Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
15,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I led our GWRRA chapter down through the Homochitto National Forest toward Natchez. Six bikes (three red!) and seven people met up in Florence and headed south on MS 469 to MS 28. Here we headed east to Union Church and south on the Union Church Road which somewhere along the way changes names to Hospital Road and goes into Meadville. A quick ride through downtown takes us to a gas station at US 98 for a break. We all get a hot chocolate as the weatherman once again misleads us as to the weather for the day. On Wednesday he promised sunny skies and 80 degrees. Yesterday he said partly sunny and 75. Today it was cloudy and 64 degrees for the high. Still in all it is a good day.

Afterwards we went a very short distance on US 98 and then south on the Bunkley Road to MS 33. I saw Bunkley on my GPS but didn’t see anything there, another small town that really isn’t there anymore. We headed south to MS 563 and west to the Buffalo Road for a shortcut across to US 61. There we headed north for a great meal at Roux 61. If you are ever near Natchez, be sure to stop here. It is 3 miles south of Natchez on the highway and the meals are great.

That was all I planned and leaving us far from home we all decided to head north on 61 and split up as needed. We lost one at Port Gibson who headed east on MS 18 toward south Jackson. At Vicksburg we lost two more, who went east on I-20 to Jackson. Three of us kept on 61 to MS 3 to Satartia, two turning on MS 433 while one stayed on 3 to Yazoo City. The last one left off on MS 463 to Madison while I kept on past the Nissan plant and home.

In the beginning I promised everyone some good roads with nice sweepers and a really good place to eat. Most of this road I had never been on before and was hoping the road conditions would be good. They all agreed that I succeeded. We had a good day and I put just over 300 miles on the bike covering a nice loop.

Pictures! Well a few to prove it happened.
First; leading the pack over the river and through the woods.
Second; lots of country roads around SW Mississippi.
Third; downtown Meadville, Mississippi.
Fourth; Franklin County Courthouse, Meadville, Mississippi.
Fifth; our group; Tommy, Bob, Tom, Larry, Jerry, and Sandra

Attachments

·
Administrator
28,997 Posts
Nice job Crownfire. Sounds & looks like a great day.

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
A little too much evidence there Mark.:eek: Who was taking the photos on the move?:D Thankyou for the report and photos. Eric

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
Sounds like you had a good day Mark. Thanks for the report and pics.

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
Didn't lose anyone, everyone got home safe and everyone had a good time. The perfect makings of a good ride. Good job Mark...

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Very nice ride Mark....thanks for sharing with us!

Mark

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Good ride Buddy.....Thanks for posting the pics.

·
Premium Member
24,118 Posts
The South Shall Ride Again and by the looks of the pictures a lot later into the season than us up here. I wish you Mississippi Moonshine Runners a long fall season.

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
Sounds like the ideal ride. I made a note of the restaurant near Natchez as the wife and I will be in that area around Nov. 08 or so. We will be coming out of Baton Rouge on US 61 to ride the "Great River Road" up to as far as Rosedale, MS, before we turn E and home. I saw on the map that LA also has a Great River Road; do you know which is the more scenic? I can do either since our farthest point out is Port Arthur, TX

·
Administrator
15,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like the ideal ride. I made a note of the restaurant near Natchez as the wife and I will be in that area around Nov. 08 or so. We will be coming out of Baton Rouge on US 61 to ride the "Great River Road" up to as far as Rosedale, MS, before we turn E and home. I saw on the map that LA also has a Great River Road; do you know which is the more scenic? I can do either since our farthest point out is Port Arthur, TX
US 61 is a nice highway. The Louisiana side has US 65. Although staying close to the river on the west side from just north of Baton Rouge is nice. That route is off 61 take LA 10 across the river at New Roads to LA 1. Don't miss the turn at LA 15 or you will end up in Alexandria. LA 15 is along the levee and goes all the way up to LA 131 to Vadalia and cross the river back east to Natchez. Staying on the Mississippi side goes through Port Gibson ("Too beautiful to burn" US Grant, 1863) and to Vicksburg. At Vicksburg there is a way to stay on the streets through town, but staying on 61 will take you onto I-20 and a left exit onto 61 north. About 25 miles north of that exit, MS 1 is on your left. Definetely take it, scenic ride, although very flat, and sweeping curves. The river will be very close on your left. I have not been to Rosedale yet but keep meaning to.

G

·
Crownfire Sir. Nice trip and nice pics. Me to many brewskys now but some summer day I’m going to write a Crownfire thread from my childhood. All true . Let me ride my bike now……..

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts
:confused:

Anyway, thanks Mark for your pics and commentary as always. I'm a fan of the old Southern courthouses, too. I miss the historic sites of the South in general.

Glad you're enjoying some R&R after that grueling work in Idaho.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Looks like everyone has a big smile indicating the good time had. Nice pic's

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
Mark I love your pics glad it was a great day.

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Sounds like a great ride, Mark. Enjoyed the pictures and the commentary.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts