Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some feedback on this issue: I'm shopping for a new Wing. The dealers in my local area are really keeping their cards close and won't come out and give me a price. So, I looked on the computer and found what looks like a good price but it's in another state. I don't know beans about this dealer. I called him and he did answer my questions but I'm still not sure this is a good idea. I fly there, sign a bunch of papers, hop on and ride home. But, now I have to deal with California DMV and I EXPECT problems. Have any members purchased their bikes from out of state and what kinds of experiences did you have? I figure I can save maybe 3 grand....
Lay it on.... Don't hold back.

Thanks
LOCNUT!

·
Registered
402 Posts
I bought my Wing from a private party in Utah. Our DMV required a VIN inspection and that was about it. Because I bought it from a private party, the sale was exempt from state sales tax to boot.

I also bought my truck new from a Utah dealer and registration in Nevada for it was relatively simple too except for having to cough up the sales tax.

Can't speak for California but the Nevada DMV website provided registration requirement information regarding out of state purchases. Much like your situation, Las Vegas dealers also play games so I tend to travel out of state for most of my engine powered purchases.

Unless California has some weird laws regarding out of state purchases (i.e. auto emissions standards) I would not hesitate to take my money out of state to make a better deal. While you're riding it home, you can contemplate what accessories to buy with the money you saved. How far away is the out-of-town dealer?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I live in Maryland and purchased my 'wing from Southern Power Sports and rode it home.
Paid cash (wrote a personal check), called my insurance agent and gave him the VIN before I left the lot. Southern gave me a bill of sale along with a 30-day temporary tag.

Once the check cleared, Southern sent me the certificate of origin. Once I had that, I took it along with the bill of sale and insurance information to the Maryland MVA to get my tags & title. No muss or fuss.

Knowing little about California vehicle regulations, I would check with the MVA to see what is required for titling and registration, especially concerning emmission standards.

I would ask the dealer to show you and provide you with the paperwork that the 'wing you are purchasing is California compliant. It would be a real pain to buy a machine you couldn't register.

Hope this helps.

Respectfully,

Jim

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Check these guys out, they are in Calif.
http://www.otdcyclesports.com/?content/view&conId:1
I got a quote from them on line and took it to my local dealer, Chaparral motor sports in San Bernardino, Ca and they beat it buy several hundred dollar. Get a quote from them and go to your dealer and see what they will do. Most dealers will act if they know your serious sales are slow now you should just about be able to name your price. Another thing is get a nice low mileage used Wing, there are several out there right now real cheap with low miles and accessories,

In 03 I bought an 02 in Oregon, I flew there and rode it home to So. Calif and no problem with the DMV. I took it there and the just checked the VIN and the motor number, Know where these 2 numbers are before you go to the DMV.
Here is one in Texas
Located near San Antonio, Tx. Unfortunately, I need to sell this black, Premium Audio Wing with less than 5000 miles. I will include the GPS and XM Radio (wired into the comm system). Asking $15900.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Joe and others in CA know more about the DMV's requirements and are a good source of information. Here in PA, if you buy out of state you pay the sales tax when you register the bike in PA and then have it inspected. No big deal. Good luck, and hope you find your Wing..

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
If it's new, there should be less hassle than if it's used. As far as I know all current GL's are California emisions compliant.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Locknut,
There are many great deals right here in Southern Cal. I know where you could get a new 08 Airbag under $20K or a new 2010 ABS for under $23K. For example, I got my new 2010 ABS OTD for $23K without my trade.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Heck...Just tell your state that you bought in on the internet...you won't need to pay taxes.....:D....spend over $10,000 the shipping will be free.....:D

I just had to say that...all my customers do...."I can get it on the internet and don't have to pay taxes..."..

I would just call your state DMV and ask them...

Good Luck....Safe Ride...

·
Registered
52 Posts
A few years ago, I bought a bike new in another state and brought it back to CA. CA Dmv would not let me register it, because it had not been registered previously in the state I bought it in. Pretty stupid, but rules are rules. I went ahead and registered the bike in the state I bought it in, using a relatives address. Here is the kicker. Two year registration in that state, 24 dollars. One year registration in CA, 180 dollars. I wanna register all my stuff outside of CA.

·
Super Moderator
7,667 Posts
flyinelvis,
That's outragious for a motorcycle registration, I thought Florida was getting a little off balance when they jacked up vehicle registrations and my Wing cost as much to register as a small car years earlier. That's being greedy. Sorry for hijacking the post.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I bought my last two bikes out of state.....no problem here. I have no idea how things work on the west coast. I'd go for it. Good luck...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts