the Video doesnt do the actual road justice. It just one challanging turn after another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts