Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the problems with changing bikes, from a sit up 'bar hopper' classic like the Bonneville to the Ultimate touring bike is the riding gear doesn't transition well. On the Bonnie I wore Jeans, leather boots and a Leather Balham jacket. These won't do in my quest for miles and ride through the various weather I'll encounter. At this point I have a Firstgear Kilimanjaro being shipped for me and a Tourmaster Transition for my wife.
However, I could use some ideas about pants. I have Scorpion Overpants now, and honestly I really don't like em. They're bulky and just aren't comfortable. So, what are some of you wearing? I'd like CE protection, comfort, and the ability to be versatile as far as rain, heat, cold, etc.
Should I be looking at Mesh type pants, with a set of rain gear and an insulating layer (long underwear) underneath?
Is there a set of non-overpant motorcycle pants that you might rx?

M

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
My choice is the AD-1 from aerostich.com

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
I just try to wear jeans that have plenty of room in the butt area that way I have more contact patch with the seat.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Might try some of the kevelar reinforced riding jeans or khakis. My favorites though are first gear mesh pants with side zipper legs. Zipper can be opened to let in more air. Used them on an IB in 100 degree weather. Also have ridden in the 40s with the liner and long underwear. Speaking of underwear, i like LD to avoid chafing and monkey butt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check out the Tour Master Venture mesh pants. They come with a wind/rain liner, and an insulated liner. I got mine from MotorcycleGear.com (used to be called New Enough); excellent customer service.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
For short rides, I'm in jeans. For long-distance, I go with Olympia Airglide 3 mesh pants. If it's warm and dry, I just use the outer shell. If it's on the cool and/or wet side, the pants have a water-proof removable inner liner. The outer pants have venting mesh as well as side zippers. I like 'em.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I have Joe Rocket Nirvana riding pants. CE protectors, zipper vents, jacket zip and a removeable rain liner. Very serviceable, look alot like the Firstgear ones dedrbuzzard showed.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
for short rides i wear sweat pants , on long rides i wear jean and have my rain suite handy in case it rains

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Pants?

I wear "packable" pants that unzip just above the knees. I can wash them in the motel room, and they will be dry by morning. When I get where I'm going for the night, I unzip them and have a cool pair of shorts. Do they offer crash protection, nope. But Jeans burn through in 5 feet on asphalt, so I just take my chances. I also wear shirts in similar material, again, to wash and dry overnight. Took a three week ride to Washington State, and only took two pair of pants, two shirts, three pair of polyester sock liners, and three pair of ExOfficio underwear. Everything was packed into less than one saddlebag, and it all was basically wash and wear. I wear my backpacking boots on the road and carry sandels for camp. Harley Rain suit, Kathmandu jacket, and Shoei helmet with headset.
Just how I roll.....:)

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
I wear jeans when I ride and when it gets cold I have lined chaps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts