Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing this post from my good friend Crownfire.
"Welcome from Mississippi. Ref may have gone from a Wing to an ST, but last weekend he was whining about his rear hurting from the miles we traveled.

Mature, hmmmm, I think you are hinting older or you haven't followed some of us yet."

I decided to respond in a new thread.

First off, My Butt never hurt. I have a Russell Day Long seat and still love it. However, my neck and shoulders were screaming the entire trip.
We have talked about this some years ago when I owned the WING and the responses were:
1. Grip too tight. Maybe a lack of cruise was part of the problem.
2. Helmet too heavy. Okay, when I replace, I will look for a lighter helmet

What I have found since being home was my shoulder pads in my jacket were possibly pushing down on a nerve in my shoulder. I have removed those and have not had the pain. I will put in a longer ride Sunday and see if the shoulder pad removal is the way to go.
I have read several threads on several forums about neck and shoulder pain and no one has mentioned the shoulder pads.

Now the question: Has anyone tried this shoulder pad removal to help with this pain?

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
You might want to consider those Heli risers for your ST. Lots of owners have them and like them. Is the pain you feel in the upper trapezus area (between shoulder and base of neck)? If it's a burning sensation then I'd say it's a nerve thing. Possibly from the riding position pressure.
Taking out the pads might give you a bit more room to move and keep the pressure from irritating as much. Won't do a darn thing good in a get off though.:surprise:

·
Registered
852 Posts
I feel your pain. Every pain you feel start from a certain point . Do a little internet research and see what parts you are putting pressure on . Your shoulder pain is starting someplace but not necessarily in your shoulder. It took me year to figure out my head pain was c2 c3 neck problems.

Brian

·
Premium Member
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might want to consider those Heli risers for your ST. Lots of owners have them and like them. Is the pain you feel in the upper trapezus area (between shoulder and base of neck)? If it's a burning sensation then I'd say it's a nerve thing. Possibly from the riding position pressure.
Taking out the pads might give you a bit more room to move and keep the pressure from irritating as much. Won't do a darn thing good in a get off though.:surprise:
I have the Heli riser, which helps. I may have to consider Ape Hangers.
I think I will have to consider a protective jacket that doesn't put pressure on my shoulder.

I feel your pain. Every pain you feel start from a certain point . Do a little internet research and see what parts you are putting pressure on . Your shoulder pain is starting someplace but not necessarily in your shoulder. It took me year to figure out my head pain was c2 c3 neck problems.

Brian
I had had issues with my neck years back and traced the problem to nerve in the shoulder blade. It starts on the blade and runs in to the neck.

Possible Solution... Drink more peach? :wink2:
This is possibly the best answer I have heard. Thanks

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I was reading the ST owner manual and it says that if you experience a neck or back problems you should immediately sell your ST and move to Goldwing to avoid future problems. Sounds about right. But first of all it's a car tire.. remove it at once and see if your neck problems will go away. Its not me talking - its the manual. really. Oh, and another thing to avoid neck problems is to move to state of Texas. I don't know anyone in Texas with the neck issues.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,090 Posts
no peach while standing on the pegs or no standing on the pegs after peaching :)

it could just be the weight of your jacket

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
no peach while standing on the pegs or no standing on the pegs after peaching :)

it could just be the weight of your jacket
Peach Peach Peach

Standing on your pegs.

Peach Peach Peach.

Standing on your legs.

Peach Peach preach.

Stranding on yu cags.

Preach preach leach.

Random your begs.

Wait

What was we talking about.

·
Premium Member
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was reading the ST owner manual and it says that if you experience a neck or back problems you should immediately sell your ST and move to Goldwing to avoid future problems. Sounds about right. But first of all it's a car tire.. remove it at once and see if your neck problems will go away. Its not me talking - its the manual. really. Oh, and another thing to avoid neck problems is to move to state of Texas. I don't know anyone in Texas with the neck issues.
He's on a motorcycle tire now Ralph.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Come to think of it....I didn't have the neck pain with a car tire:hmmm:

·
Premium Member
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
371 Posts
Phil that is why i ware that half helmet . It is DOT , If i wore my full face helmet 872 miles i would have died . I know the safety of the full face helmet and gear . And i know S - - t happens but i kinda trust Frankies riding ability . Just my 2 cents , Thats why i wear one , not suggesting you or any one else does .

·
Premium Member
5,357 Posts
Hey Phil, Try removing the shoulder pads from your jacket. Maybe that will help with the shoulder and neck pain that your experiencing.

·
Premium Member
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Phil that is why i ware that half helmet . It is DOT , If i wore my full face helmet 872 miles i would have died . I know the safety of the full face helmet and gear . And i know S - - t happens but i kinda trust Frankies riding ability . Just my 2 cents , Thats why i wear one , not suggesting you or any one else does .
You Frankie look good in a half helmet. My fashion sense says I may not can pull it off.
I would look like a stick with turtle shell stuck on it.

Hey Phil, Try removing the shoulder pads from your jacket. Maybe that will help with the shoulder and neck pain that your experiencing.
Damn Tom!!!!.....That's brilliant!!! Why didn't I just ask you? :brick:

·
Super Moderator
14,108 Posts
Sorry, I didn't know your discomfort was shoulder and neck. But still a Gold Wing can help with that too.

But seriously, on mine after I added the aftermarket seat I was getting shoulder pain too. It was from reaching to far and risers stopped that by bringing the bars up and back. If you have that can it be adjusted a little higher or back more? That may eliminate the pinch you get from the pads and you can put them back in.

·
Super Moderator
28,027 Posts
I personally think it's all in your mind.

Pain you will not have young Jedi ~ Master Yoda

·
Premium Member
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I personally think it's all in your mind.

Pain you will not have young Jedi ~ Master Yoda
You are suggesting, I have such a mind.:nerd:

·
Registered
9,639 Posts

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
Just like the light saber..."a delicate grip you shall have".

1 - 20 of 30 Posts