Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the situation. I have been considering switching from my long time BMW ownership (1976 to present) to a new or newer Wing for the last year.

I started looking really seriously about 3 months ago and had been figuring on an 08 (I like white) for the lower cost. So far thanks to ebay and craigs list the prices seem to be stable at $16k to $17k. Talking to 3 or 4 dealers including face to face they didn't budge on it.

The other day I found a dealer selling a 2010 the model I want, comfort, in the color I want, yellow, for $17k ($16,999) plus the usual fees. This includes the buyer incentives of the $1k accessories and .9% interest rate. So far that is the best price I have seen in a nationwide search and the dealer is in my home state. A dealer in my home town will match it as well.

The problem is they are REALLY low balling my trade in an 04 R1150RT with only 17k miles and no dings. They are going to immediately turn the bike over to the local BMW shop and do not want to keep it on their floor. The BMW shop is rather flush with used bikes so they gave a really low buy offer to them even though this is prime winter riding area.

I don't know how long past the next 5 days the $17k deal will go from the original dealer. I am thinking it may be a one off deal.

So, given the circumstances, what do the experts here think? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
In my opinion not much different than any other transaction where you the buyer is not in control.

Case in point you're trading your BMW. If you sold it outright & didn't enter that into the mix you would have more control.

I know that may not fit the bill right now but it is reality.

The simpler you make the transaction the better the deal. I remember when I bought my used Nighthawk. It was at a HD dealer & they wanted $1900 for it. I emailed them & asked if they would take $1200 Cash. I rceived a phone call & was asked if I really meant cash. Which I told the guy I would bring him 12-$100 bills, they took the deal. I had a lot of things in my favor. A Honda Sport bike @ a HD dealer & cash.

Having said all this I'm sure there are particulars of your situation I don't know but I'm only throwing in my 2 cents.

Good Luck. Ride Safe.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Try to find a buyer, at a reasonable retail price, you both agree on.
Tell the dealer you're buying the Wing from, you've sold your bike.
You want to bring the buyer in so paper work can be done to show your BMW as a trade on the new Wing, trade in value to be the amount you are selling the BMW for.
Then the dealer shows paper work selling the BMW to your buyer for the same price as the trade value. This allows you to lower the amount of sales tax you must pay and allows the dealer to show a no profit sale so he pays no tax
Offer him $50 for doing the paper work.
If that can't be handled, either find a dealer that will or buy the Wing and sell the BMW yourself.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I just bought my 2010 Level 3 for $20,850 +TT&L. From what I am hearing there are many 2010s out there and they will be sold throughout 2011. Keep in mind, there is NO 2011 Wing coming out. Dealers will continue with incentives in order to move that inventory to make room for the 2012 models. As time passes the deals will improve and of course selection will dwindle.

I think you have some time and depending on your location you may get a deal if you are willing to travel a ways.

Why not post your bike for sale on http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

surely you will get a better price. I'd forget the trade. You have less control and introduce more variables that favor the dealer. Then go shopping.

IMHO

Oh by the way.... I am a BMW to GL1800 convert

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
My personal trade-in attempt last summer: I bring in my '06 VTX with 17,000 miles on it to seek a trade-in on a '10 ABS/ Airbag dark red Wing. They offered me $ 4,500.00. That value was subtracted form the MSRVP price of the bike of $26,000.00 +/-. Out the door price for me would have been about $22,800.00 +/-. I'm ready to go for it ....but alone. The wife wanted a White Wing. I hit Craig's List and found one locally for $18,000.00 firm ( no ABS or Air-bag ). I have the Wing and I sold my VTX for $4,900.00 on Craig's List. In retrospect , the dealer was not low balling my trade-in but he was taking that trade-in value off an MSRP price.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
That's kind of the way things used to be typically Chopin. If you had a trade, you worked from MSRP on the new unit. Around here now, it's so competitive that dealers are lowballing the new unit and to cover their butt, lowballing the trade-in as well. It's a given that the trade is on wholesale value numbers, but these days they are often 'rough' value for an average or higher grade unit. It's what the market is demanding and it's hard on the guy with the used unit to trade in. Some dealerships in Alberta for the last year or so won't even consider taking a trade-in.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I suppose I should have been more clear. The real question I had was simply this. Is the $16999 price low enough to buy a bike at Christmas time or is it likely that I would get a substantially better deal (in excess of $500) later on? The reason I posted again was this was the best price I have seen to date anywhere in the US. At least as far as advertised dealer price is concerned. I expect the dealer needs to make a profit. I understand that. I know they need to pay salaries etc. so I do not begrudge them a profit. I do begrudge them a windfall however. I am a long ways from being made of money and this is going to be a tight purchase but albeit likely my last new bike. I ain't getting any younger.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
M60A1... $17k sounds like a good price based on my recent research when buying my bike. The advertised price where I bout mine is $1000 higher than your quote. I bought my below advertised price but it sounds to me like you're already getting the 'no haggle' price or real close to it. IMHO if you wait you might save a few bucks but you might not find the color you want. In the end at $17k I don' tthink the dealer is making a windfall profit so I don't think your gonna save THAT MUCH by waiting and once their gone.... they're gone. My advice based on your concerns = go get it. But sell your bike yourself if you want to squeeze a few more bucks out of the whole transaction

·
Registered
47 Posts
The "Trade in" Question

I purchased a '10 Wing this August. I had a '93 BMWK1100LT that I was trying to sell on my own for $3800. Book was somewhere around $4100+/- After two months of Craig's list and parking the bike with a "for sale" sign on it, my Honda dealer offered me $3K for it. I got my Wing for $19,999 plus tax, license, $100 dealer prep and then they took off $3k for my BMW. For the time and effort I spend messing around with trying to sell it myself, I thought the deal was fine. They had my bike on the show room floor for about two months before I noticed it was gone. I guess it just depends on how bad you need to get full price. In my case, I was delighted to have the old one gone and I'm just GA GA GA with my new Wing.
That's my story!
Locknut!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Locknut- this tells the whole story---( I was delighted to have the old one gone and I'm just GA GA GA with my new Wing.)

That's my story!
Locknut!
Congratulations - :)

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Good points up above and they lead to one conclusion: bike purchases are a process of passion. Many times we are pulled by our passionate feelings into leaving our instictive reactions behind. We seldom ever "need" to buy another bike but we sure "want" one. What you really need to consider is whether or not that 'new' bike is ringing your bell or not. If you are no longer happy with the current scoot and you sincerely long for something else and will be unsatisfied without it, then you do need to listen to your soul. Otherwise you will be totally miserable until you do. It's the fine tuning of the deal that has to be settled after that, and it's really up to you to make that decision. You never did say what the "lo-ball" price was on the Beemer, so I can't offer any help there. Get some Kelly Blue Book figures on your bike and be honest with yourself. Deals on the new bikes are skinny (I'm not kidding) so trade values are subject to the same pressure. Your call.

·
Registered
157 Posts
If at all possible it is always better to sale and buy not trade. They have to make a profit and selling a used bike can be rough right now. Many banks (depends on your credit) will not give loans on used bikes. This causes the resale or trade in value to drop even more.
Not sure how you figured what your present bike is worth.
Kelly blue book
2004 BMW R1150RT ABS Value
Send this page to a friend Email
Bookmark
December 8, 2010

* 2-Cylinders
* 4-Stroke
* 1130cc

Trade-In Value (Good Condition) $5560

Trade-in Value is what consumers can expect to receive from a dealer for a trade-in unit assuming an accurate appraisal of condition. This value will likely be less than you would receive from a private party sale because the reselling dealer incurs the cost of safety inspection.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
My 2 cents....I paid 19,300 out the door for my 08 airbag in May. I bought it in Brookhaven MS. I just checked the web site there an they want 20 plus for the 2010 models. 17K plus seems like a heck of a deal to me. YELLOW! and that is how I see that color, is WOW. No one can say (well yes they can :rolleyes:) "I did not see it."
Good luck and send us pictures if you get it. I know I am still GA GA GIGIDY GIGIDY over my wing. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts