Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new to this forum but not new to motorcycles. However it looks as though I will be ordering my first Goldwing.

I like long rides and even on my Yamaha XVS1100 cruiser I can log a couple thousand miles during a trip. I often bring a seat cover so 2-up comfort is required (floorboards and arm rests).

So I am about to place an order for a Goldwing.....

What options do you consider requirements or must haves or should have ordered it when I bought the bike? And what options should be aftermarket later goodies?

Chrome is nice but I don't live for it. Bling is for someone else, I am into functionality.

Some of the things I would require would be for cold weather comfort. Last year I shoveled snow off my driveway before taking the Yamaha out for a trip. Crossing Crowley Lake it was about 20*f making it a little brisk at 70mph. I do have a heated suit.

I have been known to ride until I can't ride anymore so I ride at night as well. Illumination is very important an I am thinking the factory LED lamps would be good.

I have a Droid X phone so all my music is via the MP3 player so I don't need a CD changer. (really do they still make CD's?) Which brings me to my next dilemma, communications.... First off I actually enjoy not talking. I like road noise. But I should consider comms for the Goldwing. Most of my friends use chatterbox or FRS radios and Jims mobile. The Goldy has a CB option..... Is it worth it to install the $800 CB? Can I add or incorporate the chatterbox and the bluetooth most seem to be using? I am really up in the air about this one. Any input and options would be greatly appreciated. I still don't have comms on my current bike and have been skirting the issue every time it comes up. LOL

I spent about 3 months selling Honda a couple years back which is where I got the bug about a Goldwing. I have considered HD, Yamaha and Triumph dressers but everyone keeps comparing their offerings to Goldwing so... maybe I should just get the Goldy.

I have a deal coming up that is going to offer me an early retirement and the Goldwing will be my retirement present to myself. So since I am going to literally be diving in head first any input you guys (and gals) can offer would be appreciated.

I will be ordering a full blown GPS/ABS/AirBag model. And as much as I like Titanium, I think I will order a bumble bee in yellow.

TIA!

Michael
Hopefully a soon to be Winger.

·
Super Moderator
7,669 Posts
Welcome to the forums and greetings from Florida.
You've got almost all the bells and whistles; you may want a CB to communicate with others in your group. If you're not into chrome try powder coating. Yes to the LED lights and you certainly want a nice set of highway pegs or boards and a driver's backrest. Amber or white LED's to accent your yellow Wing.
Yellow was used for the GL1800 replica that celebrated 30 years of the Goldwing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
3 'must haves'

1) fog lights LED or Halogen depending on your preferences; a search will illuminate the differences
2) Highway pegs
3) driver's backrest

Congratualtions on your retirement AND congrats on your retirement gift!

·
Registered
6 Posts
For me 1. Highway pegs & 2. Backrest.

About communication, if you ride with others that have the chatterbox GMRS then don't go with the expensive CB. I've used chatterbox for a while now and I stuggled finding a 5pin DIN to mate with the chatterbox headset 6pin mini DIN... so I made my own. I intend on using this only with my wife for intercom, bike to bike will still be my chatterbox. I guess I gotten used to the low quality headsets.

Bluetooth was used for my phone, Zumo, and chatterbox. Guess it's not that necessary so decided that will not happen with the Wing.

Congrats on retirement and new Wing. Part of the fun is customizing the bike to what you like.:D

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa and congrats on your upcomming Wing purchase.

+1 for what DonaldL suggested. To that I added a rear spoiler w/brake light and Kury trunk rack. I like the way the rack looks and it's nice to carry a bag with rain suits and small item so you don't have to keep opening up the trunk. I like having the additional brake light for safty.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am fairly new to the Goldwing family too. I came over from Harley Davidson. I wanted a bike I could go long distances with comfort and still get around town in style and comfort too.
My factory options are: Fog Lights - Comfort Package - NAV - rear wing with light - Premium sound.
The lights are great! The GPS is not very user informative unless all you want is to know where you are [the maps are usually 2 or 3 years behind] The heated seat and grips and heat on your feet is great!
I think I would like the Air Bag, but I did not get it. The driver backrest is also a necessary item. I have the kuryakin [spelling] and love it. I also have their rear rider arm rests with cup holder.
Good luck and safe riding!! Welcome to the Goldwing family.

·
Registered
105 Posts
MicahelW,
I agree with everyone else, but you must go to WingStuff website and get your VIP membership to get the best low prices for all your extra stuff. I would say you would need some extra lights for the rear since you like to ride during the night. Those extra lights in the rear really make a big difference when riding at night.

·
Registered
34 Posts
1. Highway pegs
2. CB
3. Intercomm if 2up
4. Driver backrest (Utopia)
5. engine cover (pan)

If riding 2up i would add:
6. Pax armrests
7. Pax audio controller

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Agree with Pilot Ron on the Px audio controller, but go with J&M before the Honda one, much better, and it mounts to the right side grab rail so it doesn't interfere with the center stand lift. The built in i/c works just fine once you get the balance of volume and squelch set; CB is only if you want to spend time riding in groups IMO, so your bluetooth idea holds there. Everybody else is pretty well on the mark with their ideas AFAIC

·
Registered
168 Posts
What I wish were available.

I bought my GL1800 in June. I just turned 11K miles on it. I didn't want to spend the money for the navigation system and the satellite radio, but I really wanted the ABS. You can't get ABS without the others.
I wish it had an electric windshield. No luck. On board computer for milage would be nice. 12vdc outlet plug would be nice too. A seat you can easily add a back rest for the driver would be a plus. But even after all of my complaining, the darn bike drives like a dream, and I will love it until I get into a situation that I wish I had ABS. I had ABS on my last bike and I really think it saved me once. After several hundred thousand miles on bikes over the last 40 years, hopefully I can manage to "not need" ABS. I want highway pegs, but even with my bionic knee (1 yr ago) I have had so little discomfort (even on the 1000 miles in a day rides I have taken) I haven't yet. I have a home made back rest for when riding single that works great. My wife isn't fat enough though to provide any support when 2 up. Sooo I will be getting a back rest by next spring.
Be safe...:rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts