Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well unfortunately, here I am. I have a 1986 goldwing adpencade 1200. Picked it up for pretty cheap and of course there is problems.

Siphoned out the old gas from the tank, added 2 gallons of fuel and 1/4 can of seafoam. Put new fuel filter on as well as new spark plugs. Did all this just to start with knowing the bike sat for 2 years.

After I was able to get it running with the choke, it would idle fine sorta, if you give it 2% throttle it would stumble and get really rough, get the throttle past that then it will allow you to get to higher rpms fine. Trying to take the choke off, it will die immediately. Just had it running about 30 min with choke and still trying to slowly release choke, it will do the same. Was told it needed atleast 20min to warm up with choke on but still same problem.

Now, if I have it reved up to say 2000, then I am able to take choke off slowly, but there is more problems with how it sounds. Sounds like some loud knocking on the right side of the bike (while sitting on it right side). Let go of the throttle and it dies immediately.

I assume it needs carbs cleaned due to not staying running without choke. But I've also heard about alot of ignition problems with these bikes. Would love to get some help and insight on these problems from you guys who know way more than I about these bikes.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
had on old '80 suzuki 850
that I had way back when, bought it sort of wrecked,
that is how it acted, the air filter was bad, foam, so I built one for it, and it ran like crud...
added another layer of foam just for giggles and grins, and then in ran flawlessly

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
If your going to pull the carbs take pictures of every step you are doing, this will save a lot of headaches during reassembly. Before you tear the carbs apart make sure you have a rebuild kit for them, soak them in degreaser for a couple of hours, if they have been sitting for 2 years they are in poor condition and going to need a lot of attention.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Welcome to the forum and good luck on getting your Wing running right.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Having been down that road in the past, I highly recommend that you go to a NAPA auto parts store and purchase a can of carburetor cleaner, the kind that you dip the parts in. It is nasty stuff, so pay attention to the warnings on the label, but it get rid of crud when nothing else works. If you live in California, you will probably have to go to a neighboring state to get the good old fashioned carb dip. If you use that stuff, make sure that you strip the carbs down completely. Any rubber seals or parts left in place will dissolve in the carb dip.

Make sure that each and every passage is clear, blow them out with compressed air and make SURE that air passes through them freely.

Keep in mind that diligence and persistence will pay off, resulting in a bike that runs as sweet as can be.

Reactions: Barry Dupler

·
Registered
582 Posts
another option to the carb dip is an ultrasonic cleaner. I have the harbor freight one. With enough soapy water and time I have restored some carbs that should never have made it back from dead. 50/50 simple green and water. The unit has a heater in it that gets very warm/hot. And the ultrasonic vibration will shake the years of crud from the smallest passages. It is amazing what comes floating up to the surface.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Small update, I have the plastics off and the air filter out, got hung up for a bit trying to figure out how to get to the bracket screws for the air filter A bracket. After a little bit of looking at it, finally gave the oval metal piece around it and it just pulled off. Instant access to those screws. That's where I ended the night. Since I am working 12s and have to be up in 4 hours.

JoeBunda, is that information going to be in the full service, repair book? So far in that book I have, its walked me through getting everything out of the way and about to get the carbs put.

GLblinded, I just purchased the ultrasonic cleaner from harbor freight. Happened to be on sale through the ITC for 69. You said to put simple green in it. Like 50% simple green and 50% water? Or what else do you recommend once I get around to using it?

I don't have a Napa close by but I'll take a peak at some carb cleaner dip to try out. If nothing else, I use the ultrasonic cleaner for this one and try using the dip on my 82 silverwing when I start digging into those carbs.

Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
12,871 Posts
A 50:50 mix of Pine-Sol and a 12-24 hour soak of semi-dismantled carbs cleans them to pristine condition. After the soak, you just rinse the carbs thoroughly with clean water, dry them with compressed air, reassemble and off you go.

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Registered
2003 Goldwing in Red (the fastest color)
1,700 Posts
Make sure after you dip the carbs and before you reassemble them to check that all the passages with compressed air.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Small update, I have the plastics off and the air filter out, got hung up for a bit trying to figure out how to get to the bracket screws for the air filter A bracket. After a little bit of looking at it, finally gave the oval metal piece around it and it just pulled off. Instant access to those screws. That's where I ended the night. Since I am working 12s and have to be up in 4 hours.

JoeBunda, is that information going to be in the full service, repair book? So far in that book I have, its walked me through getting everything out of the way and about to get the carbs put.

GLblinded, I just purchased the ultrasonic cleaner from harbor freight. Happened to be on sale through the ITC for 69. You said to put simple green in it. Like 50% simple green and 50% water? Or what else do you recommend once I get around to using it?

I don't have a Napa close by but I'll take a peak at some carb cleaner dip to try out. If nothing else, I use the ultrasonic cleaner for this one and try using the dip on my 82 silverwing when I start digging into those carbs.

Thanks again
Restoring some 83’ cb carbs, I started at 50/50 simple green and water. Then diluted to 10/90 simple green/water, then just water. I was still amazed at what came out of the ‘swamp carbs’ just using water. But after 2 water only rinses, they were clean. And the owner said it never ran so good before.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts