Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went back out to shop. Checked fluid levels. Radiator was full, Res. down 1/2 way. Started bike..let idle...started steaming out of top of rad. Got a flash light..looked close...steam coming from just below of top tank...pretty good rate. Thought "maybe" it was sloshed out fluid at first, but don't think so after running it for a few minutes. When I first got bike I could detect a small antifreeze odor. Bike had sat for sometime, so kept an eye on it. Never saw it drip or blow back onto bike. Could maybe rad. have had a pin hole leak, and me putting in new low silica fluid caused it to fail even more? Fluid I took out did not look any different than Green Prestone. I know molecules could be different. Does that make any sense? I may have to presure test rad. to find out. Any other ideas?

·
Super Moderator
11,818 Posts
If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :p

Seriously:
It doesn't make sense that different coolant would cause it to leak. Are all the upper hose connections tight and the hose good?

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
If I'm not mistake the wing calls for Silica free coolant, not sure how much Low Silica has in it. I got a 1500 in my shop now that the guy put low Silica coolant in, Water pump went south on him. Not sure that's the cause but when the new one gets here we are Silica Free Coolant in.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have no experience with Goldwings, but I was and auto mechanic for 24 years. Everytime there was an over heating problem after a coolent change, it was because there was an air pocket in the cooling system. Most times they are in one of the higher points in the system. It can be as simple and burping a hose.

Cruisin

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Likely a bubble. Use only antifreeze formulated for aluminum engine blocks.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Walmart sells it cheaper than mother honda

1 - 6 of 6 Posts