Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always had open face helmets, and the one I have now (Arai) is starting its 7th season. I've been looking at the HJC Ci-Max and the Nolan N103 flip up helmets. Any thoughts or preferences. I saw the N103 with the high-end J&M 629 elite headset installed for $508.

I've never had a full face helmet and don't know if it will be too confining on a long trip. I guess that's why the flip model seems like a good option.

So I'm open for your preferences, thoughts and comments.

:confused:

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
I personally would like the modular options on a long haul. The problem is I haven't been on a long haul yet. There is a helmet called the " Shark " ( ? ). It looked more ergonomically designed as far as being a flip -up modular.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
We have the Nolan Model N43 Trilogy. It has a removable chin bar flip up clear shield and a build in sun screen ( sunglasses) that slide down with the push of a slide switch/Lever on the left side. It comes in handy when you want that extra sun glass protection. Got our from J&M with the sound system installed at their store in the fall of 09, If I recall they came to around $900.00 for both.
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
Two Wheel, I had been wearing a Full faced for years. Goes back to the race car days. I still do wear a full faced when I ride the Nighthawk but we got Open faced last year before our trip. The one thing that I will say is in addition to your concern of confinment, also the Full faced helmets are heavier & the modulars more yet. Not a lot mind you but they are. I remember on several long trips my neck actually getting a bit sore.

I've got a deal for you. Our heads seem to be about the same fatness. When we get riding bring a dorag & you can borrow one of my full faced for however long you need it & see if you like it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I will qualify this by saying I don't care for full face helmets. On most flip front helmets, the chin bar creates a wind problem when riding with it in the up position. The police department I just retired from started purchasing modular helmets for the motor cops last year. They have a few Nolan helmets and a few Shark brand helmets. From what I can see, the Sharks may be the better set up. The chin bar has the ability to flip completely over the helmet and be out of the way if you want to ride it with as an open face.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I have 2 Shoei helmets; a full face and a flip up. I first bought the full face to replace my old full face; it's what I always used in the past and old habits die hard. Then I bought the flip up. I use the latter most often but I switch up once in a while. Sometimes I just like the feel of that full face wrapped around my head and it is quieter if that matters. I use earplugs with either one. I don't have a headset so can't comment there. If I had to choose just 1 helmet, I'd choose the flip up.
The Shark flips up then over the top and rests all the way on the backside of the helmet so it is designed so that you can use it as an open face. I just did not like the fit and feel of it but that's a personal call.

·
Registered
219 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
I got the Shoei Multitec for Christmas and have been using it during the cold season. It's much quieter and warmer than my Shoei J-Wing. I may have to go back to the open face when the desert starts to heat back up.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Two Wheel: I would greatly appreciate it if you would get the new " Shark " helmet, that way I could see it , feel it, and try it on before Mz. Vickie and I get new helmets. BTW: I wear a size L. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Two Wheel: I would greatly appreciate it if you would get the new " Shark " helmet, that way I could see it , feel it, and try it on before Mz. Vickie and I get new helmets. BTW: I wear a size L. Thanks in advance.
You know, only you would make a request like this. You need to start spending that first Holy Communion money you've been hording.... I supose you want me to mount a car tire too to see how it works.... LOL:D:)

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've got a deal for you. Our heads seem to be about the same fatness. When we get riding bring a dorag & you can borrow one of my full faced for however long you need it & see if you like it.
That sounds like a deal. I'm planning to go to Knoxville, TN in July and if I decide to get a new helmet I'd like to have it by then. I'm sure we will have a ride together before then, so that may work out. Thanks for the offer, unlike "you know who's" offer. :):D

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I never considered a modular for the bike. Kinda silly when I just ordered modulars for me and herself for the snowmobiles:confused:
@fossil and two wheel, you guys are soooo cruel to a certain individual:p

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
That sounds like a deal. I'm planning to go to Knoxville, TN in July and if I decide to get a new helmet I'd like to have it by then. I'm sure we will have a ride together before then, so that may work out. Thanks for the offer, unlike "you know who's" offer. :):D
Ok, OK. I'll bring a dew-rag if you dew care. And I consider you a size " L ", unlike the other rider here who claims you wear the same size " Fatness " as he does.

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
Hey urban boy (dew rag?) I am not like others who have these nose in the air opinions of myself. You look at that picture you posted on Buzzy's topic. Did you ever see a more rounded melon?

Fatness it is. T.W. We'll get together for sure & yeah I guess we'll have to bring "You know who along". Can anyone say "Perkins for Breakfast?"

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Hey urban boy (dew rag?) I am not like others who have these nose in the air opinions of myself. You look at that picture you posted on Buzzy's topic. Did you ever see a more rounded melon?

Fatness it is. T.W. We'll get together for sure & yeah I guess we'll have to bring "You know who along". Can anyone say "Perkins for Breakfast?"
Next Saturday ? You can have my melon slice. If you dew know what I mean.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have the Shark and really like it. It gives you options. Chin guard folds all the way behind your head out of the way. Speakers fit in just fine.
Chopin, you should have said something when we went up to PA last fall. You could have tried my Shark helmet.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Shark Evoline Helmet

I prefer my Shark helmet when riding in cold weather, it fits real snug and keeps the weather out...if it warms up, I just flip up the chin bar and continue the ride. The Shark Evoline helmet is DOT and EEC ? (European) approved for open or closed riding.

I rode to Sturgis, SD from Florida and and discovered what I don't like about my Shark helmet, its heavy!!! Three or so thousand miles into my last trip my neck starting hurting, a real pain in the neck!! I pulled into a small town motorcycle shop and bought an open-face helmet that was almost 3lbs lighter. The store clerk was nice enought to ship my Shark home for $10.00.

The Shark is an excellent helmet. It opens and closes easily and has a built in sun visor. The insides are easy to take out for cleaning. I still use it for short trips and inclement weather but its heavvvy.
T-Rex

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
I have the Shark and really like it. It gives you options. Chin guard folds all the way behind your head out of the way. Speakers fit in just fine.
Chopin, you should have said something when we went up to PA last fall. You could have tried my Shark helmet.
I didn't hear about it until recently and I didn't know you had it. I was busy watching your tail lights for sudden and unexpected braking.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds like the weight of the flip up helmet could be an issue. Probably need to take a road trip to a cycle shop nearby and see if I can find one to try on. Closest place will probably be in Scranton or Hawley. Thanks for the info guys. Knew I could count on you...

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
I have the HJC Ci Max (2 each) and my son has the Shark. I personally think I like the HJC's the best. Flip ups are the way to go. Especially if you wear glasses. Makes it super nice when you stop for gas and to munch on something too. I also have an HJC that isn't a flip up and on my FJR it is quieter from wind noise than the flip up but on the wing you can't tell the difference. I don't think you can go wrong with HJC or Shark but I can't give an opinion about Nolan. Never could afford one. :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts