Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A 6000 kilometer (4000mile) trip was our honeymoon wish and we enjoyed American hospitality the whole way. We (my wife and I ) left home in Sudbury Ontario on August 31st, a Wednesday, and rode hard to Murdo, South Dakota on our new 2010 Honda Goldwing. That put us in a position to slow down and enjoy the Badlands National Park and a 2 night stay in Keystone S.D. The State Rest Stops were very helpful and they have a map and itinerary for the area that shows all of the attractions near Keystone and Rapid City. If you stay in these 2 places for 2-3 nights each you can experience Mount Rushmore, the Iron Mountain Road, Custer National Park which includes a wildlife loop, the Wind Caves, the Needles Highway, Boulder Canyon, Vanocker Canyon, and Spearfish Canyon. WOW!!! There are Honda dealers in Rapid City and Spearfish that are just great to visit. We finished up in Wyoming at Devil's Tower after a brief stop in Sturgis, about 3 weeks after the 'event'. Sturgis seemed like a ghost town and stores like 'The Overpriced T-shirt Store' were already closed for the season. Take my advice and order a buffalo steak somewhere and talk to all of the bikers along the way. Literally everyone else will want to hear your story and give you theirs. We had a wonderful 12 days, without any major incident. A hint...check out the motel rooms before agreeing to stay at them. The booze, the food, the motels, the taxes, the gas and everything else is much cheaper than in Canada. I guess that is the price we pay for Medicare.
Hope to spend the winter in Florida and Texas, but the U.S. Border Guards have to lighten up a bit.

·
Registered
741 Posts
We will be in the same area this summer for our vacation. Hoping to spend about a month traveling and taking it slow and easy. You just inspired me to include some of the areas you mentioned. Glad you made it back safe and sound. I bet the US border patrol were on edge because of 9/11. I may hit you up for some itinerary suggestions.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More info

You can access more info on this area of South Dakota in tghe following website... www.blackhillsbadlands.com
We did not have this as a resource going down there, but when I found it and reviewed the information I found it to be very informative.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Glad you had a good time and a safe ride,wish I could winter in the warm someplace.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
That's great Peair, glad you had a good run of it. We never got to Devils Tower when we were in the area, shouldn't have skipped it:( Sounds like your distances covered are a bit further than for us heading that way and back, pretty sure it was under 5000 km all tolled.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts