Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I currently owwn and love a 1998 Valk standard.I have found a 2002 gold wing locally that has been repossessed by the bank. What I know over the phone is that it is a gl 1800, and hasn't ran in 2 years. It is at a towing company right now and what I have been told is that I can get this for under 3K. the bad news is that when they went to put in a battery they noticed some "black" connectors and are afraid of electrical problems in the bike. I don't believe it will run just due to the fact it has sat for 2 years, and they don't want to try because of a fear of bad electronics. What are some things I should look for? This bike seems to be going for 10K in good shape, so even with electrical problems and such, 3K seems like I am getting a steal, but there are several unknowns here. I have rebuilt several old cars and such, and I am quite handy with wiring (electrical tech. background) so the wiring doesn't scare me in the least. What scares me is that I won't be able to hear the bike run, and I don't know the mileage. I am HOPING to find that out tuesday, but they may not be willing to even turn on the key (I am assuming it is a digital odometer).

Opinions? advice? thoughts?
Here are some pics I took, and it looks very nice.

thanks!
Mike

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
First, welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. From the pics the bike looks in good condition, even for sitting 2 years. I also notice the previous owner added some additional lighting onto the bike which may be a cause for what looks like electrical problems. Things like fluids, coolant, oil etc would need to be changed first. Tires would need to be checked for cracking.

Is there a local Honda dealer you trust who could check the bike over first? Perhaps having it towed to the dealer and checked over would be worth the cost to be sure there are no major problems. If they only want $3k and everything checks out, it's a steal.. Good luck and let us know how you make out..

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
It has at least $1,500.00 worth of goodies on it. Someone intended on making this their bike. Are you feeling lucky Mike? If they are selling it " as is " I suppose they don't have to do anything, but what a bunch of wimps they are. Just hook up a battery to it and turn the key. If it has good looking oil in it, hit the starter button.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Like chopin said, see if they will let you hook up a battery to it and see if it will start. when you said BLACK connectors what do you mean? Are the battery cable ends black or are the just extra black connectors that are hanging by the battery. If that is the case than they are probably just power lines for the accessories on the bike. After looking at at the bike with all those lights and accessories I would think that is what they are. Can you take a picture of the battery area and the black connectors? Maybe we can figure out something.
You could always buy it and sell the motor and tranny and parts off of it if it turns out to be to big a job to fix but I really don't think you will have much wrong with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
connectors

Well, here is the deal.
This bike is being sold tomorrow (tuesday) for $2500 unless I offer more. They do not want to deal with it, so it is "as is". I am sure I can find out the mileage, but other than that, it is a craps shoot as to if there is anything wrong with it. the "black" connector is really a "burnt" connector. Keep in mind I am talking with a bank official who knows nothing about motorcycles. She is just repeating what the bank-hired mechanic told her. He said that when he went to put in the new battery, he saw "burnt" or "black" connector(s) (not sure if he saw just one or many) and was afraid to go any further. the owner lost his job and has been getting farther behind on his payments, and was trying to sell it, but couldn't sell it before the bank repo'd it. I am going to go in and offer $2800 for it, and I expect to get it. I bet that all the additional lighting wasn't correctly hooked up and fried a connector or two. I HOPE that is all....but even if I have to spend a few thousand into it, I should be money ahead. I will keep everyone posted.

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
We stand behind your decision. I'm feeling positive about this. Some unfortunate owner put their time and money into this bike and Goldwings aren't intentionally mistreated. I believe you have found a sapphire in a sand lot.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Can you contact the owner to ask about the condition??????????????????????
Pics look good
You can afford to spend some fix up money, if you are getting it that cheap.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
For the price I would get it. If you just sold it for parts you would get your money back

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Ok what bank and where i will be there on my 85 wing asap!!!!!!!!! Looks awesome!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Definately worth the 2800.00. You could part it out and make money if it has problems that you can't see. If it runs good, you just got the deal of the year. You are a long way before you will be upside down on this bike.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I would get the vin # and have a dealer run it and see if the frame recall has been done. Other than that I say jump on it!

·
Registered
34 Posts
for $2800 if you still had to put another $2800 into it you would still be in good shape!!!

Looks like a nice clean bike..

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
So,,, Did you get it????

·
Super Moderator
7,668 Posts
I'm going to say buy it, you can always repair the bike. If I could get a deal like that I'd chance it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts