Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... before the battery goes dead. I was told these bikes have a very hot starting system. MY mistake is that I fail to realize that I've inadvertently hit the 3-position kill switch and try to start it a few times. By the 4th try (sometimes the 3rd) the battery doesn't have enough juice to start the bike. Unfortunately, I let the batt run down 2 or 3 times now not realizing I left it parked in a key position that engaged the battery - difficult to tell in bright sunlight.

I'm trickle charging my battery tonight to ensure it can fully charge.

Does 3 or 4 tries sound aobut right for these bikes? Any ideas?

·
Banned
3,181 Posts
Get a gel cell battery and don't look back. It takes a good battery to start your bike and a good battery will help keep your alternator in good shape.

·
Super Moderator
9,877 Posts
If you think about it a 1500 or 1800 has the engine close to what is found in small cars. Then think about the battery in those cars and you will see why a m/c battery will not crank as long. Best thing I have found is a "battery tender" which I always keep attached to the Wing whenever it sits. Keeps the battery fresh and ready to go.

PS.. Next time check the kill switch....lol

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you think about it a 1500 or 1800 has the engine close to what is found in small cars. Then think about the battery in those cars and you will see why a m/c battery will not crank as long. Best thing I have found is a "battery tender" which I always keep attached to the Wing whenever it sits. Keeps the battery fresh and ready to go.

PS.. Next time check the kill switch....lol
I know it sounds silly - the kill switch, but it's very hard to see that is on on/off. Most bikes it's a rocker switch, which makes it easier to know when it's engaged, visually speaking. And it's difficult to get into the habit of checking it since I never use it - even when turning off the bike after a ride. I've got some old habits to break :)

·
Super Moderator
15,239 Posts
first check your battery to be sure none of the cells are weak or dead and that its full of water

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sounds a lot like a battery issue to me. I found my 1500 would crank "okay" and the battery would not last very long if the bike didn't start right away. When I had it checked, I found the battery needed to be replaced. After I put in a new battery I realized how slowly the engine was turning before it started AND how much longer the battery would last if I had a brain fart and forgot the kill switch position. I would take a real good look at the battery before anything else.

·
Super Moderator
11,892 Posts
A 1500 should start on the first or second try. The battery should also be able to crank it for one or two seconds several times without slowing down.

·
Administrator
26,224 Posts
If you are going to go with a battery tender device, get the Honda OptimateIII. It has a full refresh and desulfating capability that will easily add years to your battery life. I use it on my sleds, bikes and RZR, even my lawn tractor. Works wonders:cool:

·
Super Moderator
15,239 Posts
get the odyssey battery and you won't need a battery tender just disconnect the battery for the winter and reconnecit it in the spring. i have had an odyssey pc680 in both wings for three years now and nither battery has ever been on a charger

1 - 11 of 11 Posts