Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all. I'm a new owner of an old 1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate, and I've got my first major mechanical problem. About three or four weeks ago, it began running hotter than normal. Normally, the heat gauge indicator would rest at halfway once it was fully "warmed up". Now, after about 15-20 minutes of driving, it would go far to the right--almost into the red. When this first started happening, it was 90+ degrees out up here in good old Minneapolis, so I shrugged it off to hot weather, but when it continued once the temperature dropped into the 60s, I became concerned.

In addition, my battery died last week. Since the battery was a few years old, I just chalked it up to old age and dropped $60 on a new one. Last night, the NEW battery died. UGH!

Any of you have any idea what's going on here? My best guess is that the alternator is dead, and thus killing the battery. And while the battery is shrivelling, it can't power the fan to cool the engine. Does that sound plausible? Any other guesses?

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF slee zz, have you checked the coolant level

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Welcome slee zz, after checking the simple stuff like the good doc said (coolant level, bugs in the radiator) check your charging system if that checks out confirm that your cooling fans are indeed coming on. We'll see what the other guys have to say as well.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Being as it's a 1200, I wonder about the stator...2 dead batteries, heat, hmmm.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Do check stator, fans etc. but I bet it's something more than that.

Is the coolant level dropping? Hopefully not. If so and you see no leaks, check the oil. Is there water in it? If so, this would mean a blown head gasket, crack in a cylinder head or block etc.

I would replace the thermostat first. They are cheap, but I have no clue how hard they are to replace on a 1200? If it is not opening, or not opening all the way the engine will overheat. Also if it is stuck open, the water does not get resident time in the radiator to cool down so eventually the entire cooling system gets too hot. If it is stuck open - you can usually ride for a while, but if you idle for too long with no air going through the radiator the engine will overheat. A working thermostat opens and closes while you ride to modulate the coolant temperature. You can check the t'stat by dropping it in a pot of boiling water - see if it opens. BUT, in my experience, if you take it out, put a new one in, even if the old one tests good.

Another possibility is the water pump is shot.

Good luck, I am sure you will figure it out.
Rob

·
Registered
7 Posts
As far as the battery problem, that is easy to chek. Using a volt meter check batterry voltage before starting should be just over 12v. Start the bike and check voltage withit running should be 14+v.As far as the overheating just follow what was already suggested.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
also check the radiator cap, if the gasket in the cap is bad or the cap is not holding pressure then coolant will evaporate

1 - 9 of 9 Posts