Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
saturday morning i rode out to meet up with some friends at town & country cycles in cement city, mi, it's one of those multi dealerships. they even sell honda's and harley's. i met up with lenny riding a harly ultra classic, jeff, scott, and kenny all riding their bmw gs 1200 adventures bikes. kenny called out to town & country on friday and set up a test ride on a wing. t &c had an '09 and a '10 for us to sample but because of the earth quake and all in japan didn't have a '12 on hand. my impressions of the 1800, its small and light compaired to a 1500. handles better but i didn't like the leverage of the handlebars, has more power but i really liked the brakes. linked or not they are a big improvement over the brakes on my 1500 wing and maybe sometime inthe future i'll move up to an 1800 wing. but wait the day wasn't over and jeff told me to ride with them, sounded good. lenny headed home and the rest of us headed to canton, mi. to the bmw dealership and wouldn't you know it they were having demo days promoting the new gtl1600. the power windshield is nice andcan be adjusted on the fly. brakes are fantastic and the power it has makes the 1800 wing seem under powered. but you'll need a seat, its narrow and not very comfortable. the handlebars are narrow like a sportbike too

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
kenny stopped by his house and met back up with the rest of us at the bmw dealer with his wife, the were on their harley ultra. after their ride on the gtl 1600 kenny didn't care much for it either and his wife did like the passenger seat at all and said the passenger seat on their harley ultra was much better. bmw has a nice sport tourer in the gtl 1600 but it needs somework for touring duty

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
I agree with everything you said about the 1800 and I never rode a 1500. Some handlebar risers should help the leverage, or at least reach, issue for me. When I rode the Ultra Glide in AZ, I immediately notice the easy position of the grips as more natural. The 1800's are low and forward.

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if you look at the seat on the bmw it seem very narrow cross wise because it is and makes your leges splay out at an odd angle. kenny and scott complained about it but they are shorter the me and jeff but we noticed too. now i can say i have ridden a wing of every engine size and when i sell my 1200 i'm getting a '79 wing and find an '80 - '82 1100 wing motor

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ever seen a BMW with highway pegs ?
yes, a guy i work with name joe has an r 1100 rs with highway pegs and i don't know if its kenny, scott, or jeff but one ofthem has highway pegs on their gs 1200 adventure bike. i'll see if i can get a pic tomorrow at work

1 - 6 of 6 Posts