Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning, what is everyone using as their perfered digital map when it comes to route planning? I wont bother to go over the one way conversation I had with my computer when trying to use Google Craps. Thanks.

·
Administrator
28,997 Posts
I use google don't know what your problem encounters have been but it works for me. I know my pal in Va. uses Yahoo.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
I use any and all available sources, but haven't found much difference in one or the other. Mostly I research by State and City the things that interest me and then plan my route according to traffic patterns ( even times of day or night ) and fuel availability along with available lodging, which can be done pretty much on my GPS.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Morning, the issue I had with Google was that I knew I wanted to take the "round about" route , not the most direct route. I would place a marker at cities for tracking time and distance and it would change my route to go back to the most direct route. I had the settings on to avoid HWY and no Tolls. It just seems that it could have let me create a route for user preferance? no such luck.

Attachments

·
Administrator
28,997 Posts
Morning, the issue I had with Google was that I knew I wanted to take the "round about" route , not the most direct route. I would place a marker at cities for tracking time and distance and it would change my route to go back to the most direct route. I had the settings on to avoid HWY and no Tolls. It just seems that it could have let me create a route for user preferance? no such luck.
Try following these directions. I found the same issue you had but then this helped. Not the easiest but it works.

http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9333

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Consider this a semi hijack:hijack:....The folks around know a couple of us Southern boys like the covered bridges and I couldn't help but notice your Avatar. Where is that beauty MSG?

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, I'll go back and give it a go.. you guys are so smart. I should have signed up to this group a long time ago????

·
Administrator
28,997 Posts
Thank you, I'll go back and give it a go.. you guys are so smart. I should have signed up to this group a long time ago????
Hey Ref another guy that we Buffaloed......:icon_smile_tongue:

If it doesn't quite work MSG. Send me a PM & we can try to work through it.:3dcool:

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Jack away, it is Just south of Thomaston GA, on HWY 19, Auchumpkee Creek Covered Bridge. Im in Senoia, so if you guys put a ride together let me know. We border hop alot.

·
Administrator
28,997 Posts
Hi Jack away, it is Just south of Thomaston GA, on HWY 19, Auchumpkee Creek Covered Bridge. Im in Senoia, so if you guys put a ride together let me know. We border hop alot.
Hey MSG, Ref & I'm going to include Crownfire because I know he does this as well.

An Ole Fossil just realized an interesting observation.

Southern Boys (GA,AL, & MS respectively) gauge directions, rides, & locations by Covered Bridges.

N.E. Guys (PA,VA, & MD) gauge these things by Breakfast & Ice Cream Stops.

:ThumbsUp::WellDone:

·
Administrator
15,283 Posts
Hmmmm, only 400 miles from my place Phil......sorry for the continued hijack.

Oh, I use google map and adjust the route by letting it pick first then just moving it to roads I would rather use. Then I copy regular highway maps and highlight the route I want. I have an aftermarket gps on the bike but mostly use that as a rolling map to see where I am.

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Hmmmm, only 400 miles from my place Phil......sorry for the continued hijack.

Oh, I use google map and adjust the route by letting it pick first then just moving it to roads I would rather use. Then I copy regular highway maps and highlight the route I want. I have an aftermarket gps on the bike but mostly use that as a rolling map to see where I am.
This has potential.......One more bridge for my collection.:chopper:
To stay on topic.....I have the Garmin that came on my bike. I can bust my routes up and get better results.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I like the honda planner, because of the ease of use, and the fact that I can down load the route to my Zumo GPS, store it on line, or on my lap top.

I also use a large Michelin Atlas 2013 for planning. Harley also has an atlas that shows selected routes for motorcycles.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've been using mapquest.com for 1 or 2 day trips. I like that you can "drag" the default route to some other road that you want to explore. I've never tried googlemaps. Is it mo bettah?

·
Administrator
15,283 Posts
I've been using mapquest.com for 1 or 2 day trips. I like that you can "drag" the default route to some other road that you want to explore. I've never tried googlemaps. Is it mo bettah?
I find it easier to use but what ever you are used to working with. Sounds like it works like google maps.

·
Premium Member
24,646 Posts
Google, Maplandia, Mapquest, just about anything that pops up on the screen. I ain't fussy....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts