Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
left for stugis the first 140 miles the bike ran great we stopped to take a break and top of the tank then about 50 miles down the road it over heated pegged the gauge.i called acouple of dealers and talked to the service tecs and tried this removed thermostat still over heated radiator cap seems fine pulled cover off water pump it works with no play in it .the tecs said it could be a head gasket checked oil no sign of water.while i was waiting for a trailer to haul the bike back i refilled the radiator and started the bike and let it sit and run at 1400 rpm for 10 min and didnt get hot but by then ididnt want to trust it to finish the 2200 mike trip we had planned.any thoughts would be great. the bike is a 1985 asp with 47000 miles on it. timing belts were replaced at 44000 mile and carbs sync. we were riding 2 up pulling a small trailer.

p.s. we were able to at least get to sturgis and the blackhills thanks to my brother who hauled out a pickup for us to drive and hauled the bike back.

·
Administrator
26,225 Posts
It's possible you had an air pocket in the system, that will cause an overheat situation. Consult a m/c tech to be sure though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had the same problem last week. It seems I was checking the antifreeze level by looking at the overflow tank. It was in the normal range but when I removed the radiator cap, it was low. Filled it and everything is fine. Good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
found the problem. had a radiator shop look at the radiator and they said it was half plugged up.they took it apart cleaned it out and seems to cool ok.the test will be to hook up the trailer to the bike put some weight in it and go run it.

·
Super Moderator
9,870 Posts
found the problem. had a radiator shop look at the radiator and they said it was half plugged up.they took it apart cleaned it out and seems to cool ok.the test will be to hook up the trailer to the bike put some weight in it and go run it.
Glad you found a solution. Many times we forget don't take care of the coolant systems as we should. Take it out for a spin and ride safe.... (and cool)..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts