Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eric just asked me to let you know about our ride this weekend from my perspective. My first ride on the back of a bike for about 35 yrs! We took a scenic ride (which means the long way rather than a direct route, lol!) from Adelaide to Victor Harbour, I think It is about 100km. Eric will tell you if I am wrong. The trip was a bit delayed as I unexpectedly became claustrophobic with the full faced helmet Eric had set me up with, so he graciously took me to the motorbike store and bought me an open faced helmet with a visor. He just told me to add it is a 'Nolan'. It was a hot day yesterday so it was good to get to the other side of the mountain range so the hills protected us from the worst of the sun's direct heat. We ate a lovely dinner at a local seafood restaurant. Aussie seafood is recognised as some of the world's best! This morning we had a lovely cooked breakfast on the sea shore. Today's expected temp was 100F so we started the return journey a bit earlier, arriving home at lunch time. We stopped on the way home a couple of times for drinks and to stop and take photos of evidence of ancient glacial activity with massive dropstones moved long distances from their place of origin.... sorry the geological interest comes out ALL the time! LOL! I enjoyed the ride and enjoyed Eric's smile all the more that we were riding together... Here's looking forward to the big USA trip 2012!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Glad to hear you are back in the saddle with Eric. I know you will enjoy your trip through the states. I cant stand closed face helmets either!!!!

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A little bit from my prospective. It was hot, over 100f. The sabre has no wind protection like the wing does. I don't know if it would have been hotter on a wing with the protection. If so what do the Texan do in the heat on the wing. The sabre is too small in the seat but did well with the performance from the engine considering the weight. The suspension was not really up to it and that is where the wing will do better. The wing will just make it more comfortable for both of us. Because of the late start I didn't get to do all of the things planned. We went the route that I planned a couple of weeks ago. I will start with a couple of photos of the route down to Victor Harbor and the last 2 photos will be the veiw of the harbour. Eric

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The first 2 photos are in Victor Harbor, after breakfast and the Royal Enfield is the bike I would like to use on my around Australia trip in 2017. Anyone interested in joining me. You have plenty of time to save and you get a good guide as well. LOL. I am sorry I got waysided there for awhile, then the last photos are in the Inman Valley. The Inman Valley is on a secondary road between Victor Harbor and Yankalilla. It was too hot to stop for too many photos, so I will go back one day and get more photos for you all. Eric

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
Eric you & Vanessa always provide for good reading & pictures for the site. Good work mates & get ready for the Ole US of A.

·
Super Moderator
14,422 Posts
Thanks for the tour and pictures.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Eric nice pictures mate, i usally hang out in a couple of other goldwing forums but thought i would join this one as well. I see you are going to the US in 2012 we went in 2007 and will also be over there in 2012 just doing Colarado this time on the wing.

If you wish you can check out my web page at www.jonkaz.net for pictures from 2007

Johng
www.jonkaz.net

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Hey Eric: As to your question about what do Texans do when riding in the heat..the answer is simple. We sweat, gripe, and cuss. I carry a lot of water and pour it all over me when I can. The coolness only lasts about 10 minutes when its 105 F. but it gets you through the next few miles. Every time you stop at a gas station, take an extra tee shirt and soak it and change in the rest room. Wet the other and put it back in the bike for the next stop. Sometimes if we find a river or creek by the road we stop and hop in. I know that ain't safe down your way cause of them crockagators. But up here its OK. So, we just suffer like everybody else. Its this cold that's ripping me a new one. :D Isaac

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Hi Eric nice pictures mate, i usally hang out in a couple of other goldwing forums but thought i would join this one as well. I see you are going to the US in 2012 we went in 2007 and will also be over there in 2012 just doing Colarado this time on the wing.

If you wish you can check out my web page at www.jonkaz.net for pictures from 2007

Johng
www.jonkaz.net
I spend some time in Colorado and may I suggest a route? From Twin Lakes (100 miles west of Colorado Springs) to Aspen through Independence Pass. Now I have to warn you of some things though. It is a butt puckering ride you will never forget. In places its 1 lane wide and there is 2 way traffic on that road. No guard rails and 2000 ft drop on the outside. There are several switch back turns so tight that if you are riding double, you would swear your meeting your passenger coming out of the turns. The ride is stunning with the beauty of the place but my suggestion is to make sure you go Twin Lakes to Aspen on the first run. That puts you closest to the mountain and at least 15 feet from the cliffs. Be sure and take pictures when you reach the top of Independence Pass because if your like me, its a one way trip. I went over, but I didn't come back that way. It was 3 days before I was talking in a normal voice. Something to think about but it ain't for the faint of heart. When you meet another wing and there is only what seems to be 8 inches between mirrors, you wonder. "What in the world am I doing?" Just a suggestion.:eek::eek: Isaac

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Johng: I will have to make contact with you when I get to Perth on monday if posiable. When I get time there I will have a look at your travels. It looks like you are never home and a lot of the rides in Victoria I have done but there are so many good rides there you just could'nt get bored. Eric

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dreamweaver: I road the wing with the the temp at about 90f and it's hotter on the wing than on the sabre without wind protection so when it get real hot I was wondering how you got around it. You have answered that, thanks. When I was riding yesterday I was thinking those spray bottles would be good by spraying your face as you were riding. Have you ever tried that. Now I know all the northerns would just like to get on a bike ride. They have being given a good serve of the winter blues this year, so I do feel for you. Eric

·
Registered
5 Posts
I spend some time in Colorado and may I suggest a route? From Twin Lakes (100 miles west of Colorado Springs) to Aspen through Independence Pass. Now I have to warn you of some things though. It is a butt puckering ride you will never forget. In places its 1 lane wide and there is 2 way traffic on that road. No guard rails and 2000 ft drop on the outside. There are several switch back turns so tight that if you are riding double, you would swear your meeting your passenger coming out of the turns. The ride is stunning with the beauty of the place but my suggestion is to make sure you go Twin Lakes to Aspen on the first run. That puts you closest to the mountain and at least 15 feet from the cliffs. Be sure and take pictures when you reach the top of Independence Pass because if your like me, its a one way trip. I went over, but I didn't come back that way. It was 3 days before I was talking in a normal voice. Something to think about but it ain't for the faint of heart. When you meet another wing and there is only what seems to be 8 inches between mirrors, you wonder. "What in the world am I doing?" Just a suggestion.:eek::eek: Isaac
Thanks mate yes already on the route about day 4 I think, thanks for the tips
Johng
www.jonkaz.net

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks Johng: I will have to make contact with you when I get to Perth on monday if posiable. When I get time there I will have a look at your travels. It looks like you are never home and a lot of the rides in Victoria I have done but there are so many good rides there you just could'nt get bored. Eric
mate not sure where you got that i was in perth iam in Melbourne Victoria thats why there are a lot of rides in Victoria :):D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts