Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( Just returned from a 2000 mile trip to the Smokies. Wonderful trip except for my 2002 goldwing overheating in slow traffic. I just bought the bike and this is the first time I had any problems with it overheating. But I live in the country and never have ridden in slow traffic before know. Any ideas on what is causing this problem and how to fix?

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
did the fans come on, are the radiators full of antifreeze

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
:( Just returned from a 2000 mile trip to the Smokies. Wonderful trip except for my 2002 goldwing overheating in slow traffic. I just bought the bike and this is the first time I had any problems with it overheating. But I live in the country and never have ridden in slow traffic before know. Any ideas on what is causing this problem and how to fix?
How many miles are on your wing? I have an 02 myself....47K miles. Not having overheating problems ......yet:eek:

·
Registered
280 Posts
When you say overheat, do you mean that it pegged the needle all the way to the right? On my GL1500, the manual says it's not overheating until it hits the red area on the right. Usually, my needle stays in the middle but on some rides, it's crept past that, but never into the red.

·
Registered
741 Posts
The 2002's had an overheating problem. The issue was with the programing in the ECU and the fans not turning on at certain speeds and gears. Honda used to change out the ECU but I think Honda is not doing this anymore. My brother-in-law has an 02 and the same problem. He just speeds up when it starts to overheat but I realize this is a problem when stuck in traffic. There are plenty of threads on home fixes (I.E. thermostat switches for the fan, etc.). As stated earlier, also make sure that your frame recall has been taken care of. Otherwise, a small bump in the road for your Wing.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
I believe the issue was that the fans would not kick on after a certain speed (not sure what it was) and if you were moving in slow traffic the air flow was not enough to cool the engine and the speed was too high for the fans to kick on. If you pulled over I bet the fans would have kicked in and cooled the bike down...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the feedback. The outside air temp was 93 and we were in stop and go traffic for 45 minutes, never more then 2nd gear, it pegged the red. This is the only time I have ever had this issue I later checked the fans and they were both working and the fluid level looked good. I did have a stainless belly pan on, which I removed and this helped during the week when we were in slow traffic again, but did not correct the problem. It just took a little longer to heat up. I will check with the previous owner to see if he had the recalls done. Other than this little hickup it was a great ride through the montains.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
You can check the VIN sticker to see if the frame recall has been done. There will be a punch mark on the right hand side of the sticker past the VIN# if it's been fixed. Not sure if Honda is still covering the heating issue or not.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The 2002's had an overheating problem. The issue was with the programing in the ECU and the fans not turning on at certain speeds and gears. Honda used to change out the ECU but I think Honda is not doing this anymore. My brother-in-law has an 02 and the same problem. He just speeds up when it starts to overheat but I realize this is a problem when stuck in traffic. There are plenty of threads on home fixes (I.E. thermostat switches for the fan, etc.). As stated earlier, also make sure that your frame recall has been taken care of. Otherwise, a small bump in the road for your Wing.
There is a dealer close to me that bought several of the replacement ECU that corrects this problem. If you want the number let me know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i had the same issue with my 2004 wing,had the bike checked out by an excellent mechanic and he could not find any reason for it,fluids were fine,water pump,thermostat,etc were fine. i read where in some cases you can have a vapor lock in your system and the resavoir is full but the water cant be pulled into the radiator.i took the radiator cap off and "burped" the system and i haven"t had my bike to register anything but perfect since.while you have the cap off the radiator you can see if the water is circulating properly.good luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts