Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get sore neck muscules during rides after the first hour and it gets worse as time goes on till I stop. I flap my wings/elbows to ensure that my arms are not tense but it still happens.

Any type of stretching or excercising that will lengthen my neck/ trapezius endurance ? I'm also 49, so is age a factor? I sit straight and had the same issue on my previous bike a Kawasaki Vuclan 500.

I have a non-adjustable stock seat on my 1500 with no backrest (backrest to be added in the next week) . What can I do or work on? Both during the ride and before?

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
flw, There are some exercizes you can do to strengthen muscles, just do a google search & they will come up. However I can tell you that's probably not your problem. The backrest will definetly help alot however you are most likely (are you ready for this) gripping the bars too hard.

I know that may sound a shade off the wall but believe me it is an issue. When I 1st got my Wing I had similar pains. After consult with my experienced Wing Riding brother I found it to be true. Just relax on the bike don't try to bull the beast around & I'm sure you will see the same. My wife & I just recently completed over 9k mile trip across the country & back & the only time that I had any pain was when we were in bumper to bumper 5 mph 2 hr backup in Chicago. I knew at the time I was going to hurt because I was doing exactly what I just told you "bulling the beast". Of course it was out of necessity & self preservation.

Try it I'm sure it will work. Actually now while rolling just lay my hands on the grips & countersteer by pushing on the bars, don't even grip hardly at all.

Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
FLW, my buddy Fossil is right on this one. I find the same thing when I'm tense. Another thing you might want to check is the weight of your helmet, if you wear one. Some of the older one's can tend to be on the heavy side. New ones are much lighter. JMHO.. Or, as the old Doc would say,,, "Relax, take 2 asprin and call me in the morning"....LOL...

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I agree FLW. You might also find that over time, the pain will get less as you become more accustomed to the bike. I had a bit of a searing in my trapezus muscles the first couple rides last year (more the right side than the left) but quickly got used to it. I was too used to the forward position of my ST and the layed back style of the Vulcan before it. I can ride all day without issue now.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
I have found that the speed that you ride at has a bearing on your neck if you do not have full wind protection.Also the riding position because a sports bike has you leaning into the wind and the wind then hits the top of your head, unlike a cruser style where you sit up and take it.Summer time I like a naked bike and in winter with a flairing.Here is my question,how do you guys cover the big distances that you do.I find 400 miles a day enough.600 mile days nearly kills me,it takes me 3 days to get over 2 days of covering 600miles a day.For me thats about 13 hours of riding a day.I do not think it is age related or am I dreaming.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
If you're riding a naked bike, you are totally exposed to the wind blast and it is very tiring., I had Lowers and a standard windscreen on my Vulcan and could ride 14 hour days thanks to the forward controls, ape hangers and Corbin seat. The ST was ok for about 8 hours (but I could cover some mean distances in 8 hours on that thing if the Leo's didn't get me). My GL I can go all day without complaint (10-12 hours), not even the seat bothers me for that length of time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts