Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After just one week and 900 miles I am loving the wing more and more each day. It is my daily commuter and weekend escape pod.
Every day after dinner, my 10 and 5 year old daughters ask, or should I say demand, a ride. Each of them gets at least a 15-20 minute ride through the neighboorhood and local park. ATGATT.

Few observations on the wing.
Power band is as wide as Texas. I have never had to down shift to avoid shudder or lack of power. This big gal just rumbles right along. 3rd gear around town and it is just like an automatic.

The VTX would jerk hard if you rolled on the throttle in a low gear while coasting, or closed it too quickly. Had to feather the clutch often to avoid bumping helmets with the passenger. Wing has no signs of that what so ever.

200+ miles between gas stops. Loving that.

Very few things about the wing that annoy me, and I can learn to live with them all.
I am fairly tall, 6'3" and I feel like I am looking down on top of the guages and control panels. Wish I could take every display and tilt it up a few degrees so I could look straight on to them.
Long legs will require a handle bar riser soon. Tight turns and I have to be sure to move my knee out of the way for fear of the handlebars hitting them and restricting the turn unexpectedly.

Brakes are very very good. Still getting used to them biting so hard, so quickly. Almost wish they didn't grab as well as they did. It is not bothering me as much as it used to. Good brakes are a good thing!

Still occasionaly honk the horn when trying to hit the turn signal, or thumb the starter when setting the cruise control No fault of the wing, just need to get used to it.

The navigation system must be activated and set prior to being on the road. It absolutely refuses to let you adjust the route, or create one while you are moving. If you can adjust the audio panel while moving, you should be able to navigate as well. At least navigate to stored favorites or look for POI's such as a gas station.

Riding position is becoming more familiar each day. I still have the feeling though that my rear end is sliding forward instead of sitting down and back. Have to re position once in awhile to avoid feeling a little crunched through the crotch of the pants.

Confused about which accessories will fit on the 2012 model. Some are obvious they will fit, but when the description says 2010 and below, it makes me wonder.

Buddies still give me cracks about riding an old man's bike, but I shrug them off. Nobody will understand the pleasure and joy of riding a wing until they own and ride one of their own. And I don't want to switch bikes for a 50 miles so they can find out.
I get asked often by people if they can ride it and I have to refuse. I am just not comfortable with handing over the keys to my girl over to just anyone.

500 mile ride down to Houston in a couple of weeks. Should have the trailer setup by then, curious to see how it handles. Somehow I feel that I won't even know there is a trailer behind me.

·
Super Moderator
28,437 Posts
Good for you man, rack up the miles & continue to have fun.

Be Safe.

·
Premium Member
23,767 Posts
It's a big bike that was not designed well for big boyz; but then again, is anything designed without Texas in mind big enough ? I don't know about the meter panel, but some fellows are tilting the Navigation screen to reduce the glare effect with washer shims. Something to think about.........

·
Registered
280 Posts
Your obervations make me want a Wing! Wait a minute - I've got one, only it's slightly older than yours :) Sounds like you are having a blast; 900 mi in the first week is pretty cool.

This weekend, I will be taking the wifey out on her maiden voyage on my 89 GW trike-like (as opposed to her just sitting on it). I bought it for the two of us to ride together, so hopefully that will work out.

Enjoy your upcoming 500-miler!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I do nothing more than my daily commute I will get about 350 miles a week. Weekends I always go on a rideabout for several hours. Bikes aren't butt jewelry.
Reminds me of when I was considering a Harley. I asked a long time Harley rider friend of mine how mechanically reliable his was. He response was "No problems at all, I have had the bike for over 6 years and have never done had any problems, and I put almost 3,000 miles a year on it".
He didn't understand how I could possibly ride that much in less than a month.
Loving the wing more and more each and every day. I have zero regret in finally pulling the trigger on one.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Get your map and start filling in those sates!! Have a ball every day.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
good for you Dougiep! I have a customer that is 6'4" and he loves his '08. He (like me) stepped up from an ST1300, but he put Heli risers on the ST. Hasn't changed the GL in any way as far as seat or bars go, Kury highway sets and a Utopia and that's it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts