Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have information or opinions on the effects of oxygenated or blended (ethenol) fuels on carburated bikes? The wing (2000SE) has turned 117,000mi and has some hesitation when starting from a stop, especially when colder, it improves once the bike is good and warm but still exists somewhat. At last plug change, I showed my mechanic the old plugs, he told me he wouldn't have changed them. I run a can of Seafoam through the tank about every 3 months and routinely get 36-40 mpg depending on riding conditions, including riding 2 up or pulling the trailer. I've had the bike for 3 years and other than the hesitation I think the bike runs great. It was recently suggested that I should use an enzyme treatment called STAR TRON http://mystarbrite.com/startron/
to counter the effects of blended fuels found here in the metro area and/or maybe have the carbs gone through, which has never been done since I've had the bike. I'm trying the treatment to see if anything improves, cheaper than carb service.

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
Your Goldwing is designed to run on 87 octane with no more than 10% ethanol. With 117k miles on the od maybe its time for some carb work. Could be some varnish build up or some worn parts in there. JMHO because I'm not a wrench guy. I'm not much for "additives" unless I've personal experience with them, especially if they are marketed as a "cure all". Good luck.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
IMHO
I don't use any additives - never have!
I do buy my 87 octane gas from the "major" stations and avoid the ethanol, if possible.
Suggestions for your hesitation
1. Probably is time for some carb work
2. When was the last time for air/fuel filter change?
3. Check all the "hoses" for weathering.
Please let us know if you pursue the hesitation and what the cure is.
Will be good info for others

·
Registered
43 Posts
You guys may want to re-think additives. I have lots of gas powered toys. Ethanol is a killer! Todays fuels can begin "phase separation" within a few weeks. That means that water will separate out, as will ethanol, etc. So, what you have is a "pocket", if you will, of water, or ethanol, that is no longer mixed in solution. Riding along, if this pocket begins to flow to the engine, you may pick up a carb bowl full of raw ethanol. Not good! Sleds and boats were buring up right and left a few years ago for this very reason.

I was never a believer in fuel additives, but I am now! The mentioned product by Star Brite is good, as is Stor-X, and a product available at NAPA stores called E-Teck, ET100. ET100 is supposed to eliminate phase separation 3 X longer than any other brand. I own some NAPA stores so I might be a bit biased, but you will find my information to be spot-on.

ANY toy that isn't driven daily should be treated with some kind of phase separation product.

Randy

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Very true partzguy, ethanol is the puke of the gasoline world. It's terrible in machines of any description that sit for periods of time, and it kills two-stroke engines (snowmobiles) if things aren't letter perfect. I avoid ethanol fuels like the plague, especially up here in our northern climate since they are prone to icing issues in the winter months.

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
Sentry,Startron and Stabil Marine grade additives are what most people I know use for their bikes and power garden equipment. See if you have a gas station that sells regular gas and buy it if you can. www.pure-gas.org and www.buyrealgas.com

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll buy "gasoline" any chance I get! Can't understand the blend thing anyway, why pay a few cents less for a gallon but have to fill up more often because I loose mpg on blend fuel. Unfortunately I live in a "metro" area and a state that presses the blends. I'm on my second tank of fuel using the additive and I don't want to jump to conclusions. The one fact I can relate at this point is after a weekend 150mi ride on freeway, backroad and stop and go city traffic, my calculated milage was 41.8 mpg. Can't remember that high of milage without a tailwind. Will keep you posted after the bottle is empty.

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
If anyone can get real gas and you happen to be within an area where there is a gas station selling it, by all means get it for your garden equipment as well as your bike and other vehicles. Homeowners have been spending money at small engine shops to have their equipments serviced because of the blended gas. Maybe we all need to start sending copies of the repair bills to the enthanol industry yahoos and let them know what this 'Wonder Fuel' is doing to our engines.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts