1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Goldwing F6B 45th Ed
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I come from VTX1800 world.
Switched to F6B... awesome bike...

What is OD... is it supposed to be used as 5th gear... or... is it highway only?
If over 90kms.... should I stick to 4th or switch to OD/5th?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Welcome aboard. Opinions vary. Personally, to me 5th is just another gear. Honda recommends shifting up at very low speeds. This is from the 2003 manual, but I believe they're all the same:

Personally, I can't see getting into 5th that early, but I do at around 75kmh.

What part of Canada are you from?

Reactions: dsurley and NREMTP

·
Registered
2015 Goldwing F6B 45th Ed
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome aboard. Opinions vary. Personally, to me 5th is just another gear. Honda recommends shifting up at very low speeds. This is from the 2003 manual, but I believe they're all the same:

View attachment 274176

Personally, I can't see getting into 5th that early, but I do at around 75kmh.

What part of Canada are you from?
Thanks for quick response.
Toronto

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 98 1500 likes to hit 5th at about 50mph. or about when the tach reaches 2750 rpm in 4th. Honda recommends shifting early for gas economy or emissions . Something like that, but the bike doesn't agree. The only gear I get right out of quickly is 1st. Basically, as soon as it is rolling along I go for 2nd. After that she likes to change @ 2750 rpm.

·
Super Moderator
11,885 Posts
BAH! I don't shift until the tach hits 5,000! If you're not lifting the front of the bike when shifting, you're doing it wrong!

🤣 🤣

·
Registered
599 Posts
My bike likes 5th at about 60 or 65 mph and then only if I am gonna stay at that speed or above for awhile.

Reactions: Fla wing

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Mine will cruise around in 5th at 35 mph all day. It feels good there. I kinda feel it could use another gear on the highway. She feels wound out. My 1100 shadow doesn't like low rpms at all.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine will cruise around in 5th at 35 mph all day. It feels good there. I kinda feel it could use another gear on the highway. She feels wound out. My 1100 shadow doesn't like low rpms at all.
Check out this final drive.....
henrysfinaldrive.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
I come from VTX1800 world.
Switched to F6B... awesome bike...

What is OD... is it supposed to be used as 5th gear... or... is it highway only?
If over 90kms.... should I stick to 4th or switch to OD/5th?
Thanks
The 1800 will handle intown corners in 4th with it's torque, it will also run well at 5000 rpm. It doesn't really start to pull untill 2500, anything lower and you are just "off idle". Cruise in OD @ 2700 rpm results in best economy, I get 43.4mpg there. It is also very happy cruising at 75 mph, truth is, the massive torque a nd smooth power, makes the need to shift very unnecessary. It also makes it a pleasure to ride whether you are intown, or wanting to ride it like a sport bike. I try to limit 1 & 2 gears, get into 3rd asap, from there you can cover almost any riding situation in style.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts